By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii= Gamecube 1.5 says N'Gai Croal

Snesboy said:

Sony said PS3 was 35 times more powerful than PS2. Yeah right.

Well that's not hard to do... ask the Xbox and the Gamecube

Snesboy said:

Microsoft also said before 360's release that it was 10 times more powerful than Xbox.

I actually remember that in 360's official site said it was 4 times more powerful than Xbox. That was at launch, it doesn't says anymore.

Around the Network

Snesboy said:

I believe Nintendo was the most modest and down-to-earth with their statement of 2-3 times more powerful than GameCube though.

And it can be with those clock speeds (which are written on the chips by the way), if for instance, there were twice as many graphic pipelines on the Wii. Now, the article says there aren't, that there's 16 in both the GC and Wii, but that I find much harder to believe given die sizes and stuff. The clock speed is actually the most believable thing so far, since it's written on the damn chips.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
fazz said:
Snesboy said:

Snesboy said:

Microsoft also said before 360's release that it was 10 times more powerful than Xbox.

I actually remember that in 360's official site said it was 4 times more powerful than Xbox. That was at launch, it doesn't says anymore.

hmmmm, i always thought that the PS2 looked better than the Gamecube. Im not into hardware specs, but I didn't find anything on Gamecube that looked as good as God of War 2 or Shadow of Colosus.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I can forgive his utter focus on tech specs to the (near-)exclusion of the Wii's control advantages, because - after all - the tech specs are what he's there to talk about; but trotting out the "when the others hit $200 it's a new ballgame" is just goddamned ignorant. As we all know, by the time the 360 with HDD is at $200, the Wii will be at or below $150; when and if the PS3 gets near $200, the Wii will be at $100.

OMGWTFLOL BIAS

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

outlawauron said:
fazz said:
Snesboy said:

Snesboy said:

I actually remember that in 360's official site said it was 4 times more powerful than Xbox. That was at launch, it doesn't says anymore.

hmmmm, i always thought that the PS2 looked better than the Gamecube. Im not into hardware specs, but I didn't find anything on Gamecube that looked as good as God of War 2 or Shadow of Colosus.

More popular system = more developers spending more time, more effort, and more money to make games with MOAR GRAFX.  The Gamecube was more powerful, this is not in serious doubt at all.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

SNESboy should be banned, he is someone else(blue,gballzack etc..), I knew he was suspicious(or she) of something, he is starting to troll.

@fazz

The 360 is only 4 times more powerful than the xbox? How much more powerful was the xbox than the ps2?

mM
KruzeS said:

Snesboy said:

I believe Nintendo was the most modest and down-to-earth with their statement of 2-3 times more powerful than GameCube though.

And it can be with those clock speeds (which are written on the chips by the way), if for instance, there were twice as many graphic pipelines on the Wii. Now, the article says there aren't, that there's 16 in both the GC and Wii, but that I find much harder to believe given die sizes and stuff. The clock speed is actually the most believable thing so far, since it's written on the damn chips.

Confusing pipelines and TEV stages again.  We went over this in a thread two weeks ago.  You're right, though, that the Hollywood's die size suggests that they've doubled the number of pipelines.  It would be from 4 pipelines in the Gamecube to 8 pipelines in the Wii.

What makes me really question this article is this quote: "By taking these measurements and the process node (which was the only piece of information released by Nintendo) into account, we quickly realized that Broadway and Hollywood were not significant departures from their GameCube equivalents; the sizes were simply too close."  I don't know how you could come to that kind of conclusion based on the die sizes and process shrinks between the Flipper and Hollywood.  I'd really like to see some explanation there when multiple other sources are quoting 2-3x the number of transistors in Hollywood.

Entroper said: Confusing pipelines and TEV stages again. We went over this in a thread two weeks ago.

You're right, thanks. Was it just two weeks ago? My memory sucks right now...

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

I love the Gamecube 1.5, don't you? XD I just find it funny when people say stuff like that!

Wii cought my attention cause of a new way to play, that was different and seemed fun from the others. Of course the little extra power is welcomed but the gameplay is the part I like the most.

Snesboy said:
Already been stated like 50 times. Besides, I read on Wikipedia that Wii's CPU is clocked at 729MHz and its GPU is clocked at 243MHz. THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Nintendo has gone on record to say that Wii is 2-3 times more powerful than GameCube. Using this logic, and the GameCube's base clock speeds, we can calculate the Wii's CPU and GPU. Let's average the 2-3 to 2.5. So know our equation looks like this:

GameCube "Gekko" CPU: 485 MHz
GameCube "Flipper" GPU: 162 MHz

Now let's multiply them by 2.5!

485 x 2.5 = 1212.5 MHz = 1.2 GHz "Broadway" CPU

162 x 2.5 = 405 MHz "Hollywood" GPU

So know we know how powerful Wii is! It is still not as powerful as Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 but it is more powerful than we thought!

Wii Hardware Specs:

"Broadway" CPU: 1.2 GHz
"Hollywood" GPU: 405 MHz

You are soooo wrong... but whatever....  the Wii has some great looking games coming but it is definately not clocked the way you think it is.

I bought a Wii because it fit with the style of gaming I wanted to play.  I sucked at shooting games using old controllers...  The Wii allows me to play on par with everyone else!  Yay! 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.