By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - My ps3 has broken...AGAIN!!!

Ah you are in the US, if you were here in the UK I know a way you could get it repaired for £5. My launch PS3 crashed on me and so did the replacement a day later. Couple months later 3rd one crashed but I did a sneaky. Got continious play for £5 and a couple weeks later called to say it was no longer working.

bish bash bosh got a new PS3! It's bullshit when something so expensive does not last for years but some people get all the luck. :(

Around the Network

Do you not get any warranty period after you get it back or is it shorter than 8 months?

Also just curious since you have a BC PS3, did they say if you send it to them you won't get the BC PS3 back? I've heard places that they've stopped doing that if they have to do anything with the motherboard and that has me a little worried since I have the 80gig with full BC and 4USB slots.

yea I know that pain...hopefully PS3 slim will be less breakable

They should do what a lot of other companies do. If you get it repaired at an official center you get a 1 year warranty on the problem (parts/labor). So if this time it was the same problem as last time they fix it for free.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

JEDE3 said:
Wait... is the yellow light a HDD problem?

if not cant you

Cant you buy a external HDD and back up your HDD with that then buy a new PS3... I'm not sure how much they'll charge you to repair.

or just take the old HDD out and swap it with the new HDD. (You'd lose 20 gigs) And then you could sell the old Ps3 for like 150 dollars.

If you put the HDD in a different ps3, you'll be forced to reformat. You can back up with a PC either because the xmb encrypts back up data and the new ps3 would have to read encrypted data. This won't have happened if my kz2 data wasn't copy protected and I could just save it to a usb stick. With a ps3 that has over 120gb of data, it's hard to keep backing up. I'm 3 months behind...

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
ow Pristine20 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Where in Philadelphia do you live? Despite you being a pain in my ass, I might be able to help you.

North East Philly. Torresdale. Tx S.T.A.G.E.

Is that location near to any of these locations?

Willow Grove

ChaddsFord

Lancaster

Chalfont

Plymouth Meeting

Lansdale

Try complaining a lot. And loudly. And keep asking to speak with people's supervisors. Be unreasonable until they do something reasonable (fix the PS3 for free).

My friend and I haven't had problems with our 60GB PS3s, so it sucks to see that you've had problems twice.

Pristine20 said:

It's been only 8 months after sony sent me their refurbished console and now I have to go through the pocess again and they tell me I have to pay $149 again. The first time they told me I was one of the few unlucky ones, now they're saying the same thing again and I can't believe it. The 60gb is defective...nuff said. I've had the same exact problem: green light---turns yellow---flashes red twice now and I won't be paying for another cosmetic work.

If anyone knows alternate repair centers that can help me out (one in Philadelphia that I can visit especially), please let me know. The most important thing now is my data. I just can't start my kz2 profile all over again. I just want this ps3 repaired long enough for me to back up my data then I'll buy one of the new ones and take a 3 year store replacement warranty this time.

The funniest part of the story is that my ps1 never broke...I threw it away and my ps2 still works. Now my devil summoner 2 disc is stuck in the ps3 and I can't play even play that on my ps2 either. So much for the great "suck-disc" technology. It's almost like consoles are now engineered to fail and we're expected to take it as what it is.

To my fellow VGCz KZ2 clan members, looks like I'll be out for a while. Hopefully not too long. My respect for sony just droppped to zero. If not for kz2, I wont even repurchase a ps3. At least with RRoD, you get 3 years of warranty service. Sony won't admit they have problems.

Sorry to hear that you got F'd again...

About that last line: If the numbers of failed units are within the margin of error, they don't have to "admit" to anything, do they? Both they and Ninty have given their repair / broken numbers and they seem to fall within the margins easily. So you just got f'd twice by a faulty unit. Very unlucky :-/ *hopes his ps3 doesn't do that >_>*

If it makes you feel better I'm on my 4th PS3 right now. I think even Sony are starting to wonder what they hell I'm doing with them now.

Don't know if they have Continuous Play in the US but if so you might want to consider it. Here in UK for £5 a month Sony will replace the console (so long as you didn't smash it yourself with a sledge hammer I presume) as many times as needed so long as you cough up the £5 a month.

When my PS3 broke most recently I was quoted £150 to fix it from Sony. I said let me think about it, signed up for the Continous Play program, waited a few days (didn't want to be that obvious) then phoned up and said 'you'll never believe it, but my PS3 has just stopped working'

The way I figure it instead of spending £150 for a one time fix I'm spending the same (in installments) to ensure 3 years of cover no matter how many fixes I need.

Given how fast I seem to burn out PS3s I'm terrified to buy a 360 (which I've come close to a few times) in case I burn it out even faster!

360 owners relax - just joking.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

yo_john117 said:

This is not goina be very well accepted.

Damage control will follow shortly.

And you should bitch the living fuck out of Sony so they might fix it for free or something....unlikely, but you never know till you try.  I feel for you....its never fun having broken consoles.

I tried. Dude keeps talking policy, policy, policy...they can't even guarantee I'll get the same console back which is more important than anything else. I've always hated corporations but now...I can't descibe the hatred. Due to the lack of individuality in the process, no one can feel your pain. People just operate robotically.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler