By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIV: Free-to-Play and beta announcement on PS3

ROFLMAO...yeah, it definitely going to be exclusive then...Sony likes to lose money, so I see another failure in the works. F2P doesn't work...even with micro-transactions. Sony keeps ponying up more requirements on it's servers, and believe me...like I saw when they were giving away ps3 in early 2007...this is going to get them in a hole that they can't dig out of.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network
heruamon said:
ROFLMAO...yeah, it definitely going to be exclusive then...Sony likes to lose money, so I see another failure in the works. F2P doesn't work...even with micro-transactions. Sony keeps ponying up more requirements on it's servers, and believe me...like I saw when they were giving away ps3 in early 2007...this is going to get them in a hole that they can't dig out of.

Yup a brand new final fantasy game will put sony in a hole... yup....................

Anyway link please!

@heruanom

you have a vivid imagination

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

heruamon said:

Nice trolling , please list 3 games that have failed to be succesful due to their F2P payment system. You'll notice( well being the fanboy that you are you probably have neglected to notice) that F2P is becoming increasingly popular in the MMORPG market and is replacing the traditional subscription based payment system in many new games. It's not like running the game for free = running it at a loss , advertising and micro-transactions can make a healthy profit if done correctly.

I would be up to creating and maintaing a FF14 clan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Ok, now I'm interested! I will buy this if this is true!

Carl2291 said:
Free to play = This will be as big as WoW.

It will probably sell a lot more now, but I really doubt it will come close to WoW.  They have more people currently paying $15 a month than any single FF has sold.

Anyways, if this is true I will definitely give it a shot.  The only mmo I am interested in now is EVE, but it seems like newcomers can never catch up to other people, so that kind of put a damper on things.

@Dno
http://gamer.blorge.com/2009/06/04/final-fantasy-xiv-free-to-play-and-beta-announcement-on-ps3/

Million said:
heruamon said:

Nice trolling , please list 3 games that have failed to be succesful due to their F2P payment system. You'll notice( well being the fanboy that you are you probably have neglected to notice) that F2P is becoming increasingly popular in the MMORPG market and is replacing the traditional subscription based payment system in many new games. It's not like running the game for free = running it at a loss , advertising and micro-transactions can make a healthy profit if done correctly.

Trolling...how much has WOW cost Blizzard to run?  If you don't know, then go do your homework...who pays for that upkeep...weekly maintenance, power bills for server, staffing, etc...is that all coverd by magical abilities?  Show me one F2P MMO with massive subscription...Unless you're talking micro-transaction, and then, that's not really F2P complete, imho.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

heruamon said:

Thats the worst post ive seen all week.

Congrats on your fail.