By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Article: Why Nintendo is always ‘doomed’

disolitude said:
Ok...so some of you have answered my post (while others gave me some chinese riddles to solve).

So people here (not casuals) do think that Wii is the best gaming system this gen. This is something that I wanted to hear as I have a hard time understanding why anyone that playes games on a daily basis would choose the wii the "gaming system of the generation". Don't get me worng, I've had the wii for 2 years and I find it fun to pop in once in a while...and its a cool alternative to when I suck at Halo or street fighter online and I want something stress free.

To me Wii is like an automatic car. Its easy to drive everyone can do it and can be fun when you are with a group of people, but as a driving enthusiast, I will take a manual over an auto any day...

That's lumping the Wii in with a bunch of easier games, and implying the whole system is like that. That is just as much BS as implying the 360 itself is an FPS.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Xxain said:
I hate the " Nintendo is is casualizing the market" crap. ppl dont realize the market has been casualizing for years now.

Yeah, but my parents never picked up a PS2 controller.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Undying said:
Xxain said:
I hate the " Nintendo is is casualizing the market" crap. ppl dont realize the market has been casualizing for years now.

Yeah, but my parents never picked up a PS2 controller.

Unless your parents were at the vanguard of that, it doesn't say much.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Mr Khan said:
disolitude said:
Ok...so some of you have answered my post (while others gave me some chinese riddles to solve).

So people here (not casuals) do think that Wii is the best gaming system this gen. This is something that I wanted to hear as I have a hard time understanding why anyone that playes games on a daily basis would choose the wii the "gaming system of the generation". Don't get me worng, I've had the wii for 2 years and I find it fun to pop in once in a while...and its a cool alternative to when I suck at Halo or street fighter online and I want something stress free.

To me Wii is like an automatic car. Its easy to drive everyone can do it and can be fun when you are with a group of people, but as a driving enthusiast, I will take a manual over an auto any day...

Which is fine, i don't think anyone's here to debate your personal opinion, but other people feel differently.

I certainly was fine with my GameCube last gen, playing my games while the great, industry defining titles like Guitar Hero, Halo 2, GTA III and its sequels, Devil May Cry, etc, all passed me by without a care in the world. Some simply don't care for what is being offered as the mainstays of PS360 gaming (i'm one of them). If i were a PS360 owner, it would be to taste the fringes of those platforms (stuff like LBP, Phantasy Star Universe, Too Human, Ratchet & Clank), while ignoring the mainstays, like Gears, Halo, Resistance, Uncharted, Motorstorm, etc, completely

So you don't care to play the majority of good third party titles? Fair enough. R&C is easily a mainstay. By simple comparison, The Wii simply isn't getting support consistent with being a dominant system. Considering you weathered the gamecube with no other system, it doesn't suprise me that you are content with the Wii's offerings. The Wii is a fine complementary system, but you are missing out if you don't have a PC, PS3 or a x360.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

chasmatic12 said:
disolitude said:
Bobbuffalo said:
disolitude said:

Sony and even ms first party efforts are much better than nintendos for the last year or two. They may not produce the same sales as nintendos products but quality is there...

Other than that the article is right...

Besides Gears of wars, Halo, Fable on the xbox360 and Killzone and........on the PS3 what else do they offer?

Nintendo on the other hand released Zelda, Mario, smash bros, fire emblem, metroid, new super mario bros and the mega succesful Mario kart wii and wii fit.

You can't deny that Nintendo is and always be the company with their strongest 1st party.

You are listing every nintendo published game in the last 2 years. You missed on xbox 360 PGR4 Forza 2 crackdown

Sony Motorstorm 1 & 2, Warhawk, Uncharted

Lot more variety is found at Ms and Sony than at nintendos first party efforts.

A lot more variety? If an action/adventure, platformer, fighter, srpg, first person shooter/adventure, 2D platformer, racer, and fitness sim isn't variety, than God help us all.

This!  <_< seriously how could you miss the titles being listed covering so many genres.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network
ameratsu said:
Mr Khan said:
disolitude said:

Which is fine, i don't think anyone's here to debate your personal opinion, but other people feel differently.

I certainly was fine with my GameCube last gen, playing my games while the great, industry defining titles like Guitar Hero, Halo 2, GTA III and its sequels, Devil May Cry, etc, all passed me by without a care in the world. Some simply don't care for what is being offered as the mainstays of PS360 gaming (i'm one of them). If i were a PS360 owner, it would be to taste the fringes of those platforms (stuff like LBP, Phantasy Star Universe, Too Human, Ratchet & Clank), while ignoring the mainstays, like Gears, Halo, Resistance, Uncharted, Motorstorm, etc, completely

So you don't care to play the majority of good third party titles? Fair enough. R&C is easily a mainstay. By simple comparison, The Wii simply isn't getting support consistent with being a dominant system. Considering you weathered the gamecube with no other system, it doesn't suprise me that you are content with the Wii's offerings. The Wii is a fine complementary system, but you are missing out if you don't have a PC, PS3 or a x360.

But that's the point, if you have a PC there is no reason to own a 360 or a PS3, however there is always a reason to own a Wii

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

it was a good read until he mentioned that sony and microsoft doesn't make any first party efforts.

you are serious?

PullusPardus said:
it was a good read until he mentioned that sony and microsoft doesn't make any first party efforts.

you are serious?

