By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii= Gamecube 1.5 says N'Gai Croal

http://72.3.228.88/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/09/24/is-wii-really-gamecube-one-point-five-yes-says-beyond3d.aspx

Don't flame, I just wanted to post this before some fanboy made a huge deal about it. I really like the Wii and I can't for Battalion Wars 2 and SMG. Anyway discuss.

Around the Network

Beating a dead horse.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I don't think anyone will argue that the Wii (in terms of graphical capabilities) is a huge leap forward over the Gamecube; I don't think Nintendo ever intended it to be a graphical powerhouse either.

Personally, I suspect:

1. Nintendo looked at the statistics and noticed how slow HDTV adoption is, how many people bought HDTVs for reasons other than their higher definition, and how few people even knew how to hook up HDTVs.
  2. Saw Microsoft and Sony's approach in the market and realized that they would be producing expensive consoles which the majority of potential users would not have the hardware to take advantage of them until late in the generation.
  3. Realized that the approach they were taking did not require much of a processing improvement inorder to be successful.

I don't really care what amount of Gamecubes the Wii is...

I look at games like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Brawl...I know those couldn't be done on GC, Xbox, or PS2, and the art and style put into Nintendo's games puts them at a higher level regardless of straight processing power and such.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
I don't really care what amount of Gamecubes the Wii is...

I look at games like Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid, Brawl...I know those couldn't be done on GC, Xbox, or PS2, and the art and style put into Nintendo's games puts them at a higher level regardless of straight processing power and such.

Don't forgot about Battalion Wars 2. That games looks awesome and its online.

Around the Network

*yawn*

I think I discovered the meaning of a Freudian slip yesterday.....
I was having dinner with my girlfriend and I wanted to say,
"Could you please pass the butter?"
But instead I said, "You bitch, you managed to ruin my life."

How many of these articles are gonna be written before people figure out that the Camry outsells any BMW series by more than 3 to 1.

Cmon people, games sell consoles, not tech specs.

N'Gai doesn't say that in this article. The article is written by a website called Beyond3d.

And it's moot. Unless you want to go where the article goes which is to start a dialogue about what the Wii means for gaming and whether it is the right approach. But that would be another thread.

Already been stated like 50 times. Besides, I read on Wikipedia that Wii's CPU is clocked at 729MHz and its GPU is clocked at 243MHz. THIS IS NOT TRUE.

Nintendo has gone on record to say that Wii is 2-3 times more powerful than GameCube. Using this logic, and the GameCube's base clock speeds, we can calculate the Wii's CPU and GPU. Let's average the 2-3 to 2.5. So know our equation looks like this:

GameCube "Gekko" CPU: 485 MHz
GameCube "Flipper" GPU: 162 MHz

Now let's multiply them by 2.5!

485 x 2.5 = 1212.5 MHz = 1.2 GHz "Broadway" CPU

162 x 2.5 = 405 MHz "Hollywood" GPU

So know we know how powerful Wii is! It is still not as powerful as Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 but it is more powerful than we thought!

Wii Hardware Specs:

"Broadway" CPU: 1.2 GHz
"Hollywood" GPU: 405 MHz

@ Soriku

Lets not jump to conclusions. Not everything is a conspiracy against Nintendo.