By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

TWRoO said:
BladeOfGod said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Nintendo made more money during the GameCube years than Sony did during the PS2 years.

Then Nintendo made the Wii and DS, while Sony lost every single PS2 dollar they made.

Nintendo will never be doomed.

Hmmm... maybe because Nintendo had 3 consoles on market and sony only 1. And PS2 is much more profitable than GameCube. It sold 2x times the software than gamecube and Gameboy did togehter

I agree with you that GC did not make as much as PS2. But the PS2 wasn't the only console during that time.... The PS1 was selling in the early years, and the PSP in the later years.

If you would look above I made an estimation for PS2, which has likely made about $3 billion in it's life.

During the "gamecube years" Nintendo made about $4.5-5 billion, but it is much harder to seperate their figures at a glance given how close the launch of GBA and GC was, but I doubt the GC made much more than $1-1.5 billion.

Yes, PS1 was on market but it barely sold 30-80k per week.PSP was out when DS was already launched and PS1 disconected, so nintendo still had more consoles on market but that doesnt change the fact Nintendo made more profit.

And i think when people say nintendo is doomed they dont mean it will go bankrupt or lose money they just meant Nintendo dominaton will end or sales will become smaller

Around the Network

I agree with the sentiment in the article, if not all the arguments he puts forward.

I definitely agree with his earlier sections, about Nintendo being written off in 2005, about the DS/Wii being trashed by the analysts and industry writers. Did anyone take a look at the article he links to? The writer there said that Nintendo would be left behind by mainstream gaming, and that games like Nintendogs would fail, and that the DS/Revolution would be irrelevant in the face of PSP/PS3/360. Nintendogs has now sold more than 20million copies, and the DS and Wii are the leading (sales-wise, which is the only indisputable element to this discussion) machines of this generation. Like the Malstrom said, Nintendo appealed to customers and non-customers, and not "The Industry". It's why they attract so much hate, and why people inside that small sphere of the 'knowledgeable industry analyst' are constantly predicting their doom. Part of me thinks they (industry writers/analysts) want Nintendo to fail because Nintendo proved them all wrong. It's also worth mentioning that thanks to Nintendo, thanks to titles like Brain Training, Nintendogs, Wii Sports and Wii Fit, gaming is becoming more mainstream than ever.

Likewise, my dismay and frustration at the "Nintendo is doomed" predictions of 2005 is mirrored now by people predicting and even hoping for the demise of Sony in this generation. What's good about a major console manufacturer being dumped out of the industry? What's good about skilled developers, manufacturers and artists losing their jobs? What's good about loyal consumers seeing their favourite console/franchises etc disappear, or be hammered into multi-format titles that never approach the glory of their early, first party days? (I'm looking at you, SEGA/Sonic). We should celebrate the fact that Nintendo came back from "the brink", that more people than ever are enjoying games, that we have a highly competitive and diverse industry. We should hope that the three console manufacturers prosper in the market, but never that one monopolises the market.

We should hope that Microsoft and Sony come back from the upset Nintendo have caused so far, stronger than ever. In the face of competition, each manufacturer will only try harder. That's something that will benefit all of us. I think the best is yet to come from this generation, because the competition will only get tougher.

BladeOfGod said:
TWRoO said:
BladeOfGod said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Nintendo made more money during the GameCube years than Sony did during the PS2 years.

Then Nintendo made the Wii and DS, while Sony lost every single PS2 dollar they made.

Nintendo will never be doomed.

Hmmm... maybe because Nintendo had 3 consoles on market and sony only 1. And PS2 is much more profitable than GameCube. It sold 2x times the software than gamecube and Gameboy did togehter

I agree with you that GC did not make as much as PS2. But the PS2 wasn't the only console during that time.... The PS1 was selling in the early years, and the PSP in the later years.

If you would look above I made an estimation for PS2, which has likely made about $3 billion in it's life.

During the "gamecube years" Nintendo made about $4.5-5 billion, but it is much harder to seperate their figures at a glance given how close the launch of GBA and GC was, but I doubt the GC made much more than $1-1.5 billion.

