By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 at 399$ on 3rd year is ahead of GC(99$) by 8 mln. =)

Great...
>.>

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=74407

Around the Network
BladeOfGod said:
TWRoO said:
BladeOfGod said:
TWRoO said:
BladeOfGod said:
TheTruthProphet said:

@megadude -

Sony has lost 6 billion $$$$ on the ps3 in 2 YEARS!!!!!!!!! WRONG!!! Well, I would say it is probably right if you take the first two years.... where SCE lost $2bil and $1.5bil in 2 years So $6 billion on PS3 alone is probable.... if you look at the full history of the PS3 though it has lost $7 billion in ~3.5 years. I dont follow. Explain it better. 2 billion + 1,5 billion is 3,5 billion not 6 billion, where did you found those other 3 billion SCE is more than just the PS3. What I was saying is that the PS3 has lost MORE than $6 billion... easily more. If we look at the last 3 Financial years, SCE have lost over $4 billion, but that is whilst profiting from the PS2 and the PSP.... So I was confirming that what TheTruthProphet said is "probably right" if you just look at those two fiscal years (2007 and 2008).... but when you factor in the last Fiscal year (2009) as well as the big hit SCE took to it's FY2006 profits (which was clearly due in large part to PS3 R&D) then we get to what I said at the end of the blue text: --"$7 billion in ~3.5 years"

1 product = 6 billion in losses AND GROWING!!!!!!! WRONG It is 1 product, it has lost more than $6billion, and it is losing more, so it is in fact correc t Original Xbox lost about the 6 billion as well Well it is difficult to pick apart accurately, but simple enough to figure out it is less than $6 billion.... the EDD of MS lost $6 billion over the course of the Xboxs life, but that is ignoring the facts that the X360 did not spring out of existance without any R&D money spent on it, as well the Xbox period covering what will have been expenses making the Zune, but not much of the profits from it.
However, ignoring the Zune and other products
It can be split roughly into $5 billion losses for the Xbox, and $4 billion for the X360.

Microsoft lost 9 billion in 8 years on SEVERAL 3 products. There are other products in the EDD division than Xbox and Zune Again, Original Xbox lost about 5-6 billion but i dont see him mentioning that True, but considering the X360 is now profitable, and the PS3 at minus $7billion and counting, I think the probability that by this time next year  the PS3 will have lost more money than the next 2 worst profiting consoles (both Xboxes) is quite significant.

Sony has equaled 2/3  1/3 of microsoft's losses in 2 3 wonderful years....all for the glory of LAST PLACE. Well the sentence structure implies what "Sony"s losses are... which makes it complex, but it was implied thatit's solely PS3 put against the 2 xboxes I believe.... so in fact, Sony have lost more than 2/3rds of Xbox losses in 3 years...... although if you choose to look at it as PS3 division in the last 3 years, versus xbox division total, then that would in fact be 1/2, not 1/3.

I checked the numbers in this thread and apperently, SCE never had a loss close to 7 billion (hell, i dont even think they had that huge loss in entire company's history):

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57802&page=1

Oy vey you are difficult.

SCE DOES NOT EQUAL PS3 ONLY!

SCE includes PS2, PSP and PS3... they report profits for the division, not for each console..... think about it.... before the PSP came (FY 2003 in liquid ninjas thread) along SCE was making $1 billion per year, so that is what the PS2 is capable of profit wise... PS2 on it's own probably made a bit more than that in the following 2 years (FY2004/5) BUT some of those profits were masked by the PSP, which was draining money at the time.... which is why SCE made $600 million, followed by $400 million instead of making over $1 billion like they would have done without the PSP.

The drop in profits for FY 2006 down to only $77 million is too large to be PSP only... I would estimate that that year was relatively break even for PSP, or at lease minimal losses, but the PS2 was still selling amazingly, as was it's software, so without PSP and PS3 influence they would probably have made at least close to $1 billion.... instead though, they barely made a profit.

Then the big ones... SCE lost $2 billion, then $1 billion, and last year lost $600 million. During those 3 years, both the PS2 and PSP were definately profitable.... so if the PS3 had not been there, the division would have made profits... estimating those profits is what I am doing to show that the PS3 has lost Sony a lot more than $4 billion..... because the PS3 both wiped out any profit made, as well as adding huge losses too.

----

So you don't just look at those figures in that thread... it is not too difficult to pick apart the 4 PS consoles (PS1,2,3 and P) because they launched at seperate times.... the Xboxs would be simple to pull apart too if it weren't for Zune and such, but assuming other bits of EDD have little impact is the best way to do it as we don't have a clue whether Zune etc made a proft or a loss.
Nintendo is a little more difficult to pull apart, partly because of the longer history, but also because through that history they had multiple consoles/handhelds at the same time, particularly if they launched within a year like the GBA and GC.

BladeOfGod said:
kowenicki said:
What a weak thread... just stop trying to convince yourself that the PS3 is a huge success, it isnt. by any measure, because pre launch it was expected by all (including you) to be the market leader.

beating the gamecube is a very hollow victory.

So its PS3's fault everyone expected way too much from 399$ console?

Yes, it is (well Sony's actually).  4D gaming...  People will get a second job to buy one... It will sell 6 million even if it didn't have any games...

They hyped the PS3 to holy hell and back.  It is 100% their fault.

rafichamp said:
@TheTruth, actually the PS3 all together has lost Sony about 2.5 billion dollars since 2006. The xbox has lost microsoft 9 billion dollars, just the xbox. Then the 360 has lost microsoft 600 million dollars. There is a thread about this.

Lol, that's a nice cherry picking, you aren't counting a lot of factors in that comment, but supposing that it's like this (which is NOT) i think like i stated earlier, that a company around 8 times bigger than Sony can deal to have around a 300-400% of loses of Sony.

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

Jo21 said:
twesterm said:
So...you're trying to prove that the PS3 did better than the worst console last gen? Do you also brag when you can beat a 4th grader at any given sport?

so whats 360 a 5th grader?

they both in third place and always compared. and also the same time frame 360 it's behind the ps3 with a cheaper price.

Honestly Jo be a bit more mature, you see somebody insult the PS3 and you have to take a jab at the 360 .. really lame.

And FYI Twesterm wasn't call the PS3 a 4th grader he was using it as a comparison as to how stupid this topic is.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:

@shokenchi, 100$ price cut will lead to better software sales and movie sales = more money from soft. =)
Also, don`t forget, that this summer Sony will have 45nm RSX and Cell.

@aderoche, not in case of PS2, which by that time had even higher sales, but that also thnx to 199$ price point. =)

@twesterm, MOST EXPENSIVE console this gen is doing MUCH better, then MOST CHEAPEST console last gen. =)

Twes got POWNED LMAO

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Interesting topic. Maybe there should also be a comparison of Gamecube to PS3 profit/loss as well?

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

I'm worried and scared to death: if Sony really has tons of big announcements this E3, even worse if a lot of them are for 2009 too, will Crazzy transform into a Super Shark Saiyan???     

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

The worst selling Sony console is selling better than worst selling Nintendo console :)

^^
Achievement!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!