By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIV: Free-to-Play and beta announcement on PS3

@carl

I reported him, hopefully we won't see more of em soon!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@carl

He isn't trolling. What is the business model behind a free MMO? Micro-transactions, advertisement? If people don't suscribe, what is the benefit to support the game for years after release?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

darthdevidem01 said:
@carl

Reported me for saying I don't think F2P will work for a top-tier MMO...you've gotta be kidding me!  Report away, I'm expressing my opinion on a cost model that has proven itself for top-tier games, and there is nothing trolling about that.  I DON'T believe that M$ would agree to foot the bill for server and staff cost to support a MMO, and I'm not sure what sony's cost model will be either, but sony seems to have no problem taking these risk.  It's itneresting that they HAVEN'T tried the F2P model on Everquest, and many of the game that cost very readily try with tho...interesting, and it's hardly trolling to point that out.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Xen said:
Free to play on PS3? aw fuck yeah! that takes care of a big obstacle for me.

F2P equals micro transactions.  Want new armor?  That'll be $.99.  Want a new sword?  $2.99 please.  Want to buy a mount?  $4.99 please.

Either way an MMO is costly, and in this scenario it can get even more costly because the amounts you pay are smaller, but add up quickly and you can lose track of how much you spent.

outlawauron said:
I would be up to creating and maintaing a FF14 clan.

I'd join yours in a heartbeat Outlaw. Call it, "The Gallians" :D

Around the Network
heruamon said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@carl

Reported me for saying I don't think F2P will work for a top-tier MMO...you've gotta be kidding me!  Report away, I'm expressing my opinion on a cost model that has proven itself for top-tier games, and there is nothing trolling about that.  I DON'T believe that M$ would agree to foot the bill for server and staff cost to support a MMO, and I'm not sure what sony's cost model will be either, but sony seems to have no problem taking these risk.  It's itneresting that they HAVEN'T tried the F2P model on Everquest, and many of the game that cost very readily try with tho...interesting, and it's hardly trolling to point that out.

You do realize that Sony just released Free Realms, their own F2P MMO, a couple of weeks ago, right?

I don't believe it.

heruamon said:
Million said:
heruamon said:
ROFLMAO...yeah, it definitely going to be exclusive then...Sony likes to lose money, so I see another failure in the works. F2P doesn't work...even with micro-transactions. Sony keeps ponying up more requirements on it's servers, and believe me...like I saw when they were giving away ps3 in early 2007...this is going to get them in a hole that they can't dig out of.

Nice trolling , please list 3 games that have failed to be succesful due to their F2P payment system. You'll notice( well being the fanboy that you are you probably have neglected to notice) that F2P is becoming increasingly popular in the MMORPG market and is replacing the traditional subscription based payment system in many new games. It's not like running the game for free = running it at a loss , advertising and micro-transactions can make a healthy profit if done correctly.

Trolling...how much has WOW cost Blizzard to run?  If you don't know, then go do your homework...who pays for that upkeep...weekly maintenance, power bills for server, staffing, etc...is that all coverd by magical abilities?  Show me one F2P MMO with massive subscription...Unless you're talking micro-transaction, and then, that's not really F2P complete, imho.

Square Enix makes more games than Blizzard does.  they could use the money they get from other games to help support for FFXIV servers.  Also, Micro-transactions are Free to PLAY.

@outlaw

I'll join your clan!!

I don't suck.....honest!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

WoW cost blizzard at least $200 million (and that's what they are reporting)...is Sony going to "eat" those millions in cost? When you try to point this out...all of a sudden, you're a troll...wtf...what fantasy world do some of these posters live in? Never say Never, but I don't see M$ eating that cost...also...I'm assuming sony is going to "eat" the cost for PC maintenance as well, since this is suppose to be a world inhabited by all formats?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder