By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - JRPG's are to easy - Heres 5 reasons why

Around the Network

final fantasy is for noobs

@Xxain :
Actually, I'm in exactly the same situation as you are.
I know the mechanics so well that I breeze through most JRPG.
That's also why I find WRPG so boring (and why I still haven't finished Baldur'S Gate 2 and the NWN expansions).
That's also the reason why I prefer SRPG I think. Most of the time, they are challenging.
I don't specially agree with your points though.
Apart from that, I just realised that most of the JRPG I loved so much were the ones that were challenging enough to make me die once. Must be why I loved Skies of Arcadia Legend (I died exactly once, and was so surprised it happened) or Tales of Symphonia (wasn't used to action in JRPG, and didn't really like that before).
But yeah I'm so good now, that I'm always surprised when people talk about SRPG, like the Wii Fire Emblem, that they say is extremely hard with the first team, while I breezed through it without problem.

You should do what I'm doing. Well, perhaps it won't suit you, as I'm a completionist : I love to do and have everything in these JRPG I love. So what I do, is that for every JRPG I play, I've got extra challenges with conditions I must meet. It depends on the game, but that can be things like have every single one of your characters at the same level. Or never flee a battle, even once. Things like that. The problem is that doing that develops your strategy and tactics skills, which makes the games even easier :) .

I always did that, so the games are always challenging. Of course, there are games that aren't challenging even with these, and these are the ones I have problem finishing, as they are a chore. Xenogears is one of those : this game was too easy and an extremely bad game, even if the story was amazing, one of the best ever.

Actually, I thought everyone was doing like me, and realized with Fire Emblem GC, that most people were overpowering a few characters and going through the game like that, meaning brute force, and so had lots of problem and found these games very hard. Of course, this style of playing is a recipe for disaster in most SRPG.
And it also removes a lot of enjoyment in JRPG.
I think that's why some JRPG are so loved, because they force you to play without brute force to succeed, or you fail. Must be why I always loved SRPG. You should try them.
They don't do any of your point except some have point 5, like Fire Emblem. This prevents you from grinding, or rather, forces you to grind in another way, which isn't really grinding as it requires more strategy than usual.

Convenient save points? Play Dead Rising and get back to me. You'll wish Dead Rising was more of an JRPG lol

i hate rpgs with a save point only in the beginning of a dungeon. there is nothing worst than making your way through a cave, getting a rare drop item from a creature, and then getting a game over.
i have found out that if a game gives you alot of money, the super weapon for the main character is hard to obtain or will cost more money than you can ever hope to get.
true rpg's have a method why they do things. they want it to be hard but not hard enough where you throw the controller across the room and not play the game again, like the olden days. you young cats wouldn't know anything about that . LOL

This hand of mine is burning red. It's loud cry is telling me to grasp victory.....SEKIHA TENKYOKEN!!!

Around the Network
ookaze said:

But yeah I'm so good now, that I'm always surprised when people talk about SRPG, like the Wii Fire Emblem, that they say is extremely hard with the first team, while I breezed through it without problem.

All this post shows is that you don't understand the concept of difficulty in an SRPG.

If you play the first 2 chapters of Fire Emblem 7, Fire Emblem 8, and Fire Emblem 10 then you will notice something.  The number of tactical options that will end in game-over or character-death is much higher in Fire Emblem 10.   This isn't opinion or personal experience, this is fact.  It is easier to get to a Game Over screen in Radiant Dawn's early chapters than either Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones. 

For someone with an understanding of how Fire Emblem games work, the increase in difficulty isn't a problem.  The experienced player will make the correct moves and win the mission. 

For someone without an understanding of how Fire Emblem games work or who simply isn't the end-all-be-all of Fire Emblem, there are many many more ways for them to mess up and have it end badly.  The game is objectively harder and the difficulty increase is huge for them.

To say you're "always surprised" by this shows ignorance on your part or extreme arrogance.  Judging by the rest of your post, I don't think it's the former.

I have yet to understand why every time difficulty is mentioned with games that for people some it turns into a ego-contest where some posters feel the need to assert their "1337 5k1l7s." (That isn't directed solely at ookaze either, I just happened to be quoting him.)

/mini-rant

Since I ignored FE6 in that post, I'll make it up with a video:

JRPGs are first and foremost made for - you guessed it- the Japanese. Japanese are well known pussy gamers these days.

But the fact is JRPGs used to be quite challenging.

Did you ever play Dragon Warrior (Dragon Quest) Dragon Quest 4 must be one of the all time hardest jrpgs. Have you finished Phantasy Star 2 for the Genesis? Final Fantasy 1 for NES anyone? The first Final Fantasy is not that hard, but compared to the ones from the 16bit era onwards is like rock against eggs. Not to say 16 bit-era JRPGs are all easy as cake, Breath of Fire 1 anyone? That game is HARD.

Games like Ogrebattle, Final Fantasy Tactics and Front Mission are not walks in the park either. Xenogears was quite challenging. You can find many examples, but it's true it's not been the trend to make HARD jRPGs like we old-schoolers used to play back in the day. And last gen and this current gen? pffft, child's play.

Xxain said:

I am a JRPG junkie, its hands down my favorite Genre and nothing comes to touching it. over the years of playing them ive become a pro my skill has grown so much that i can breeze through them with ever dying...once. its hard finding a challenging JRPG to play...

Do you have a DS? If you do, I've got some games that can solve your problems right away!!!

Shoot, you might never pass some of the JRPGs that system has.

noname2200 said:
Xxain said:

I am a JRPG junkie, its hands down my favorite Genre and nothing comes to touching it. over the years of playing them ive become a pro my skill has grown so much that i can breeze through them with ever dying...once. its hard finding a challenging JRPG to play...

Do you have a DS? If you do, I've got some games that can solve your problems right away!!!

Shoot, you might never pass some of the JRPGs that system has.

You got that right 

From personal experience, FF IV DS will chew you up & spit you out.

The only problem that it has is money - lots of it.

Magnific0 said:

Games like Ogrebattle, Final Fantasy Tactics and Front Mission are not walks in the park either. Xenogears was quite challenging. You can find many examples, but it's true it's not been the trend to make HARD jRPGs like we old-schoolers used to play back in the day. And last gen and this current gen? pffft, child's play.

Yeah, Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne was such a cakewalk...

There have always been hard games and easy games, last gen (can't really speak much of this one because I haven't played any of them save for Last Remnant) was no different