By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PAL Charts week 21 (2009). Pokemon Platinum, Punch-Out, Bionic Commando...

UK video games market bounces back after slump

Weekly sales leap 55 per cent due to new releases and half term anticipation

The UK video games market’s weekly value has topped £20 million for the first time since April, MCV can reveal.

According to MCV calculations, based on today’s Gfk-ChartTrack/ELSPA weekly report, the UK market has hit £21.2 million for the week ending May 23rd.

This is a 55 per cent rise from last week’s result of £13.7 million, which was the lowest reported figure for almost two years.

The release of three major new games – THQ’s UFC 2009: Undisputed, Nintendo’s Pokemon Platinum and EA Sports Active – is the reason behind this week’s rise. Meanwhile, the arrival of half term benefited current chart games, with every Top Ten game besides FIFA 2009 enjoying a sales increase this week.

“The market reacts when big new games are released,” said UK GfK-ChartTrack director Dorian Bloch.

“In the last two months we’ve been starved on triple-A releases, so to have three come at the same time will certainly have an impact. And it is also half term, so the kids are off looking for some games to play.

“There are several big titles due over the coming weeks, including The Sims 3 and Infamous, so there’s reason to believe these results will continue for some time.”

Last week MCV revealed that the UK games market is 14 per cent down year-on-year.

However, this summer’s release schedule could provide a timely-boost for the industry, with the arrival of multiple big releases, including Fuel, Harry Potter, Infamous, Ghostbusters, The Sims 3, Wii Sports Resort, The Conduit, Transformers, Lego Battles, Virtua Tennis and more.

MCV

I'm still to post last couple of week's overall market figures, but they're very low.

Around the Network

wow 15 Xbox 360 vs 5 ps3

very good xbox 360 software sales performance,
i think if PS3 going DVD, and easily being hacked, PS3 software sales will even worse than current condition.

i see the way people PS3 user buy games, mostly are for exclusive
but Xbox 360 user buy any kind of game

so i predict in nar future, xbox 360 will see more games from smaller publisher
and pc - 360 exclusive, trend of removing ps3 from upcoming games will continue.

i see prototype will have very similar sales trend like bionic commando
also sacred 2.

ps3 user tends to buy only exclusive.

As I've expected, Punch-Out!! had a really poor opening week. Where is the ad campagin?

dejelek said:
wow 15 Xbox 360 vs 5 ps3

very good xbox 360 software sales performance,
i think if PS3 going DVD, and easily being hacked, PS3 software sales will even worse than current condition.

i see the way people PS3 user buy games, mostly are for exclusive
but Xbox 360 user buy any kind of game

so i predict in nar future, xbox 360 will see more games from smaller publisher
and pc - 360 exclusive, trend of removing ps3 from upcoming games will continue.

i see prototype will have very similar sales trend like bionic commando
also sacred 2.

ps3 user tends to buy only exclusive.

I see the X360 having more than a million userbase advantage over the PS3 in the UK...

I also see X-Men, RE5, SF4, all selling at a better userbase/sales ratio than their 360 counterparts.. some also outsell their 360 counterparts, like the 2:1 in favor of the PS3 for PES 2009...

But hey, PS3 owners buy only exclusives, right?

Wow... UFC did great... Bionic Commando bombed? :| So did Punch-out? :|

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I think Nintendo focused their Punch-Out! marketing efforts to the US.

EA Sports Active I think is going to be a massive hit for EA. I dunno about Europe but here in the West, I'm noticing that EA Active and Punch-Out! are moving a lot of copies.

How would overseas hype help UK sales???

Well i was wrong on Punch Out, it'll do better in the US.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

MCV 532:

Nintendo: ‘Punch-Out is Wii’s first heavyweight of the year’

Platform holder targets No. 1 chart position with veteran boxing release. Full TV marketing push planned

CLASSIC boxing re-make Punch-Out!! will be the biggest Wii launch of 2009 so far, Nintendo has told MCV.

Due for release on May 22nd, Punch Out!! is the latest entry in a series that debuted in the 1980s and has not been seen in Europe since 1995’s Super Punch-Out!! on the SNES. Nintendo feels that the new title could have the same impact as last year’s Mario Kart. “Punch-Out!! is our biggest Wii launch so far in 2009, and we see it as an important title that will appeal to gamers and families in a similar manner to Mario Kart Wii,” said Nintendo’s senior product manager for Wii Rob Lowe.

“It has a great pedigree with the previous titles on the NES and Super Nintendo, and this heritage is faithfully carried across to the new Wii version, along with a host of new functions and features.” Nintendo will be raising awareness of the return of Punch-Out!! with an extensive PR and marketing campaign, focused largely on television advertising to capture the widest possible audience.

There will be a full campaign, with ads appearing around family programming. The TV creative will show a father and son boxing with each other. There will also be full point-of-sale and trade marketing support, a bigscreen sampling tour and a PR campaign that will feature legendary names in boxing, settling old scores through Punch-Out!!

“Punch-Out!! will be a full triple-A launch as you would expect from such a longstanding Nintendo franchise,” concluded Lowe. “And hopefully we will be looking at a number one position in the Wii charts around the launch of the game.”

Nintendo: 01753 483700

That's what happens when Nintendo focuses a lot on their casual games and don't even care to advertise the more traditional games.

They are a victim of their own success, and I'm starting to get pissed after seeing all the core games bomb. I hope they reconsider. They targeted Nº1 position?? ROFL, wtf were they thinking, where is the hype for this game anyways? Where are the ads there in Europe? Massive AAA title means you gotta put some money if you want to achieve that status.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies