By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What should Wii do to maintain momentum?

Obviously the Nintendo Wii is doing quite well considering its graphical handicap, rough start with third party development and controversial approach towards gaming but can this trend really sustain its momentum? The answer is no. Things have to change and we know they will, but the real question is how will they change in the upcoming 2008 and 2009 years? Games like Mario, Zelda and Metroid will always be shoe-in successes but they are merely Nintendo putting its best foot forward this year to show their support for this new console, not something we can rely on consistently year after year, nor should we given the negative reputation relying heavily on first party titles does. Aside from the early third party cash in games, many high ranking third party developers such as Capcom, Bandai/Namco and the lot have pledged the majority of their support to the Wii in this generation yet we know nothing of any games that weren't already on the scheduling block before such pledges were made. What needs to change in the Wii’s games to maintain its longevity and what types of games and franchises does it need?

What future titles should we be looking forward to from Capcom, Bandai/Namco, Ubisoft and other developers to spice up the Wii’s library? What genres are we missing? What markets are being missed? We need not worry about the Casual market, Nintendo is more than prepared to keep that angle well accommodated till the system’s end but for the rest of us what should we hold out hope for? This is a tricky question as Nintendo is now holding back info on future projects more so than ever before leaving us in the dark longer and with only the field post directly in front of us to guide the way.

So tell us, what does Nintendo need and what should we be looking forward to in their future games. Or will their library this generation be one relegated to mediocrity in spite of the console’s “novelty” success.

Around the Network

release more casual focused games, not becoming arrogant like sony did

quite easy if you think about it.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I think most would agree that casual focused games are more than accomodated for in the Wii's current library. Interesting point though...

Casuals are fine; they need to focus more on the hardcore. They're the ones that spread the word and attract more casuals.

I think the majority of the things you mentioned will give the machine enough momentum to get through 2008s dry summer, by which time they will have somethin new lined up for the holidays.
Theres plenty of decent games coming along from 3rd parties, more than nintendo have known for a decade. I dont think they have anything to worry about.

Around the Network

If the Wii is to really push ahead in terms of success then I think it wouldn't go astray for Nintendo to 'Bribe', (fund) some of the major 3rd party titles being announced exclusively to the PS3 and 360.

I mean what's with that? Those consoles seem to be getting all the great heavy hitter games while the Wii is ending up with a load of crap. I mean, I know that 3rd parties where caught off guard and are now developing games for it but every other title for it being announced is another party game, mini game or quirky title and all the major games are going elsewhere.

Even the developers themselves are saying it's a great party machine while the PS3 and 360 can show their creative sides of games? I mean c'mon, the Wii isn't that friken weak!

So I think A few $$$ into 3rd party exclusive (Hardcore) games could do a lot for the system.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!

They need to take all of ps3/xbox360 games.

mM

The quality third party titles have started to arrive with RE:UC, Nights, and No More Heroes. We should start getting seriously more next year, and Nintendo still haven't announced too many of their first party games. I wouldn't worry about momentum stopping when the situation is this good.

leo-j said:
They need to take all of ps3/xbox360 games.

Well... Bioshock would be a nice addition to the Wii, though I can't think of much on the PS3 up to this point that would be really worth keeping. Either way, if the Wii is really getting a whole boat load of third party support that Sony basically lost this generation one could assume that most of the third party games comming out for the Wii in the future would have potentially been PS3 or 360 otherwise so I suppose your theory does work to some extent. I think a more realistic outlook might be needed on the matter though. Nice input though.

^ That is true. Didn't Nintendo state they have like 40 or 50 Wii titles in development at the moment? The majority of those not even announced yet?

Let's just hope it's the same with 3rd P's. They have a plethora of games but just have not had enough development time yet to actually announce the titles.

It's me...  no really, it IS me!!!