By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

@blink

ditto, 360 is THE console this generation

Around the Network

Why do people expect a price cut? Sony can't afford one, they're not like Nintendo... Nintendo currently has one trillion yen in the bank. They could afford to sell the wii at €100 if they really wanted lol
Microsoft can give the xbox360 away for free and still make profit(hyperbole)

Please, don't use the ps3 price argument as to why it sells like total crap. Nintendo and Microsoft can afford a bigger price cut then Sony can. You know, sony posted 1.7 billion dollar loss for their fiscal year?

penguin said:

Pointless to say it is anything to do with the price, if Nintendo Wii started selling less than the 360 will you say "that is because it is more expensive than the Arcade" ? nope you would say "the Wii was just a trend or the software was mostly poor,repetitive etc".

No matter how you look at it (as said by the above poster) "MS are only on the Xbox 2 NOT 3 as in Sony's case", they have taken it to them and as far as they are concerned have done far better than they could possibly of imagined so early on into their console side of the business and the E3 is looking very interesting for MS especially as they don't announce all their big games and new hardware addons until E3

there is a different ps3 and 360 share games, the wii doesn't.

wii have its own share of games mostly by own nintendo selling to a different demographic.

if the wii sales least its loosing traction.

but the 360 started selling better after price cuts ( 2 in europe in the same year. also no even 6 months apart).

and arcade priced to 199$.

RSEagle said:
This is nothing new..

This...

I know that you are relativly new to this site, but you could have figured out that this exact thread was made at least 200 times before you ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

ironman said:
Aaaaaaaand the fanboy war continues. My question is why does it matter? Who cares? You already have the console of your choice.

Now, at risk of sounding like a fanboy myself, has anybody even given a moments thought to the loyalty to Sony in other countries? And the hate for Microsoft because of its brunt and the fact that it is an American company?

Lastly, Sony must be doing something wrong because their install base is substantially less than last gen (lets not forget they are three gens into this) And Micrsoft must be doing something right because their install base is much higher than last gen ( consiquently they are only on their second gen) you do the math. Sony needs to change something, will they? who knows. I really don't care.

Marketshare isn't as important as it was before because of the changing market, but what's really counts are actual numbers that cannot be told by percentages alone.  Let's just say to sell 22 million consoles, in 2.5 year, selling as a retail price from $600 to $400, continunal third party multi-platform support, continunal third party exclusive support, and continual 1st and 2nd party support all proves that the PS3 is a viable and successful console even in the midst of being in third.  Now, was there anything unture or fanboyish about what just said?

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

So much bullshit in this thread I need to wear wading boots. Microsoft is not beating Sony on price alone. For price to have a significant impact your product must first have appeal. Microsoft made this happen by having a top notch games library, and offering more compelling services. Besides I really do not take many of these price hawks seriously, because they were the same people that said the price cuts would have little or no impact. The logic for them only applies when it serves their purposes.

To answer the question Sony has been in free fall with the PS3 since it debuted. That alone would seem to indicate something bad. The console has never been profitable. They are probably just at breaking even on the software, and if sales continue to persist they probably cannot reach their production goals, or at least do it and sell them to retailers. With all this bleeding the PS3 has never left the maligned third place, and doesn't look as if it will ever even have a serious chance.

Add on to that the other two have serious financial resources that all but ensure that they can match or exceed any move that Sony makes, and none of the moves they can make will offer any hope of financial success. The PS3 falling absolutely its the consoles natural state. Money falling into a black pit. Falling farther behind in console sales. Falling from a position of dominance. This is not a new development that is what is laughable. It is not getting bad it has always been bad.

For those talking about price cuts. I am moving more towards the fence on this. While it is true another price cut will probably bleed them for an additional two billion dollars in losses. Just toss that up on the six billion already lost. I really think Sony can be this insane, or more to the point unwilling to accept that the only way to begin to salvage the situation is to accept their market position. Regardless if they do offer a price cut I will think of it more as a loss then a victory. For the simple reason that they will have done what Microsoft and Nintendo want them to do. Which is find a way to lose even more money in a recession.

blink182 said:
the price argument just doesn't cut it, the fact of the matter is that the 360 is "THE" hd console to own this generation due to it's impressive established library of games and features whereas the ps3 is the optional console, price really doesn't factor in to the decision between the two for a bread and butter gamer who wants the best console with the best selection and variety of games

As far as "HD" PS3 games offer both better visuals and better sound, PS3 it self offer hd support in BR while 360 does not.  Ps3 games are as good if not better then the 360s.  The decision is simple as hell, PS3 is the quality hardware with quality games with BR and free online. 

360 is just the cheepo option for people, and even at HALF thre freaking price the world is barley choosing it over the PS3.  Which says plenty to any one with some brains.

Another horrible thread, every single post if not most are utter fanboy crap. Honestly I dont know why I bothered to come back to this site.

mM
twingo said:

It costs half as much child, it better be selling more. Actually it should be selling a hell of a lot more not wii levels but somewhere between PS3/wii.

Clearly its not.

The cheapest version of the console costs half as much. Also, the PS3 has all that value? Why would consumers turn down all that value, over the obviously inferior 360?

This is a boatload full of rubbish, sir. Both consoles are selling terribly. Why flame a console you despise as an excuse for your favorite console SELLING LESS units?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I think the point of this thread is that the 360 is matching the PS3 on its home court.

And as Dodece mentioned, people are buying 360's cause that's what they want! If they wanted a PS3, then they would just save a couple more bucks and purchased a PS3.

Saying its unfair to compare both console sales due to MS's low entry cost, would be like 360 fanboys saying its unfair cause the PS3 is also a Blu Ray player...

Each company made its decision and now consumers get to choose.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)