By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PSP GO is a MISTAKE! (have SONY not learnt anything)!!

Wow, this is madness. I'l state what I said in another thread, an although I was talking about a different subject.....It makes sense here.

I said... 'Of course they will be making profit off the PSP Go if they are currently doing so on the other models. The R&D costs will have already been borne by the company for the Go! and because it's smaller, lighter and with less power consumption it should at least be as cheap to make as the models they currently produce. Then you take into account that it's launching at $249 and they should be making money.'

The $249 in this case is a smart move, its called skimming. With the PSP Go Sony aren't forced to launch the system at a high price, they want to for a few months. People buy new products at launch because they want the latest thing, these people don't care about price. Sony will take money off them at launch and then revise the pricing.

There is so many difference from a business point of view between these 2 systems that it's crazy

Around the Network

let's wait and see how PSP Go sells in Japan before we conclude anything, OK?
if Sony has the gut to price it more than a Wii in Japan, they must have done some market research

has anyone ever paid attention to the top 10 downloaded games in Japan's PSN store?
i have never seen a single PSN games in the top 10 list, never, always PS1 classic games for PSP/PS3
and look at the massive PS1 game library in Japan PSN store
PS1 library is THE cash cow for Sony (and 3rd party developers) to milk in Japan, releasing PSP Go totally make sense

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

But it doesn't really matter on sales, its profit that matters.
PSP Go will sell enough and be profitable, thats all that counts

darthdevidem01 said:

#1. GT:Portable......that will kick start momentum.....but I would just buy a PSP 3000 & GTP on that.....why would I buy a PSP GO! for GT:P

They don't know who they are selling PSP GO! to, it will not be a success at all imo. People aren't ready for a DD only gaming system.

Not if Go is the only one to get a bundle.  Thus my GTp will be played on a PSP go.

More like you dont know wtf you are posting, 10k posts dont mean you know anything kid.

darthdevidem01 said:

I think the PSP GO! is a big mistake.

SONY don't seem to have learnt from their past experience in my opinion....

Mistakes:

#1. $250........remember E3 2006 & $599.....the price that turned this generation on its head. Well who the hell do they think is going buy a PSP GO! (which mind you I feel is a downgrade) for $250.

This one I agree with you on. I don't mind the Go! being more pricey than the 3000, but they're pushing it.

#2. DD Only.......right the i-phone worked due to apple's great experience with software that is DD & so on. SONY do not have such an experience & they are not as good as apple in the field. 16GB.....how many games will fit into that? 10 at maximum right? My UMD case at home can store 30 games in it!

Quite a few games actually. Very few games take up the 1.8 GB space a dual layer UMD can hold. God of War is 1.5 GB if I remember correctly, and that's one of the bigger games. And even so, you can still upgrade with extra space.

#3. Games.........MGS:PW.....well I'm sure its going to be enjoyable, but its not really a system seller, surely people who loved MGS got a PSP for MGS:PO & MGS:Ac!d

Okay, I know you have been banned for some time, so I'll just inform you that for months, not a week has gone by without the PSP getting at least one new game announcement. This only slowed down recently up to E3. There will be plenty of games to play.

#4. Consumer Base......SONY said they did research, but who did they ask. PSP's BIG gaming group is among the teens, the teens (14 - 18), many of them think DS is Kiddy.....how are they going justify PSP GO! when they have no credit cards (PSN cards better be coming).

I agree that PSN cards should be coming, but teens do have parents, and not every PSP owner is below the age requirement for having a credit card. And even so, the rental service coming should attract an older audience (rental service = rent a set amount of games over the PSN for a limited time for a monthly fee).

On the other hand the good things SONY did:

#1. GT:Portable......that will kick start momentum.....but I would just buy a PSP 3000 & GTP on that.....why would I buy a PSP GO! for GT:P

Indeed, that was a very good thing. You just forgot some of all the other great stuff.

They don't know who they are selling PSP GO! to, it will not be a success at all imo. People aren't ready for a DD only gaming system.

I see it bombing in sales.......<5 Million LTD for the console

Add in your own points or refute my points...atleast give a good explanation........I just see the PSP GO! being a waste of R & D budget! & OFCOURSE give your SALES predictions now that you see the shortcomings

I think it will be a nice success for what it is trying to be, and I certainly want one. Also, "now that you see the shortcomings", lol xD

Everyone with any kind of interest in a PSP Go! is aware of the things you posted here. In fact, many have praised the PSP line up of games, which you seem to find lacking

I have no idea what this thing will do LTD, but I guarantee you that it will do 5M+.

In fact, this is the PSP I want, because it is ever more portable than the 3000. It's lighter, it comes with 16 GB internal memory (and since Sony will be putting old games on the PSN store, as well as releasing all future UMD releases on the PS Store as well, I will put it to good use) and it's smaller. And the hardware changes mean that not only will games have shorter load times, they will also always be with me, and the PSP Go! will use less power then the 3000.

Around the Network

I think its perfect. 6 months from release they might even have PSPGO 32GB at this price at $249 and they can drop the PSPGO 16GB to $199. The PSP3k already fits the low cost segment. You can get a large SONY memory stick and your PSP3k is essentially a PSPGO. I don't see any negatives here except that EUR is getting screwed because their currency is worth more than the dollar.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Gamers: UMD need to go~
Gamers: I want internal HD~
Gamers: PSP is too big, it's a joke to use it as a MP3 player~
Gamers: PSP's battery doesn't last long~

Sony: There you Go, PSP Go for you

Gamers: Fail!
Gamers: Ugly!
Gamers: Where is my 2nd analog stick?
Gamers: Too expensive!
Gamers: I don't want it!

Sony: Nintendo has the true vision to target the "casual" market, they don't complain, they just pay....

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

!. 16 GB storage is fine since there aren't enough good PSP games to fill the space.

2. $250 is stupid i agree, People are complaining about Nintendo selling Wii for $250?

3. GT will be big, it's a great franchise, but unless it's exclusive to PSP go, it won't do much to boost hardware.

4. I bet some people have 3 models of the PSP sitting in their room, is there really enough reason to get a 4th? Not in my opinion.

@rainbird

system seller games.....how many from those are system sellers (ones that were announced)?

+ you can play ALL those games on PSP 3000

my argument is against PSP GO!, not PSP 3000.....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I think the price doesn't justify the purchase, is the main complaint people have.

Screen got smaller, no more UMD (people most likely wanted something else, gamers want physical items for collection purpose, I think). The good is subjective, it got smaller (people like big screens), digital content (want physical content), improve battery life (of course "downgrading" will lead to this).

Everything seems to have made it cheaper or helpful for sony (bring down pirating) but still price it that high. I think it is skimming but maybe that is a bad tactic that Sony is using, maybe get out of the "high price" zone people think you are in.