By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

Kantor said:
linlhutz said:
MrBubbles said:
they shouldnt have released the demo. the poor controls and aiming turned people off, reducing the sales.

Exactly! I have been saying this for a while.

A FPS with terrible controls = FAILURE

That is why I hate KZ2. That is why I hate Resistance: Fall of Man.

That is why I absolutely love Resistance 2 - They finally got the controls figured out.

If they ever fix KZ2 controls, I will give it another look.  

As it is, pass.

Please tell 70 reviewers and 1.4 million people that the controls of Killzone 2 suck. The poor saps seem to think it's an awesome game, with perfectly good controls.

Don't you pity them?

Why would I have to tell them anything? I played the demo and  think the controls stink.

Am I supposed to care more about what reviewers think over my own opinion?

Currently Playing:
Resistance 2 Co-op (anyone call for a Medic?)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PC)
F.E.A.R. (PC)

Currently Ignoring:
My 360 and Wii.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
why is everything have to be good in the US?
there are other places in the world, if these guys havent noticed.

hope you know The US is where most consoles are sold. it used to be japan now its the US.

Jordahn said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Killzone 2 fails to crack 1 million units in US

Further new NPD Group data has revealed lifetime sales to date for Sony's Killzone 2 title in the US, with the game so far selling only 677,000 units.

First released on February 27, the PlayStation 3 exclusive debuted in the February sales chart at number five, with 323,000 units sold. In the March results the game fell only two places to number seven, with 296,000 units sold.

By April though the game had fallen outside of the top 20, but data provided to website Gamasutra reveals that it sold 58,000 units during the month. As result the game's lifetime total to date in the US currently stands at 677,000 units.

On its release Sony proclaimed Killzone 2 to be its fastest-selling title ever in the US, in terms of reaching 500,000 unit sales. Responding to the March NPD chart, Sony also revealed that worldwide sales had passed 1 million units, suggesting sales in PAL territories at the time of around 400,000 units (The game was not released in Japan until April 23).

Although the sales figures are strong by most standards the game is reported to have cost over EUR 40 million to develop. Perhaps most importantly for Sony, the title has failed to drive hardware sales on the PlayStation 3, which have actually dropped year-on-year in the US since the game's release.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/killzone-2-fails-to-crack-1-million-units-in-us

------

VGC has K2 at 1.59 million, today.

Nice sales for a game on the most expensive console being in last place.

So, if the game was on the Wii or 360...these sales wouldn't be nice?

I agree. Sales are mediocre for this title. No amount of spin changes that. When NPD is releasing articles flaming your sales, you know you didn't exactly blow up the charts.

That said, the game was fun multiplayer, the single player was a tad mediocre imo. I think the single player campaign is what held it back in sales.  That, and poor, poor marketing/release window.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I don't know why Killzone 2 didn't manage to sell 700,000 in the U.S. from February to April. I really thought that it would easily have hit one million by April.

viper - tell your friend to post a breakdown. also, i wasnt aware that every investor had inside knowledge of Sony internal studios... i wonder why MS doesnt just invest and see everything sony is up to and counter it... im also very surprised these investors are alway so tight lipped and there arent more leaks... im also surprised that kz2 budget comes into question after ridiculous rumor and more investors dont reveal more game budgets... conclusion using common sense - your wrong

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
viper - tell your friend to post a breakdown. also, i wasnt aware that every investor had inside knowledge of Sony internal studios... i wonder why MS doesnt just invest and see everything sony is up to and counter it... im also very surprised these investors are alway so tight lipped and there arent more leaks... im also surprised that kz2 budget comes into question after ridiculous rumor and more investors dont reveal more game budgets... conclusion using common sense - your wrong

Why does he need to provide a breakdown when it's not his own calculations?  That's like demanding a web site posting NPD numbers provide a state by state breakdown.   It's ridiculous to ask and you'll never receive it anyway.

You also don't seem to understand what investors do or how they derive their figures.

Conclusion using common sense - you have no more accurate information than that which you're calling wrong and have no credibility against the source to begin with and are demanding ridiculous actions in a poor attempt to undermine the source.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

That's right, posting budgets of games has absolutely no credibility unless you work for the company in question and have inside knowledge.  Otherwise you're just pulling numbers out of your ass.  You must always prove where your numbers are coming from and provide the proper breakdown if you wish to be taken seriously. 

Unless of course it supports one of your arguments.....

sirvice said:
Dont forget the fact they developed a completely new engine which will be used in further games. Does anybody have a number how much the engine cost and how much the rest of the game?

So any further game based on this engine can be partly seen as revenue to those 40 mil. sure further cost will arise but way less than killzone2.

So from my perspective, if killzone2 is able to break even on this engine and the costs of killzone2 itself -> well done!

Uncharted was ground up new engine the game cost around 20million including advertising i believe

^ LOL, that came from ND themselves... ya know the ones who made the game . but thanks for agreeing none of the asses in journalism know kz2s budget) And heres the link http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-sequel-costing-usd-20-million

Viper - OK then provide a link where there is a quote from the investor

^ LOL, that came from ND themselves... ya know the ones who made the game . but thanks for agreeing none of the asses in journalism know kz2s budget) And heres the link http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/uncharted-sequel-costing-usd-20-million

Viper - OK then provide a link where there is a quote from the investor

I don't see advertising costs mentioned at all in that article.

Max, this might surprise you but not everything on the planet is online or at least publicly viewable.

The rEVOLution is not being televised