By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP GO is a MISTAKE! (have SONY not learnt anything)!!

darthdevidem01 said:
@rainbird

I doubt the existing userbase will get a PSP GO! save for a few hardcore people.

you can't play your UMD's in it, & having to switch between PSP 3000 & PSP GO! for certain games is ridiculous

And all those games would only serve to bring in a few more, and thus they would sell like shit. Better to sell them to 50M+ people than some 100k people, right?

And actually, it seems Sony are working on a solution for those who are looking to upgrade: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=75543&page=1

Around the Network

I agree that the price is a bit steep for a portable, but I think that the DD system is actually pretty bold and innovative for Sony. DD is the future, and Sony is always aiming to be on top of technology, working to future-proof themselves.

I like the idea and concept behind it, I just think they overpriced it. Somehow I have a feeling they are trying to make a hefty profit to recover from financial losses this year and last.

darthdevidem01 said:
@mrstickball

well their PS3 direction for me negates all the PSP mistakes done with GO!

Yeah.. I'll get the UMD version when it comes out. PSP Go is a joke. Don't get me wrong. Sony had the right idea, they just didn't complete the task, that's all. Everything they have for the PSP GO is just about right. Here are the things they forgot.

1) 16GB Flash or SD memory is ok, but 30GB would have been much better. That's a lot of downloads and movies right there.

2) Where's the 2nd Analog stick? Gamers practically begged for this and Sony didn't deliver.

3) What, no Touch screen options? The Wii, IPhone and even the IPod has this feature. Why did Sony skip on this?

4) No Phone features. Sony could have made this an option for a higher price PSP. Having a phone, with Touch Screen text would have been awesome for the PSP. It could have easily had competed with Apple's IPhone if done right. Especially with all the Apps they could have added.

5) UMD backward compatible. Why they didn't include an UMD slot is beyond me. Having 100% B/C is a must for handheld devices. That is why the DS Lite sold so well. With the DSi, you can't play older Gameboy games on it. Sony really blew it by not keeping this option.

6) No camera. Huh!?!? Even the DSi has one. What was Sony thinking? This obviously would be a feature with the phone option of course, but it would be a must have.

7) Priced to high. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/03/AR2009060302563.html

It's definitely priced to high with the PSP 3000 almost $80 less. $200 would have been a much better price. It obviously price this high so that Sony can make some serious money off of it to make up for $1.7 billion in losses last year. That's why there was no PS3 Price cut announced as well.

if Sony had added all these features they could have kept the price at $250 without the phone and $300 (or $325) with the phone. I think it would sell pretty well too. The way it stands now, I can't even see them selling 2-3 million of these before the end of the year.

'gaming till I'm gone'

@xanderzane

fabulous post!

& If SONY are avoiding a PS3 price cut because of this PSP GO!.....I swear I will never forgive PSP

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:

@xanderzane

fabulous post!

& If SONY are avoiding a PS3 price cut because of this PSP GO!.....I swear I will never forgive PSP

I doubt thats why they aren't cutting the price, that's just stupid.

Regardless, I don't own a PSP so I plan on getting a PSP GO at launch, in my opinion it looks incredible. Simply if you can't afford one, don't buy one, problem solved.

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@JEDE

its not only that its their attitude.

The way KAS said without any shame (its not his fault though he didn't decide the price)

"Guys we'r gonna launch the PSP GO! at the price we launched PSP 4 years ago"

Wow well done kas....thats a bargain! (lol)

Yeah, a bargain not many people will accept. Adding the 2nd analog stick would effect gamers who own the original PSP that doesn't have a 2nd analog stick. So any games that used the 2nd analog stick would alienate original PSP owners, as they wouldn't be able to play those games. Still, if this is suppose to be an upgrade, gamer should be able to trade their old PSP's in for the new one. If the price is right, people would buy it. Just look at how many DS Lite & DSi have already sold. I would have bought a new PSP if it had everything I mentioned above.

'gaming till I'm gone'

darthdevidem01 said:
@rainbird

I doubt the existing userbase will get a PSP GO! save for a few hardcore people.

you can't play your UMD's in it, & having to switch between PSP 3000 & PSP GO! for certain games is ridiculous

@outlawauoron

I wasn't aware of that, but there is an eventual limit.

