By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Nintendo made more money during the GameCube years than Sony did during the PS2 years.

Then Nintendo made the Wii and DS, while Sony lost every single PS2 dollar they made.

Nintendo will never be doomed.

You don't understand. Actual money matters even less than customers. That's why the high cost of HD development is less than Wii development (the imaginary "risk" dollars are what makes them cost more). It's also the fact that Sony is losing money, and Microsoft only made money on their system for the past year, is not a problem, but Nintendo having their best year yet means doom.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

More Malstromian "I only see Nintendo and no one else" bullshit.

Hell yeah MS and Sony rely on third parties to sell their consoles... Halo and Gran Turismo? never heard of them.

Nintendo made more money during the GameCube years than Sony did during the PS2 years.

Then Nintendo made the Wii and DS, while Sony lost every single PS2 dollar they made.

True... but not due to the GameCube, the GB, GBA and DS were more important factors in those years.

And if you are talking about PS2 "years" rather than PS2 on it's own, well considering PS2 years also encompasses the massive PS3 losses then yes.

Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

I can deny that easily. Sony>MS>>>>>>>>nintendo.  Let's use your style:

Besides ... hmm... uhh... disaster:doc what else do they offer?

Hmmm... maybe because Nintendo had 3 consoles on market and sony only 1. And PS2 is much more profitable than GameCube. It sold 2x times the software than gamecube and Gameboy did togehter

Around the Network
Esa-Petteri said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

I can deny that easily. Sony>MS>>>>>>>>nintendo.  Let's use your style:

Besides ... hmm... uhh... disaster:doc what else do they offer?

did you read the article? see the data posted? you can deny your taste in games, but you can't deny hard print numbers and facts, Nintendo 1st Party destroys the competition, cash printers, and that's reality.

Xen said:
More Malstromian "I only see Nintendo and no one else" bullshit.

Hell yeah MS and Sony rely on third parties to sell their consoles... Halo and Gran Turismo? never heard of them.

read the whole article and read the whole thread first.

BladeOfGod said:

Hmmm... maybe because Nintendo had 3 consoles on market and sony only 1. And PS2 is much more profitable than GameCube. It sold 2x times the software than gamecube and Gameboy did togehter

you are thinking everything as a whole, we are talking about game publishers seperately, Nintendo has always made money, and lots of it.

BladeOfGod said:

I agree with you that GC did not make as much as PS2. But the PS2 wasn't the only console during that time.... The PS1 was selling in the early years, and the PSP in the later years.

If you would look above I made an estimation for PS2, which has likely made about $3 billion in it's life.

During the "gamecube years" Nintendo made about $4.5-5 billion, but it is much harder to seperate their figures at a glance given how close the launch of GBA and GC was, but I doubt the GC made much more than $1-1.5 billion.

If Nintendo can be the most profitable game company from 3rd place, I don't see how they can be doomed when they're in 1st place. That's what I was getting at. I wasn't trying to discuss quality or 1st party this or that, or handhelds, or anything else. I was just talking total profit. Nintendo always makes money. They're doom-proof.