By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is High Voltage Software Nintendo's spiritual Rare?

HVS has made tons of Shovelware but it paid the bills but no love or energy was put into them. HVS is showing what Nintendo wanted Wii to be a opportunistic console(well originally when they first talked about it before we even saw the Wii in form and was code named revolution) with the smaller financial risk to open up new ideas and new energy.

Sadly most of that backfired with party games by most 3rd parties,HVS has gone back to that in at least putting a lot of TLC and we have seen more of that in games this year for Wii. HVS I think has set personal goals to be the next top 3rd party developer from nowhere so they don't need to rely on shovelware anymore to pay the bills.

Around the Network

WAAAAYYY to early to tell.

I do find it interesting that most people bring up Rare's N64 games, when I believe they truly shined the brightest on the SNES. The Donkey Kong Trilogy was amazing (and arguably better than even some of Nintendo's high quality titles on the console). It's funny that Nintendo might finally be able to replace the loss of Rare with Sega (the publishers for HVS - at least The Conduit) when Rare helped them beat Sega for two gens :)

Currently dreaming of: DKC4 or Sonic the Hedgehog 4 (classic 2D platformers) for WiiWare, Smash Bros. for DSi, New Super Mario World for DSi, a Wii remake or true sequel of Final Fantasy Tactics.

One down, hopefully more awesomeness to come.

KylieDog said:
If they were RARE they would have released 4-5 games by now.

Unlike Rare(Ware), they just got their own money to pay for these games themselves :P They didn't have enough before to fund one.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

KylieDog said:
Should also take note that Rare managed to shine when plenty of other devs were making great games on the Wii and had good competetition. High Voltage are (lets assume Conduit is great) doing it when most games on Wii are a joke.

Was that part really necessary?

KylieDog said:
I had to imply some form of negative view on the state of the majority Wii games...

What would you have put?

Rare managed to thrive during a generation that many consider to be one of the best in the history of gaming in which many developers put out some of their most memorable titles that would be praised for generations to come.

You can put Rare's achievement into perspective without insulting the Wii's library.

Around the Network
Ghutto said:
Rare =/= RareWare.

Rare is a trash. A waste of money and time.

Also, Square =/= Squaresoft

Square, and especially Square-Enix is a trash. A waste of money and time.

routsounmanman said:
Ghutto said:
Rare =/= RareWare.

Rare is a trash. A waste of money and time.

Also, Square =/= Squaresoft

Square, and especially Square-Enix is a trash. A waste of money and time.

Square is what most gamers used to call Squaresoft back in the day. SE =/= Square is much more appropriate.

SE's efforts on the handhelds are excellent, however. On a home console, they're pretty much a waste, that's true.

Ryudo said:
If they prove to have good games then I see them more as another Retro,remember before Metroid Retro had Raven Blade,NFL football,Mario Football,some twisted metal game all in the works so they had many ideas and obviously the talent. HVS could be the new Retro without the Metroid.

High Voltage could definatly become the next Retro. As for the next RareWare I don't think were going to ever see a new RareWare. Retro I think had the best chance of living up to that glory but once they were assigned to Prime all their origional IP's were disgarded. In order for a studio to truly live up to RareWare's reputation they would have to create origional IP's for Nintendo. To be honest I think the only true studio's that live up to Rare's reputation are Nintendo own internal developers like EAD Kyoto and EAD Tokyo.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Maybe they should give them the Metroid license.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

KylieDog said:
Should also take note that Rare managed to shine when plenty of other devs were making great games on the Wii and had good competetition. High Voltage are (lets assume Conduit is great) doing it when most games on all current gen systems are a joke.

Edited for truthfulness.