Which is why you could easily just re-download them from PSN. Why couldn't you do the same or just load them onto your PC is a special format much like they did with downloaded video on Video Playstation Store.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

darthdevidem01 said:

@xanderzane

fabulous post!

They are holding off on the price cut for as long as possible, because they don't want more loses, that's all. The price cut will probably be annouced at TGS. Sony already said one is coming, so it'll be this year. I think having it in the fall will benefit Sony much better then cutting the price in the summer. The big question will be, "Will Microsoft (or Nintendo) follow suit and make price cuts of their own in the fall?"

'gaming till I'm gone'

Never been into handhelds but if I have the cash I'm going to get one. GT at LAUNCH!!!!! Awesome move. Cant miss a MGS game either.
Its expensive though, I was hoping for 170 pounds.

Ynwa.

XanderZane said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@mrstickball

well their PS3 direction for me negates all the PSP mistakes done with GO!

Yeah.. I'll get the UMD version when it comes out. PSP Go is a joke. Don't get me wrong. Sony had the right idea, they just didn't complete the task, that's all. Everything they have for the PSP GO is just about right. Here are the things they forgot.

1) 16GB Flash or SD memory is ok, but 30GB would have been much better. That's a lot of downloads and movies right there.

With the size of PSP games and the ability to add more yourself, making the PSP even more expensive by adding extra memory (which is not exactly cheap), would have been a wasted effort.

2) Where's the 2nd Analog stick? Gamers practically begged for this and Sony didn't deliver.

Okay, we have been over this a billion times, but whatever. Arhm arhm.

This is still a PSP, not a PSP2. If Sony had added the second stick, controls for future games could alienate the entire 50M+ PSP install base, which is one hell of a bad business move.

3) What, no Touch screen options? The Wii, IPhone and even the IPod has this feature. Why did Sony skip on this?

Why should they have it? To copy? To use for games and again alienate those 50M+ PSP owners who can't use it? It would be even stupider to have one, considering they are still selling the 3000, plus it would have made the PSP Go! more expensive.

4) No Phone features. Sony could have made this an option for a higher price PSP. Having a phone, with Touch Screen text would have been awesome for the PSP. It could have easily had competed with Apple's IPhone if done right. Especially with all the Apps they could have added.

Again, this is just copying and I doubt it would have competed well with the iPhone. And a more expensive PSP is not a good choice here, even if it is a second SKU. Besides, it already has Skype if you must use it for this.

5) UMD backward compatible. Why they didn't include an UMD slot is beyond me. Having 100% B/C is a must for handheld devices. That is why the DS Lite sold so well. With the DSi, you can't play older Gameboy games on it. Sony really blew it by not keeping this option.

Which is why old PSP games will be put up on the store, to make the Go! perfectly capable of playing older titles. If this device had in fact had an UMD drive, it would have defeated the entire purpose of making it more portable. It would use more power, weigh more, be bigger, more expensive and you would be carrying around games with you. There is a reason for why they will be selling the Go! alongside the 3000, Sony said themselves that this is in fact not for everyone.

6) No camera. Huh!?!? Even the DSi has one. What was Sony thinking? This obviously would be a feature with the phone option of course, but it would be a must have.

How is a camera a must have? Every cellphone has one, so if you want to take a picture use that instead of the crappy picture a PSP camera would give you. And again, the PSP is expensive enough as it is, there really is no need for a camera.

7) Priced to high. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/03/AR2009060302563.html

That I will agree with.

It's definitely priced to high with the PSP 3000 almost $80 less. $200 would have been a much better price. It obviously price this high so that Sony can make some serious money off of it to make up for $1.7 billion in losses last year. That's why there was no PS3 Price cut announced as well.

if Sony had added all these features they could have kept the price at $250 without the phone and $300 (or $325) with the phone. I think it would sell pretty well too. The way it stands now, I can't even see them selling 2-3 million of these before the end of the year.

No. By comparison, a 16 GB iPod Touch costs $299, and a 32 GB iPod Touch costs $399. Now, you want to add a touch screen, a camera, 16 GB of memory, a second analog stick and UMD compatibility and remain at $249. You sir, are delusional.

The PSP Go! is fine, just the way it is.