Zoom out.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I hate it

@kantor

nope, I 'm not zooming out for just 1 site, it makes other sites look weird
_______

WERE ARE THE HOT TOPICS!

I prefered the old colour scheme frankly.
And it does slow down on Linux with all the flash.

I don't really understand the decision to keep it fixed width to such an extreme.

The Xbox Man said:
I hate it

@kantor

nope, I 'm not zooming out for just 1 site, it makes other sites look weird
_______

WERE ARE THE HOT TOPICS!

Use Firefox, you can zoom in at different levels on each tab.

And the hot topics are on the front page, where they've always been.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Again, this was not designed for just wide screen monitors. I actually fits on a 4:3 1280x1024 monitor which have been available for over 10 years. The website is ~1100 wide.

If the screen doesn't fit you have a few options

1) change your resolution to at least 1280x[y]

2) if you can't change to 1280x[y] or greater, then use the zoom features built into your browser. These can be easily access by hitting ctrl and scrolling the middle mouse wheel. ctrl+0 resets the zoom.

3) buy a new monitor or pick one up for free. I can get tons of free CRT's from people and businesses as pretty much everyone are throwing theirs away.

Only people with tiny portable laptops are really affected by this, and it should be a lot lower than the number of people who are claiming it doesn't fit on their screen.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

the ads make the site buggy for me, i didnt have that problem with the old one.

The new site is quite processor intensive on my 1 yr old dell linux laptop. The front page is probably the most processor intensive website I visit. I'm guessing it's the flash?

I have system monitor widgets that tell me how busy the processor, hard drive & net connection are. Just having the homepage open makes the processor work at 38%. Going in further I can see what the dual core processor is doing. One half is usually up between 70-80%. Am not overly familiar with chip design as you can tell.

As far the design goes I do prefer the older one as this one looks like gamespot. I guess it'll grow on me. Oh well. You can't please everyone all of the time.

At this point, I'd say extreme dislike of this. I feel like it fell into the trap that most sites do when they 'redesign' or anything, and add tons of useless flash to the website that does nothing but hinder the previous experience. I mean, did the bar at the top with all of the charts really need to be flash? Now I can't click if I want to see the weekly charts in a new tab because it is flash, so I have to open three tabs, and then click on it in each one. That's an added layer of unnecessary clicking. Also, not being able to see your recent forum posts on the front page sucks too. I used to enjoy clicking on the site, and seeing red where people replied, and now I can only see it in thread.

All of that for what? A nice flash news section? Ugh. The only flash that was added that was useful was for the totals of the systems, and how you can hover over a specific region to see the sales there, or see the WW sales. That was useful, but this redesign has put everything that used to be at our fingertips out of reach.

Also, the site is unbrowsable on an iPhone or iPod Touch now. Before it worked fine, but adding this much flash to the site renders it unrenderable. So now more than ever VGC needs an mobile site. Just kill the flash for m.vghcartz.com and I'd be a somewhat happy camper.

Also, black is such a done-to-death color. When VGC was white, it had some originality. Now it just feels like Gamespot.

I think that was it. I hope my criticism was constructive. :)

I think it's pretty cool, much more professional than the old one. Also how do so many of you have to scroll across, It still doesn't take up the whole of my screen. I don't think my monitor is that big (19")

1/10. Just about every mistake one can make has been implemented (light gray letterso on not so light gray background, dark red on dark gray background.. you name it, it's here). The whole thing looks like made to attract the young and very young. Obviously I'm badly outdated since I like easy to read, uncluttered websites..