Yes, PS1 was on market but it barely sold 30-80k per week.PSP was out when DS was already launched and PS1 disconected, so nintendo still had more consoles on market but that doesnt change the fact Nintendo made more profit.

And i think when people say nintendo is doomed they dont mean it will go bankrupt or lose money they just meant Nintendo dominaton will end or sales will become smaller

I disagree, these sick f---s want to see the death of Nintendo, they want to see Iwata commit harikuri, they want to see Miyamoto work for MS. Doomed means doomed, dead, over, bankrupt, no more, taken over, from today onwards known as Microsoft Family Division.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Oh I get it, so Game Cube was doomed and would be bought by apple while Nintendo was doind fine. Silly you, every wii sold is about 2 GC's with $2 extra for duct tape and $50 for Wii sports.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

steven787 said:
famousringo said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

Meh, disolitude is just making a subjective value judgement on what he perceives as quality. There's no sense arguing with that.

There's also no sense arguing sales. MS and Sony aren't even in the same league. Here's publisher totals for '08 in the Americas:

Publisher Totals:

ConsoleYear
Nintendo 63,979,509
Electronic Arts 47,895,304
Activision 37,716,012
Ubisoft 27,911,055
Take-Two Interactive 20,476,625
THQ 18,539,249
Sega 14,180,149
Sony Computer Entertainment 13,417,892
LucasArts 11,118,752
Microsoft 10,142,602
Total 330,946,820

Let's put some perspective on that... this is 2008 for Japan...

Publisher Totals:

ConsoleYear
Nintendo 22,618,275
Namco Bandai 6,737,004
Capcom 4,906,064
Konami 4,805,425
Square Enix 3,867,488
Sega 2,831,473
Sony Computer Entertainment 1,886,494
Koei 1,615,727
Level 5 1,286,820
Banpresto 1,275,593

Now you are just being mean.

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Around the Network

@dib didn't you hear? Apple is buying EA!!!! wuzza!

‘concerning’, ‘problematic’, and eventually ‘doomed’.

I love these stages

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

"Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there..."

This has already sort of been debunked, but just to elaborate:

MS' only notable first-party studios are Lionhead (Fable series), Rare, and Turn 10 (Forza Motorsport). There's also a couple of smaller ones, but they haven't produced anything of note yet. Compare that to Nintendo's legion of first- and second-party development houses and there's, well, just no comparison at all.

You might be able to make a case for Sony, but only a couple of their in-house studios (Team ICO and Polyphony [Gran Turismo]) have produced quality games on any level consistent with even a single one of Nintendo's first-party studios, let alone a second-party studio like HAL Laboratory. Companies like Insomniac, Sucker Punch, and Media Molecule are just third-party studios who have committed themselves in some vague form or another to developing for Sony platforms. (By comparison, a second-party studio like HAL is an independent company that the console manufacturer has actually contracted to produce exclusive games.)

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Xxain said:
I hate the " Nintendo is is casualizing the market" crap. ppl dont realize the market has been casualizing for years now.

Very true, in fact, people forget that the origins of the industry was "Casual". Core games didnt really show up till the NES. SO you might actually attribute "core gaming" to Nintendo. Ironic, isn't it?

bardicverse said:
Xxain said:
I hate the " Nintendo is is casualizing the market" crap. ppl dont realize the market has been casualizing for years now.

Very true, in fact, people forget that the origins of the industry was "Casual". Core games didnt really show up till the NES. SO you might actually attribute "core gaming" to Nintendo. Ironic, isn't it?

Wrong. Actually, the NES was considered "casual" in its time, while arcade games (the dominant form of gaming at the time) were the "hardcore." Had you been alive when the NES was released, you'd have heard all sorts of talk about how the NES and those new easy, kiddy, casual games where you go from point A to point B (some of them - gasp - don't even have high score charts!) were killing and "casualizing" gaming.

End result: Some "hardcore" adapted; others clung bitterly to their style of games until the market for them dwindled down into nothingness.

How's that for a modern-day parallel?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom