By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sony leader says Mario franchise far more superior than the Zelda Franchise

Mario is gaming. Most people that know anything about gaming know Mario.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

Either way, the two games represent some of the best gaming moments of my life. And still lays claim to the greatest game of all time..you know the one with that blue flute.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Mario made me a gamer. Link made me a gamer aficionada. I can't decide which franchise is better. Mario is great for quickies though, whereas Link demands long passionate bouts of my attention. Can we just agree that it depends on the person and their mood?

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

I agree with the OP, Mario has brought much more to gaming than the Zelda series. Zelda is an amazing series of course but I think Mario is superior.

BoleroOfFire said:
Mario made me a gamer. Link made me a gamer aficionada. I can't decide which franchise is better. Mario is great for quickies though, whereas Link demands long passionate bouts of my attention. Can we just agree that it depends on the person and their mood?

No we can't, this is the Internet

Besides Metroid>>> Both

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Around the Network

It is all an opinion. For me they are equal in awesomeness just like Metraid is as well. And so is Pikmin!

Thos four games are a must have games for me!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Metroid>Zelda>Mario

That's all

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

In all fairness, Mario had been around a good 7 years longer than Link and the rest of the Zelda crew. Mario is one of the very first game characters ever, along with Donkey Kong and Pac Man.

Now, that said, the IPs differ greatly. Mario is about fun and enjoyment for the kid and the kid-at-heart. The Zelda series was built as a more serious game, aimed at the core gamer market, luring in a chunk of the Dungeons & Dragons crowd that was large in the 80s, fantasy fiction fans (Lord of the Rings fans, etc), and that crowd. Mario has always kept it light-hearted, where the Zelda games always had more of a serious overtone (though some kid-friendly things are added in at times).

Basically Mario was always designed to be family-centric, allowing players to take turns working on beating the game. Over time, it became more cooperative (Mario 3, Super Mario World). Zelda is a one-player experience, like a novel turned into a videogame. So, yes, Mario gains more popularity because it covers a broader range of gamer, whereas the Zelda games focus on a very specific market of gamers. This explains the sales superiority.

Now, that being said, I haven't personally touched Mario Sunshine of Super Mario Galaxy. They're not high on the list, although I am aware they are fun. I spent my time on the GC playing Resident Evil Remake and Eternal Darkness and Wind Waker. I always make a point to play every Zelda game. Its just the type of game that interests me.

To date, I've yet to find a game that comes close to the epic level of Ocarina of Time.

Different people have different tastes. Mario is an icon for the masses but the Link/Zelda series has always been a gamers series.

Mike from Morgantown

By the way, I didn't see anyone from Sony saying this -- only a forum poster -- so the OP title was misleading. (I really don't care who declares themselves what. I came into this thread looking to see a comment from SCE or SCEA, not from Megaman2).

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Mario became kind of a whore nowadays with all the spin-offs and the way Nintendo uses it to make money.