Compared to Nintendo he's right, just look at the sales of Nintendo first party games versus Sony and MS first party

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

disolitude said:
griffinA said:
disolitude said:
griffinA said:

Wow, I mean, I know this happens whenever Malstrom gets posted but it's particularly hard to swallow now.

Instead of actually thinking about and having a big discussion about the actual important points Malstrom makes, people just zero in on one insignificant point he made somewhere in the piece and argue against it. I won't lie, on entering this thread I did expect pettty bickering, but I expected bickering related to the important arguments Malstrom made.

Can we move on from talking about whether Nintendo's studios are better than Sony's and talk about whether overall Malstrom is right or not? Or perhaps someone could write a rebuttel to the piece itself?

thats because this article is as pedestrian and obvious as any hes ever posted. Without cherrypicking on the points he got wrong yuo'd have a 15 post thread.

Then maybe you could argue how it could improve itself? Or how the whole article is incorrect by writing a similar one yourself? Or demostrate how it is so 'pedestrian', as you put it?

I don't get paid to write stuff nor do I have the time to write my opinions. This perticular piece he wrote is about as obvious as it gets.

Point 1. Nintendo is always doomed in the media becuase their consoles don't sell 3rd party software - statement is true. Media doesn't like it when you don't share the love.

Point 2. Nintendo wii is blamed if a 3rd paty game doesnt sell well, not the company that made the crappy game.  Lots of good Wii 3rd party games sold less than Deca Sports and Carnival games so I am not sure I agree. But yes, wii gets the blame becuase it hasn't proven it will sell adult themed,  games that are not nintendo made.

Point 3. Xbox and ps3 get the credit when 3rd party game succeeds. Complete BS. GTA4 is a bad example because MS and Sony advertised that game to death. So they did get partial credit for its success.

Point 4. Xbox and PS3 dont get blamed if a 3rd party sells badly, intead publishers get blamed for making a bad game. This is sometimes true too (Mirrors edge, Valk Chronicles)

Not a single point he makes is concrete and all can be argued both ways.

Uhhhh, besides the fact you were most off base most of the time.

1. Statement is not true. What the hell is wrong with you? (Hint: How is the press a third party developer?)
  2. Again, how the hell is Nintendo or the Wii responsable for a game not doing well. Did they personally sabotage them? Unless you can give a reason why the system is too blame, your wrong.
  3. Yes they do. The third party is usually ignored in Sony and Microsoft's case
  4. Point 4 is always true.

Smashchu2 said:
disolitude said:
griffinA said:
disolitude said:
griffinA said:

Wow, I mean, I know this happens whenever Malstrom gets posted but it's particularly hard to swallow now.

Instead of actually thinking about and having a big discussion about the actual important points Malstrom makes, people just zero in on one insignificant point he made somewhere in the piece and argue against it. I won't lie, on entering this thread I did expect pettty bickering, but I expected bickering related to the important arguments Malstrom made.

Can we move on from talking about whether Nintendo's studios are better than Sony's and talk about whether overall Malstrom is right or not? Or perhaps someone could write a rebuttel to the piece itself?

thats because this article is as pedestrian and obvious as any hes ever posted. Without cherrypicking on the points he got wrong yuo'd have a 15 post thread.

Then maybe you could argue how it could improve itself? Or how the whole article is incorrect by writing a similar one yourself? Or demostrate how it is so 'pedestrian', as you put it?

I don't get paid to write stuff nor do I have the time to write my opinions. This perticular piece he wrote is about as obvious as it gets.

Point 1. Nintendo is always doomed in the media becuase their consoles don't sell 3rd party software - statement is true. Media doesn't like it when you don't share the love.

Point 2. Nintendo wii is blamed if a 3rd paty game doesnt sell well, not the company that made the crappy game.  Lots of good Wii 3rd party games sold less than Deca Sports and Carnival games so I am not sure I agree. But yes, wii gets the blame becuase it hasn't proven it will sell adult themed,  games that are not nintendo made.

Point 3. Xbox and ps3 get the credit when 3rd party game succeeds. Complete BS. GTA4 is a bad example because MS and Sony advertised that game to death. So they did get partial credit for its success.

Point 4. Xbox and PS3 dont get blamed if a 3rd party sells badly, intead publishers get blamed for making a bad game. This is sometimes true too (Mirrors edge, Valk Chronicles)

Not a single point he makes is concrete and all can be argued both ways.

Uhhhh, besides the fact you were most off base most of the time.

1. Statement is not true. What the hell is wrong with you? (Hint: How is the press a third party developer?)
  2. Again, how the hell is Nintendo or the Wii responsable for a game not doing well. Did they personally sabotage them? Unless you can give a reason why the system is too blame, your wrong.
  3. Yes they do. The third party is usually ignored in Sony and Microsoft's case
  4. Point 4 is always true.

haha...read my post carefully.

1. It is true that media makes nintendo look like they are doomed. Im not saying nintendo is doomed but that media always writes about that. Media sees the lack of 3rd party games and how its jsut nintendo profiting off the wii and usually base their asumptions off that. They are wrong, but that statement is true.

2. Media blames Wii when a Wii title fails. IS this not true? I believe it is. Every time a high profile game fails on the wii we see stories that wii doesnt sell games. So I believe this is true.

the other 2 we agree on...