By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Million Seller Games Thread

Well, coming back to the thread issue. Ds is just incredible, and we can be sure the remake of pokemon GS will reach the 10 million mark.

Around the Network

wich PS3 game has sold more than 5 m ??

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
MasterZack said:

GTA 4

Carl2291 said:
MasterZack said:

GTA 4

I though was MGS4

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
MasterZack said:
Carl2291 said:
MasterZack said:

GTA 4

I though was MGS4

Nahh, by VGChartz numbers iMGS4 is just under 4million.

Around the Network

Added Soul Calibur IV (PS3) and Lego Batman : The videogame (DS) in the 1 million section.

Added Resident Evil 5 (X360) and Sega Superstars Tennis (X360) in the 2 million section and Imagine : Animal Doctor (DS) in the 1 million section.

MontanaHatchet said:

I wasn't arguing whether Wii Fit was more popular than Gran Turismo or not, but I was just listing a random example of a game and saying that it's only liked by hardcore gamers on the internet because I said so. Take, for example, Gran Turismo 4 selling nearly 20k copies the peak week of last holiday season. Who was buying it, hardcore gamers on the internet? No, most likely it was people who had just heard of the series or the game and thought they'd enjoy it. Casuals, if you will. Just so you know, Sony's losses go a lot deeper than software. At this point, they're more worried about pushing hardware than moving software. By bundling, they'll be able to more hardware. Let's just make a simple hypothetical:

Sony makes 1 million bundles (which is quite a lot).

With these bundles, Sony managed to sell a million extra PS3s. That's pretty significant for the hardware. However, Gran Turismo 5 sells one million copies less. That's bad, but nothing terrible. Sony is losing billions, I don't think they're worried about a couple million less profit because of a game. Plus, the higher the PS3 userbase, the more games Sony can sell. The main problem I have with your post is you putting words in my mouth. I'll be talking about this all throughout my post since you do it a lot (it's a bad habit, you know). I never said Gran Turismo was more popular than Wii Fit, or anything close to that. I have no idea where you got that from.

By the way, I never said that I thought Gran Turismo 5 would sell 10 million (see, there you go again). I believe the same thing as you, that it will be hard for the game to sell 10 million without bundling. Hell, Metal Gear Solid 4 couldn't even sell in the range of the earlier games without bundling (and it's still not near the first two). I'm not arguing anything like that at all, and in fact, I agree with you. If you weren't so busy trying to shove words in my mouth to fit your arguments than maybe you'd know that.

Your point about the PS2 vs. PS3 being like the GC vs. Wii was way off. Are you actually going to claim that the two are similar? The two cases are actually like extreme opposites. With the PS2 and PS3, the PS3 cut off most of the PS2 userbase, but is still mostly consisting of PS2 owners. With the GC and Wii, the Wii consists majorly of not GC owners (I can say this safely because the Gamecube didn't even sell half of what the Wii has sold now).

Yeah, I'm guessing that Gran Turismo Prologue did well because it was the only Gran Turismo game on the PS3. But didn't you just claim that the PS3 userbase is completely different from the PS2 userbase? Why would people even buy the game at all if the userbases were so different? I'm not sure of the extent of GT5P's bundling, but it definitely didn't count for the majority of the sales so the game sold pretty well even without bundling. All I remember was a bundle at its European debut which caused a bump in PS3 hardware, but like I said before, I'm not entirely sure. By the way thanks for completely missing the point about Grand Theft Auto. GTA is a more popular series than Gran Turismo, that's why GTA4 has already sold 12.5 million and Gran Turismo 5 will probably never get anywhere close to that. I wasn't arguing that whatsoever. However, the GTA userbase has been hugely split due to GTA4 being on two platforms. Gran Turismo 5, on the other hand, is still an exclusive. Maybe a little point you missed there.

And then you just go on blabbing for several lines about how I'm a fanboy and how something I didn't say is wrong, which is fine. I know, I'm some kind of bad Sony fanboy and you're just peaches and cream, ain'tcha? By the way Savior, he didn't "get me" at all. We don't need pep squads on this site, thank you very much.

Well if you all agree on the numbers, why do you have to be so harsh with each other?

I actually agree too that GT5 will probably sell somewhere between 7 million and 10, maybe 11 million. However, atma really makes the better points than you do, Montana.

I mean, of course about every PS3 owner was also a PS2 owner, because almost every gamer was a PS2 owner last gen. If you go by that argument, you could also say that the X360's and even the Wii's userbase is essentially the same as the PS2's.
However, this doesn't work. It actually depends which parts of the PS2's ownerbase now own a PS3. Let's assume that the PS2's userbase looked as follows: About 15 % Sony fanboys, about 10 % Final Fantasy fanatics, about 15 % children under 10, about 10 % hardcore gamers that own everything that is related to gaming, about 20 % GTA casuals and about 35 % Eyetoy casuals and late adopters.

Now the questions are: a) who of those bought a PS3 and b) which groups are more likely to buy GT5. Luckily for you, the groups that are likely to buy GT5 have probably been adopting the PS3 much faster than the others. The Sony fanboys have bought it almost completely, the hardcores too of course. the final fantasy fanatics might be around too, but they are not buying GT so much like other groups, so they don't matter too much. The children under 10 are mostly gone though (off to Wii) but they haven't been buying GT in so big masses either. The group that is missing is the GTA casuals. Of course it's not completely missing, but I assume a fair amount of those is gone to the X360, with some also having switched to the Wii (they want to be cool kids, after all). The last group I mentioned is largely gone, but they haven't bought GT5 so much anyway, except for some of the late adopters.

This all results in my assumption that the game will certainly sell less than previous installments, but you can't just calculate the userbase down to get the numbers.

And for your other point about bundles, this is also not really a good one since I can't see how selling more units at a loss could make up for the loss you made by selling some units at a loss. The plan was to make up for this losses by selling games, so atma is completely right here. I expect Sony to do bundles anyway though, since they probably can afford it and since they still hope that they can change the tide this gen, but your logic doesn't make sense here.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Pinab said:

That's very interesting! For a comparison:

Ps2:
1M +:213 (higher than all)
2M +: 110 (higher than all current gen)
5M +: 12 (higher than all current gen)
10M+: 4 (lower than DS, ties Wii)

GC: 
1M+: 41 (Beats the PS ones, lower than rest). 
2M+: 12 (lower than X360, Wii and DS, ties Ps3, beats PsP)
5M+: 3 (same as 1M+)
10+: 0

XB:

1M+: 37(same as GC 1M+)
2M+: 7 (lower than all, except tieing PsP)
5M+: 2 (Higher than PS ones, lower than rest). 
10+: 0

It's very interesting to see that the X360 beats the GC&XB, despite having sold roughly the same software (208M shipped for GC vs 227M sold for X360), as well as the Ps3 tieing it despite having sold only 130M software. That either means VGChartz is lacking a fair bit of XB and GC million sellers, or that there are far fewer titles that fail to reach 1M on the X360 and Ps3 than on the XB and GC.

Sorry for going a bit off topic.

PS2 still PWNES them all

Carl2291 said:
360 will see a 10Million by years end

PS3 has a CHANCE that GT5 could hit 10Million

PSP, if it has a GTPortable... has a chance of a 10Million

Wii + DS are SW monsters.

Its the only game that has a shot at taking the crown from LCS, but I doubt it could sell 10 million :|

Also, the PSP list is probably incomplete because of Others missing data, and the DS one to because of the massive numbers its heaving ;)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!