By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

Meh, disolitude is just making a subjective value judgement on what he perceives as quality. There's no sense arguing with that.

There's also no sense arguing sales. MS and Sony aren't even in the same league. Here's publisher totals for '08 in the Americas:

Publisher Totals:

ConsoleYear
Nintendo 63,979,509
Electronic Arts 47,895,304
Activision 37,716,012
Ubisoft 27,911,055
Take-Two Interactive 20,476,625
THQ 18,539,249
Sega 14,180,149
Sony Computer Entertainment 13,417,892
LucasArts 11,118,752
Microsoft 10,142,602
Total 330,946,820

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

Meh, disolitude is just making a subjective value judgement on what he perceives as quality. There's no sense arguing with that.

There's also no sense arguing sales. MS and Sony aren't even in the same league. Here's publisher totals for '08 in the Americas:

Publisher Totals:

ConsoleYear
Nintendo 63,979,509
Electronic Arts 47,895,304
Activision 37,716,012
Ubisoft 27,911,055
Take-Two Interactive 20,476,625
THQ 18,539,249
Sega 14,180,149
Sony Computer Entertainment 13,417,892
LucasArts 11,118,752
Microsoft 10,142,602
Total 330,946,820

Let's put some perspective on that... this is 2008 for Japan...

Publisher Totals:

ConsoleYear
Nintendo 22,618,275
Namco Bandai 6,737,004
Capcom 4,906,064
Konami 4,805,425
Square Enix 3,867,488
Sega 2,831,473
Sony Computer Entertainment 1,886,494
Koei 1,615,727
Level 5 1,286,820
Banpresto 1,275,593

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I wish we could do this with Others. I'm sure Sony could nudge up a spot or two. Maybe with VGC 2.0?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Oh in others, Sony totally makes up the difference for Japan w/ ~12 times Nintendo's other sales.

/sarcasm

On topic: I don't really understand this discussion and never have (even when it was the Gamecube years) Nintendo has such a solid history of profit.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Isn't Jak and Daxter and Ratchet and Clank PS only? Well, I think Ratchet and Clank are more well known than Jak and Daxter but Mario and gang have been around for decades. It will take a lot of time for known characters to move up in popularity. Casual gamers know mario but if you want a character to be a household name, you are going to have to make games with it that appeal to both children, teens and adults. Mario games have that universal appeal.  People grew up with Mario and his gang.  Kids, adults, and teens can all have fun playing Galaxy.  I mean, who grows up with the GTA series?

Oh, wait, I know,  Crash Bandicoot.  I believe may be one of the most well known characters.

Around the Network

That was a fun read.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

Nice read,and btw Ninty got many memorable mascots at the beginning of this gen doesn't mean they cheat.It call 'reputation' that Nintendo gather from many years of successful and well-manage their brand.

Sony got many years of success from PS1&2 too ,but they can't keep successful in their mascots as same as Nintendo did.If Sony got strong 1st party games and don't rely too much on 3rd parties.(Plus with some more creative and understand what consumer want.)The position in this gen will be much different.

MS ,i don't know enough to said so i'll skip this one.

^ I think Sony are now regretting the lack of a bundled game with both their PS consoles. That might have helped generate the same kind of brand loyalty but its too late.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

For Sony their in-house game were never designed for moving the sales of the console, it is in the current generation where they are losing exclusive third partie titles that Sony is being forced to put more effort in first partie studios.

Nintendo games are designed around the console with the objective of moving more consoles, for Nintendo Animal Crossing: City Folk and Wii Music are failures because they don´t move consoles, the same games from Sony would have been huge successes cos they would sold milions of copies.

Different philosophies

Nintendo made more money during the GameCube years than Sony did during the PS2 years.

Then Nintendo made the Wii and DS, while Sony lost every single PS2 dollar they made.

Nintendo will never be doomed.