By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

^ when the hell did i ever say it was a good decision? all i said was they planned to stick withh 600 dollars... they already reduced the price of the ps3 by like 500 dollars (900 to 400) and if they didnt have to cut the price theyd be banking on the ps3.

Around the Network

the controls were goofy, i'm waiting for the price of the PS3 to drop, Blah. Blah, Blah. The bottom line is it doesn't matter how much the freaking game sold to the people who have the game, and if your waiting for the game to reach a million sales before you buy the game than your a freaking tool. Make sure you talk your ankles tight when you jump from band wagon to bandwagon. Killzone 2 is the best shooter out there(and i've played them all) and if you don't have this game then your missing out.

This hand of mine is burning red. It's loud cry is telling me to grasp victory.....SEKIHA TENKYOKEN!!!

DirtyP2002 said:

Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

Further new NPD Group data has revealed lifetime sales to date for Sony's Killzone 2 title in the US, with the game so far selling only 677,000 units.

First released on February 27, the PlayStation 3 exclusive debuted in the February sales chart at number five, with 323,000 units sold. In the March results the game fell only two places to number seven, with 296,000 units sold.

By April though the game had fallen outside of the top 20, but data provided to website Gamasutra reveals that it sold 58,000 units during the month. As result the game's lifetime total to date in the US currently stands at 677,000 units.

On its release Sony proclaimed Killzone 2 to be its fastest-selling title ever in the US, in terms of reaching 500,000 unit sales. Responding to the March NPD chart, Sony also revealed that worldwide sales had passed 1 million units, suggesting sales in PAL territories at the time of around 400,000 units (The game was not released in Japan until April 23).

Although the sales figures are strong by most standards the game is reported to have cost over EUR 40 million to develop. Perhaps most importantly for Sony, the title has failed to drive hardware sales on the PlayStation 3, which have actually dropped year-on-year in the US since the game's release.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/killzone-2-fails-to-crack-1-million-units-in-us

------

VGC has K2 at 1.59 million, today.

Nice sales for a game on the most expensive console being in last place.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

I knew all the hype for that game was too good to be true.

TO GOD BE THE GLORY

NJ5 said:

Max King of the Wild said:
now that the per copy sold aguement is squashed does someone want to try to reasonably figure out a game with a 3.5 year development times budget to 60million?

and none of that 'need to pay office rent and dev kits' bullshit to boost your figures either cause guess what... they are still renting those offices and still have those devkits... and im fairly certain KZ2 isnt still in development

Very easily, if a team is made of 120 people, and outsourcing parts of the development to other teams (as KZ2 did with AI if I remember correctly). The industry standard for cost per person (all things included, not just salary) is $100,000 per year.

120 * $100,000 * 3.5 years = $42 million for development alone. Maybe the team was smaller than 120 people at some points, but then some parts were outsourced, so...

Advertising budget was $3 million for UK alone, so $10-20 million worldwide is not a stretch. Which makes $50 million a likely budget, and $60 million possible.

Do you have other estimates?

I can't believe that Max King of the Wild kept arguing after this post on the first page.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network

this game should have hit a million by now its a awesome game

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

therepublic - you know how far off the employee count is? first of all GG hired people throughout KZ2 development. GG didn't get a decent sized team till AFTER Sony aquired them which was in Dec 05. Second the full studio wasnt involved till at least Killxone Liberation came out. Third 120 employees dont need to polish a game.., something that was in the process for the last half year.

Max King of the Wild said:
Infamy - Im pretty sure GG is still paying rent... but KZ2 is done... eh guess KZ2's budget is ongoing... am i right?

3.5 years is max kz2 could be in development. before that GG had two full fleged ps2 games in development and a psp game during the first 6 months of my kz2's 3.5 figure. not only that but GG increased their employee count to 120 through KZ2 development.... 2 ps2 games 1 psp game and 1 ps3 game is a huge workload there... ontop of that the cell wasnt revealed till late 04 and dev kits werent made available till mid 05. ps3 dev kits were supply constrained so lots of devs were waiting for theirs. Sony probably gave the first party and insomniac the dev kits first. GG of which wasn't first party till Dec 05.

Your confusing cost to run a buisness with cost to make a game. ive ran my own business and if anything rent lowers the budget. Sony has that down as a fixed cost and is well aware about it.

I would certainly hope that GG is working on a new product  by now so their business expenses would fall under their new product. Given they aren't getting brilliant sales of their last product they'd be pretty stupid if they were doing nothing right now.

What PS2 & PSP games are you talking about? They released Killzone in 2004, Killzone: Liberation in 2005 and Killzone 2 in 2009. Killzone: Liberation was coming to the end of it's development in 2005, so please clarify.

As for this dev kit bullshit, firstly you can start developing a game without a dev kit, as I mentioned in my last post you pre-plan, art design, level design, even start building models on PC for christ sake. Pulling bullshit out of the air that you think other 1st parties would get dev kits first is just ridiculous and that is a reason for them not starting the game by x date is just absurd.

Also what the hell are you talking about with rent "lowers the budget" a cost is a cost that cannot be disputed. Also selling crack on the street corner does not constitute "ran my own business", neither does sucking cock for $5.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

Marketing budget ain't included when they state the dev budget though. Because that's not the dev studio's business, it's up to the publisher to decide how much they spend on marketing a game.

So typically, when u read a source stating the cost/budget of a game, they're refering to the studio dev cost excluding marketing.

And I estimate Kz2 to have cost rufly $50 million (marketing not included).

Infamy79 - fixed cost do not go towards game budgets.

Shell Shock, Killxone, Killxone Liberation are the 3 games. if you ad killzone 2 into the mix thats a huge work load for the dev studio. Especially since their biggest expantion was when sony bought them Dec. '05.