By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 at 399$ on 3rd year is ahead of GC(99$) by 8 mln. =)

^^

HELL YEA!!! Expecily when you look at the price

Around the Network

Wow I never looked at it that way. By Sony's standards and expectations that is not good enough. But a 400 dollar console doing better than a 99 dollar one is just sad.

BladeOfGod said:
The worst selling Sony console is selling better than worst selling Nintendo console :)

I am sure investors will be more concerned with profit, rather than the number of consoles sold.

I'm not really sure how this comparison is even relevant. The PS3 is selling more but probably losing even more money compared to the Gamecube, which probably loss close to nothing if anything.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

@BladeOfGod:
Jokes apart, considering also all things gone wrong, it's faring more than decently.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

jcp234 said:
BladeOfGod said:
The worst selling Sony console is selling better than worst selling Nintendo console :)

I am sure investors will be more concerned with profit, rather than the number of consoles sold.

I'm not really sure how this comparison is even relevant. The PS3 is selling more but probably losing even more money compared to the Gamecube, which probably loss close to nothing if anything.

Except for Nintendo, all other competitors always sold HW at a loss for at least two years, to make 2 and 1/2 or even 3 years initial HW losses acceptable Sony must stick with a long lifecycle plan (that doesn't mean not releasing PS4, in its later years PS3 can still exist as entry level console, just as PS2 did and is still doing).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
rafichamp said:
@radioio, Microsoft lost 9 billion dollars with the xbox, got a excuse for that?

No excuse is needed. Microsoft's primary objective with the Xbox wasn't to make profit, it was to remove their biggest threat from taking over the living room.

And it worked, in the space of just 7-odd years, Sony has been moved from the market-leading position, to losing the race, at the same time they are bleeding money just trying to keep into the race, and software sells considerably better on the 360.

Next generation will be an interesting one. Microsoft has two choices for the next generation, they can use their new found position to try and get as much profit as possible, or do they go for Nintendo? I'm thinking that they will go for the latter, yeah that may seem laughable now, but so did them going after Sony 7 years ago. The long term benefits of being in first place is greater than the short term benefits of being in second place. Microsoft should know this, they've spent their entire life following this philosophy.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
jcp234 said:
BladeOfGod said:

Except for Nintendo, all other competitors always sold HW at a loss for at least two years, to make 2 and 1/2 or even 3 years initial HW losses acceptable Sony must stick with a long lifecycle plan (that doesn't mean not releasing PS4, in its later years PS3 can still exist as entry level console, just as PS2 did and is still doing).

LOL I am very much aware of this. But I am sure the intent of this topic was to somehow credit the PS3 with some achievement and discredit the Gamecube. Which I think is pretty pretentious considering the Gamecube cycle will more than likely be more profitable than the PS3 cycle, which is what investors care about. Investors do not care if selling hardware at a loss is the traditional business strategy for the industry, but they do care about profit. I just find it funny that the grounds of this topic is a console taking massive losses selling better than a console that actually made money. But I guess there really isn't much logic to Sony fanboy syndrome.

And I do not think it is appropriate to compare the PS2 with the PS3. The PS3 will never be what the PS2 is.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

jcp234 said:
BladeOfGod said:

PS3 still has 7 years to go ( according to Sony ) so it can still make all the profit GC did,(maybe even more )

BladeOfGod said:
jcp234 said:
BladeOfGod said:

PS3 still has 7 years to go ( according to Sony ) so it can still make all the profit GC did,(maybe even more )

So, you believe in the end, the PS3 will make enough profit to net the losses it has made in the past and it is going to make this year and probably next year? Enough so, to equal the profits of the gamecube?

Maybe you should honestly consider the type of market conditions needed to achieve that kind of performance in seven years. Just does not sound very logical, but then again...a lot of things within this thread do not.

LoLz, i thought, This was a SALES thread, not PROFIT thread. =))
Not to mention, that Nintendo during GC was profitable thnx to GBA and DS sales. =)

GC had highest rated exclusive games? So, WHAT? Highest rated =/= best games, the media today is biased.
What GC games were better than:

Uncharted
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Ratchet & Clank
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
Killzone 2
Motorstorm:Pacific Rift
Naruto:Ultimate Ninja Storm
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
Warhawk
New Siren game
Demon`s Soul
inFAMOUS

PS3 today has a LOT of REALLY amazing exclusive games today and MUCH more GREAT games incoming.

Sony Gaming Division lost 2,5 bln. since PS3 release in 2,5 years? How much PROFIT it made on blu-ray sales? How much it will make in next 5 years?
Anyway, this thread is not about profit it`s about SALES. AND i always thought, VGC site was also about SALES. =))

So far, PS3 is selling MUCH better, than GC at it`s price.
AND don`t worry people, Sony will drop price for PS3 soon or later. PS3 is a MUST HAVE console this gen and WILL pass 100 mln. in any case. =)

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far