By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony leader says Mario franchise far more superior than the Zelda Franchise

I dont understand why people claim that Zelda is Nintendo's greatest franchise, many people always claim that the Zelda franchise is superior to the Mario franchise. This does really annoy me because its not true, fair enough Zelda is a great franchise but it's not in the same league as Mario.

Just look at the history of Mario

No offense to Zelda and link but no franchise can touch Mario, so I had to address this. Because Zelda is not a better/greater franchise than Mario!

Megaman.2. out

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

Around the Network

Is it because Mario has been milked alot?

Both are great franchises and I think that it depends on you taste which one is better because they are very different.

It's like comparing Michael Jackson and the Beatles.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

You completely fail to mention The Legend of Zelda (NES), Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.

Never mind all the other main series incarnations.

Zelda is not the greatest in average score or sales, but is the greatest in some other form I forget, cos I've been drinking. I'll do some thinking and get back to you.

Mario has been milked too much.

Zelda is Nintys best franchise.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
Both are great franchises and I think that it depends on you taste which one is better because they are very different.

That was a good contribution 007!

<embed src="http://card.mygamercard.net/gears2goty/omar7700.swf" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="198" height="135">
</embed>

It depends on if you prefer platformers and everyone knows that genre obtained perfection with SMB3.

Actually,in the end, it boils down to personal opinion.
As for impact, financial and cultural, Mario is way ahead of Zelda. But the Zelda series has something of an "X" Factor, which makes it the favorite for many fans.
Also note that all the games you have mentioned(except MK64) can be replaced by a Zelda game thats just as good( even better in case of the SNES and 64 era)

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach

megaman.2. said:
amp316 said:

Thank you King of Pop. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

amp316 said:
megaman.2. said:
amp316 said:

Thank you King of Pop. 

your too kind James.

</embed>