By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

Malstrom just posted a new article:
http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/05/14/why-ive-stopped-respecting-this-industry/
This one is really intresting, one of his better ones in a while.

Around the Network

Arcades are still around and fighters will forever be greatest on that platform. =)

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Garcian Smith said:
bardicverse said:
Xxain said:
I hate the " Nintendo is is casualizing the market" crap. ppl dont realize the market has been casualizing for years now.

Very true, in fact, people forget that the origins of the industry was "Casual". Core games didnt really show up till the NES. SO you might actually attribute "core gaming" to Nintendo. Ironic, isn't it?

Wrong. Actually, the NES was considered "casual" in its time, while arcade games (the dominant form of gaming at the time) were the "hardcore." Had you been alive when the NES was released, you'd have heard all sorts of talk about how the NES and those new easy, kiddy, casual games where you go from point A to point B (some of them - gasp - don't even have high score charts!) were killing and "casualizing" gaming.

End result: Some "hardcore" adapted; others clung bitterly to their style of games until the market for them dwindled down into nothingness.

How's that for a modern-day parallel?

you know i was very much alive then enjoyed gaming, arcade, and home console but never remember this coming up. ever. 

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

ClaudeLv250 said:
chasmatic12 said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

You are listing every nintendo published game in the last 2 years. You missed on xbox 360 PGR4 Forza 2 crackdown

Sony Motorstorm 1 & 2, Warhawk, Uncharted

Lot more variety is found at Ms and Sony than at nintendos first party efforts.

A lot more variety? If an action/adventure, platformer, fighter, srpg, first person shooter/adventure, 2D platformer, racer, and fitness sim isn't variety, than God help us all.

This.

Nintendo has first party everything covered. Quality, sales, variety, etc.

I am not a sony spokesperson so I can't talk for sony but take a look at MS published developed games

3rd person shooter - Gears, Gears 2

Sandbox - Crackdown

Racing -PGR3, PGR4, Forza 2

Action/Adventure - Ninja Blade, Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human

RPG - Mass Effect, Fable 2, Lost Oddisey, Blue Dragon

FPS - Halo 3, Perfect Dark Zero

Strategy - Halo Wars

Platformer - Banj Nuts and bolts, Kameo

PArty - Lips, Scene it

Simulation - Viva Pinata, Viva Pinata 2.

Some of these obviously have great sales and some dont. Nintendo does have great sales as I stated in the previous statement. But I am speaking in the last year and a half or 2 years... Ever since Mario Glaxy, nintendo has been on a quiet mode and the products they released have sold well but have not been up to par with the other 2 consoles first party offerings...I mean, Smash Brothers and maybe Mario Kart wii are the only 2 nintendo published games I'd even consider purchasing.

Also just because there is 1 FPS game (which isn't an FPS at all but an FPA) you people think Nintendo has the genre "covered"? Give me a break.

Garcian Smith said:
bardicverse said:
Xxain said:
I hate the " Nintendo is is casualizing the market" crap. ppl dont realize the market has been casualizing for years now.

Very true, in fact, people forget that the origins of the industry was "Casual". Core games didnt really show up till the NES. SO you might actually attribute "core gaming" to Nintendo. Ironic, isn't it?

Wrong. Actually, the NES was considered "casual" in its time, while arcade games (the dominant form of gaming at the time) were the "hardcore." Had you been alive when the NES was released, you'd have heard all sorts of talk about how the NES and those new easy, kiddy, casual games where you go from point A to point B (some of them - gasp - don't even have high score charts!) were killing and "casualizing" gaming.

End result: Some "hardcore" adapted; others clung bitterly to their style of games until the market for them dwindled down into nothingness.

So, in these modern days, what would be "the new NES games"?....you know, the ones that apparently the "hardcore" will have to adapt to, just like all those years ago?

Around the Network

Heheheh Nintendo is doomed :D

It has only accomplished a feat never before achieved by being the huge front runner in both portable & console markets. Must be doomed. Yep.

I'll admit, nintendo sell me on thier systems with their first party franchises (I have at MOST 1/3 of my games 3rd party, and then its mostly sega anyway), but what works works. The other systems died for other relevant reasons.

JGarret said:
Garcian Smith said:
bardicverse said:
Xxain said:

So, in these modern days, what would be "the new NES games"?....you know, the ones that apparently the "hardcore" will have to adapt to, just like all those years ago?

Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Brain Age, and their ilk.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Mario Galaxy
Wario Shake
Wii Music
Wii Fit
Mario Kart
Mario Striker
Battalion Wars Wii
Metroid
Zelda
Smash Bros Brawl
Excite Truck
Excite Bots
That game with the colors and stuff that about electricity.
Super Paper Mario
Pokemon Revolution
Mario Party 8

oh gosh the list goes on dissolute, if you need me to I could google up the last 2 years.

Also I thought Gears was Epic, and Ninja Gaiden was Tecmo or something, your cheating!

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

RisenTerran said:
Heheheh Nintendo is doomed :D

It has only accomplished a feat never before achieved by being the huge front runner in both portable & console markets. Must be doomed. Yep.

I'll admit, nintendo sell me on thier systems with their first party franchises (I have at MOST 1/3 of my games 3rd party, and then its mostly sega anyway), but what works works. The other systems died for other relevant reasons.

I guess you forgot about NES + GB / SNES + GB combo.

But Garcian, what does "adapt to" mean, in this case?...I imagine games people refer to as 'hardcore' (though I prefer the term 'core') and games like Nintendogs, Brain Age, WiiSports, etc...can perfectly coexist without any problems.

But when Malstrom talks about 'adapting to', it might sound like the huge majority of games, according to him, are bound to end up like WiiSports, Nintendogs, etc...so I don´t agree with him about that (if that´s what he thinks will happen, or maybe I´m misinterpreting him).