By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - The official VGChartz 2.0 Thread

Time for some more feedback, mostly positive.

Now that I'm on a different machine, I'm seeing the resolution issue that others have. I really think the site should be optimized to be 1024 pixels wide.

I like that sub-items appear grouped around their parent items in the menu bar at the top of each page, but I think a pull-down menu would be easier still to navigate. Something to think about doing in the future.

I like that threads are colour coded by category on the main page. Clever change.

The layout and fonts of the new sales charts look great. And yearly totals for Others and Worldwide now? That's a great birthday present, even if it is a week late. ;)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

My main issue with the site, now that I have had a chance to live and breath it for a while is:

Lack of white space.

When you layout books or magazines, the clear white space around areas (paragraphs, pictures) is as important as the content itself.

What this sites lack is white space around elements of the site.

Why is this important - by not defining your white space, your site can become busy and crowded leading to a lack of comprehension and understanding.

Quote: "In page layout, illustration and sculpture, white space is often referred to as negative space. It is that portion of a page left unmarked: the space between graphics, margins, gutters, space between columns, space between lines of type or figures and objects drawn or depicted. The term arises from graphic design practice, where printing processes generally use white paper.

White space should not be considered merely 'blank' space - it is an important element of design which enables the objects in it to exist at all, the balance between positive (or none-white) and the use of negative spaces is key to aesthetic composition."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_space_(visual_arts)

Best Cricket Club in the World - Visit for Coaching Tips

http://www.engadinedragonscc.org.au

The links from the top tab are not working for me!!! BTW, I'm using firefox 2.0.

Also, I think it was better when we were able to see the top sales for all three regions in single view. now they are in different frames and can't be compared side by side.

zexen_lowe said:
Munkeh111 said:
Just found a slight glitch. When uploading banners, having selected the file, and pressed okay, nothing appears in the box, but pressing preview still works

Well, banners have to be accepted by DB admins, so I suppose it's the way it should work

Sorry, you misunderstand. The box in which the address of the picture should appear in is empty

amazurkiewicz said:
My main issue with the site, now that I have had a chance to live and breath it for a while is:

Lack of white space.

When you layout books or magazines, the clear white space around areas (paragraphs, pictures) is as important as the content itself.

What this sites lack is white space around elements of the site.

Why is this important - by not defining your white space, your site can become busy and crowded leading to a lack of comprehension and understanding.

Quote: "In page layout, illustration and sculpture, white space is often referred to as negative space. It is that portion of a page left unmarked: the space between graphics, margins, gutters, space between columns, space between lines of type or figures and objects drawn or depicted. The term arises from graphic design practice, where printing processes generally use white paper.

White space should not be considered merely 'blank' space - it is an important element of design which enables the objects in it to exist at all, the balance between positive (or none-white) and the use of negative spaces is key to aesthetic composition."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_space_(visual_arts)

Exactly what I thought.

The design is too busy.

I don't know where to look.

Too many texts in small boxes.
Plus the dark theme, this stresses my eyes over time.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Still slugish on my laptop... not as bad as yesterday but still needs to run faster. Also, what is with the 360 controller in the logo? That kinda sends the wrong message don't you think? Why not just keep it basic without a controller in the logo? The users online thing's font in the top right is still heavily aliased and hard to read.

its a N64 controller,,I thought the same thing at first too

N64 controllers have 3 handles, not 2.  And one analog stick in the middle.

SUGGESTION
I want different colors for "new" and "used" links -- orange is weird but I'll get used to it, but I REALLY HATE losing the ability to see which links I've already clicked on.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

kanariya said:

I just don' understand where people are coming from with this compaint. Darker screens are usually recommended for reducing eye strain.

Are you perhaps too close to the pc monitor? That's not good for you.

Of course it should get a lot better once you get used to it.

twilit said:
kanariya said:

I just don' understand where people are coming from with this compaint. Darker screens are usually recommended for reducing eye strain.

If you know dark text on white background is easier to read than white text on dark background.

I have to constantly focus more on the small texts to read the copy.

The contrast is not enough. For the text on the forum, light grey white on grey. It's not exactly easy to read.

Also the main navigation with flash is not a really good idea.

Why flash? There isn't any animation. It creates a lot of accessible issues now that people can't navigate around the site on their mobile phones.

I constantly use the g1 to surf the web when I'm outside and I know many people do with their iphones.

Using AJAX to replace the flash for the navigation shouldn't be hard.

kanariya said:
twilit said:
kanariya said:

If you know dark text on white background is easier to read than white text on dark background.

I have to constantly focus more on the small texts to read the copy.

The contrast is not enough. For the text on the forum, light grey on darker grey. It's ok for a few lines but not for a forum.

Also the main navigation with flash is not a really good idea. It creates a lot of accessible issues now that people can't navigate around the site on their mobile phones.

I constantly use the g1 to surf the web when I'm outside and I know many people do with their iphones.

Using AJAX to replace the flash for the navigation shouldn't be hard.

The contrast is fine n my screen I can easily distinguish the text from the background. You coud always try manually increasing the contrast and vibrence of your pc monitor to see if that helps.

Though, I must agree with the overuse of flash. I also.share a common complaint about not being able to open a new tab from the bar at the top. Fortunatly ioi said there may very well be a mobile version later on.

Generally i'm going to keep my final thoughts until about a few weeks after the 2.0 launch, though.