By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hello! I'd like a PS3 for $199.

Akvod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Akvod said:
How much did you pay for the Wii OP? $200+ am I correct? (I think my mom bought one for 250ish)

Yeah, I bought it from the second shipment, and there were more than 3 games announced that I wanted. It's not just "Well this console costs as much as your others did, so you shouldn't whine!". It's because the PS3 doesn't have as many available games that I want ... You know, value for the money I'm spending and all that. Why do half of the people posting in this thread not think that makes sense? :x

A bluray player itself costs around $199. So it should at least be worth more than $199. Even if you don't care about Blu-ray, objectively the PS3 should be worth more than a stand alone Bluray player with its added features (playing games)

THere is no such thing as an "objective" standard of value in terms of consumer value interests. If he doesn't care about Blu-Ray, then the blu-ray-playing capacity of the PS3 is worth $0.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
How about $299? This Fall?

Makin, I'd buy ANOTHER PS3 for 299 this fall, lol. I wish that would happen. :(

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

To be completely honest with you, this gen, as far as efficiency goes, you should probably only have a PS3 OR an Xbox 360.

The reason is, those consoles share close to 80 percent of the same library.

There are a handful of exclusives, but unless they ALL appeal to you, it is not worth paying an extra 199 dollars just for the right to play them.

Now, if you have NO HD console, then to you, each HD console should be worth a lot more, since you would then have the option to buy the vast excellent library of multiplats this gen.

That said, I think that with the exclusives available, and assuming you are willing to pay 199 dollars for a PS3, you could easily see your way to spending 299, IF, and only IF the PS3 gets reinvented with a slim, and a few more exclusives come your way that you would be willing to rent and/or buy.

Otherwise, just wait. It sucks, I know, but waiting will probably be the best bet when it comes to any purchase. The console will only get cheaper, more well made, and the library will get better. For your money, waiting might be the best bet.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Akvod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Akvod said:
How much did you pay for the Wii OP? $200+ am I correct? (I think my mom bought one for 250ish)

Yeah, I bought it from the second shipment, and there were more than 3 games announced that I wanted. It's not just "Well this console costs as much as your others did, so you shouldn't whine!". It's because the PS3 doesn't have as many available games that I want ... You know, value for the money I'm spending and all that. Why do half of the people posting in this thread not think that makes sense? :x

A bluray player itself costs around $199. So it should at least be worth more than $199. Even if you don't care about Blu-ray, objectively the PS3 should be worth more than a stand alone Bluray player with its added features (playing games)

But it's not. I don't want bluray. Why should it be worth $200 to me when I don't want it? I'm not buying a blu-ray player, because I don't want a blu-ray player. I'm looking to buy a games console. The blu-ray is a non-factor in my purchase.

But that's like me saying that a diamond should be worth a penny (or free) because I can care less about it. If you're saying that you believe that a PS3 is worth $199 I understand, but all I'm saying is that based on the current prices of things, it doesn't make sense that the PS3 should be valued at only $199 when you look at its features. Even if you don't care about the other features, currently the PS3 is being sold with those features, and Sony spent money adding those features in the factory.

Akvod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

But it's not. I don't want bluray. Why should it be worth $200 to me when I don't want it? I'm not buying a blu-ray player, because I don't want a blu-ray player. I'm looking to buy a games console. The blu-ray is a non-factor in my purchase.

But that's like me saying that a diamond should be worth a penny (or free) because I can care less about it. If you're saying that you believe that a PS3 is worth $199 I understand, but all I'm saying is that based on the current prices of things, it doesn't make sense that the PS3 should be valued at only $199 when you look at its features. Even if you don't care about the other features, currently the PS3 is being sold with those features, and Sony spent money adding those features in the factory.

THis still means absolutely nothing when consumers determine value. If they don't care about a feature, it isn't worth the money it cost to produce.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Akvod said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

THis still means absolutely nothing when consumers determine value. If they don't care about a feature, it isn't worth the money it cost to produce.

As I said before, I understand if it's the demand that Majin's placing on the PS3. However as I said before, it's ridiculous to realisticly think that the real world value of a diamond, PS3, etc is at the rockbottom prices we both provided. People look at everyone's demand and value of a object, not only one person's. So people do believe that shiny rocks are worth a shit load of cash, and stand alone Bluray players $199, and I say that I don't think that PS3's are currently being valued at $199 by consumers (although it obviously needs to be cheaper due to its sales).

So to clear my posts up, I'm not trying to tell Majin what he should value the PS3, I'm just stating that I believe in the general consumer's eyes I don't think that it's being valued at $199. Sorry for any confusion caused by me.

Akvod said:
Khuutra said:

As I said before, I understand if it's the demand that Majin's placing on the PS3. However as I said before, it's ridiculous to realisticly think that the real world value of a diamond, PS3, etc is at the rockbottom prices we both provided. People look at everyone's demand and value of a object, not only one person's. So people do believe that shiny rocks are worth a shit load of cash, and stand alone Bluray players $199, and I say that I don't think that PS3's are currently being valued at $199 by consumers (although it obviously needs to be cheaper due to its sales).

So to clear my posts up, I'm not trying to tell Majin what he should value the PS3, I'm just stating that I believe in the general consumer's eyes I don't think that it's being valued at $199. Sorry for any confusion caused by me.

But see, that's the thing. There is no "general consumer" in this situation - consumer spending is based on individual values, regardless of the factors that go into that. Sony produces them at this price because people will buy them, but no, what some consumers buy does not dictate the absolute value of a product. There is no absolute value.

Long time i think. SONY will want to make up for all the lost money so far this gen.

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Khuutra said:
Akvod said:
Khuutra said:

But see, that's the thing. There is no "general consumer" in this situation - consumer spending is based on individual values, regardless of the factors that go into that. Sony produces them at this price because people will buy them, but no, what some consumers buy does not dictate the absolute value of a product. There is no absolute value.

I didn't mean some "absolute value" but rather equilibrium between supply and demand.

Buy a use one.