By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Heavenly Sword - 77.445 first week- flop or not flop sales?

why are some people saying Warhawk is a flop? you guys realise that the game is also downloadable and the downloads are not being counted?

Around the Network
Kamahl said:
why are some people saying Warhawk is a flop? you guys realise that the game is also downloadable and the downloads are not being counted?

And we go over this point again...

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Viper1 said:
Any game that takes 4 years and 500 people to get 6 hours worth of game and only 77k sales the first week is a flop.

Don't forget $20 million in development plus severall million more for advertising. I've seen the commercials on TV almost as much as the Halo 3. That kind of advertising is major $$$. 

Viper1 said:
Any game that takes 4 years and 500 people to get 6 hours worth of game and only 77k sales the first week is a flop.

Well, I don't know where you're getting 500 people (the dev team is closer to 50), the game takes around seven hours to play without a bit of fluff or wasted time and it actually sold 96k the first week. And it's at ~184k right now.

I think the fact that you can rent a videogame, and beat it within 8 hours, is very detrimental to sales.

Around the Network
Deviation59 said:
Viper1 said:

Well, I don't know where you're getting 500 people (the dev team is closer to 50), the game takes around seven hours to play without a bit of fluff or wasted time and it actually sold 96k the first week. And it's at ~184k right now.

EGM #221

Interview with co-founder and Chief of Development, Nina Kristensen: 

"...over 500 people are listed in Heavenly Swords credits." 

Ioi changed the launch numbers from 77k to 97k.

I don't think the 20k difference really differs the point.  500 people, 4 years, $20+ million dollars = 96k first week.  Ouch.

Even Waterworld eventually made $100 million profit.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Deviation59 said:
Viper1 said:

I suspect they'd have to sell at least 500k units to make a profit on HS. 

Just some food for thought. The Legendary Edition of Halo 3 sold more copies (240k) in its first week than Heavenly Sword did in its first 3 weeks (184k), and most likely in its first 5 weeks.

HS is expected to sell between 20-24k this week and around 14-16k next week.

TheBigFatJ said:
Deviation59 said:
Viper1 said:

That's way too low. With a $20 million dollar development and multi-million dollar marketing campaign, this is a very expensive game.

FishyJoe said:
TheBigFatJ said:
Deviation59 said:
Viper1 said:

That's way too low. With a $20 million dollar development and multi-million dollar marketing campaign, this is a very expensive game.

Yes, it was a very conservative estimate because I don't even have any hard numbers on the devel and marketing costs.  It's questionable as to whether it would even be able to reach those low numbers.

They didn't make HS to be less than a million seller.  I think some people who worked on it are very disappointed that so few bought the game.