By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can anybody tell me why Metal Gear Solid 4 will come to the 360?

I don't get the question. It just seems like there's only one answer and it's so smack-me-upside-my-head obvious that I don't know whether it's worth typing. I feel like there's a hidden depth to the question I'm just not getting. Anyhoos, since I love Montana(the state, not this dude with the wolf avatar), I'll give the only answer it could possibly be...money. It's why MGS4 was made in the first place, and it would be the only reason it would be ported. Is there something else I'm not getting here, because that just seemed too straightforward to warrant this ever being a topic.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
The Xbox Man said:
Dgc1808 said:

2) Cheap as port??? Don't care who said it, you or GebX, the game was stated to be highly optimized for PS3, not to mention the installs and all the PS references they have to remove

I am SICK & TIRED of this,........PS3 Superior BS

This hasn't been proved EVER & never will

PS3 is not some superior being with greater technology & MGS4 is a game EASILY done on the Xbox 360 (if RE5 was possible why not MGS4)

So stop the MGS4 is "optimized" for PS3 hype/rubbish.....its getting OLD now

Who said anything about it being superior? They just said that it was optimised for the PS3 - ie. it was programmed with the PS3's strengths and weaknesses (which are different to the 360's strengths and weaknesses) in mind.

To compare: Gears of War was optimised for the 360, and porting it to the PS3 would be a difficult process. Likewise, porting the PS3-optimised MGS4 to the 360 would also be a difficult process.

A MGS4 port on the 360 also wouldn't sell that well. Late ports never do. Most of the fans will have already bought and/or played it, and there's no hype to bring in new users. So it'd be lucky to even sell half a million.

And as has already been established, porting the game to the 360 would be a difficult (and thus costly) affair. High cost plus poor sales do not equal lots of profit.

Instead of getting a team to port MGS4 to the 360, Konami *may* be better off getting them to make a new game, which could potentially make them more profit.

Onyxmeth said:

I don't get the question. It just seems like there's only one answer and it's so smack-me-upside-my-head obvious that I don't know whether it's worth typing. I feel like there's a hidden depth to the question I'm just not getting. Anyhoos, since I love Montana(the state, not this dude with the wolf avatar), I'll give the only answer it could possibly be...money. It's why MGS4 was made in the first place, and it would be the only reason it would be ported. Is there something else I'm not getting here, because that just seemed too straightforward to warrant this ever being a topic.

But it's debatable whether the profits would be worth the cost of porting. I'm not saying money isn't a good reason, all I'm saying is that of all times...why now?

An excellent question, which, in my opinion, has only a few, if any, answers that make sense.

MontanaHatchet said:
Onyxmeth said:

But it's debatable whether the profits would be worth the cost of porting. I'm not saying money isn't a good reason, all I'm saying is that of all times...why now?

There is always a enhanced Metal Gear Solid made, and that seems like a suitable time for it to go multiplat. It'll probably happen fairly soon.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

If business was that straight forward why is Left 4 Dead, Lost Planet 2 a console exclusive as well as FF Versus? Deals are made behind the scenes (I know shocking) and I doubt Konami asked for much after 1 year to keep it PS3 exclusive. If anything else it will be a bragging right Sony has and will want to keep.

What bugs me about the "leak" is that this new MGS4 Oxide is a 360 exclusive, why would Konami fuck over PS3 owners and an install base which has sold 4 million copies of MGS4? If it was multi-plat I woulf not doubt the news but that was just a little too fishy.

MontanaHatchet said:

I don't really care about whether it happens or not, since I own all three consoles and I think a game like Metal Gear Solid 4 would be awesome with achievements. Rather, this thread was made to ask why so many people think that the event of MGS4 coming to the 360 will actually happen. It doesn't seem any more likely to me than it was months ago (in fact, even less so because the hype for the game has died down). The only reason for this annoying resurgence seems to be, of all things, a Twitter post. I don't need any more reasons to hate that site folks.

Ahh well, I'm just curious if anyone has any reason for believing it or announcing it like fact.

I belive it will, because it is a big budget popular 3rd party exclusive, and eventually, it just makes fiscal sense to make it a multiplat.

I believe there are absolutely no hardware limitations preventing a straight port, also, which means that it would be a very simple thing to do, with a high return on investment.

Cleared it right up, didn't I?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

MontanaHatchet said:
Onyxmeth said:

That can be said for a lot of games that barely break even and were knowingly made with that in mind. It doesn't hurt to make an effort though. MGS4 is a popular game and there's no reason to think a late 360 port can't at least grab 25% of the PS3 sales, especially if it's an exclusive enhanced version. If we look at other late ports from 360 to PS3, can we see a 25% rate of purchase there also? I didn't crunch the numbers, but I'd imagine in some case it's happened. In fact, if that happens, I bet some PS3 owners crazily buy themselves a cheap 360 just to play the "Oxide" version, and even more so for multiplatform owners looking to score the enhanced version. It's a good idea to get people to double dip.

I can't offer anything more specific than that since I don't work for Konami. All I know is that one mod here is very sure of himself that this is happening at E3 and he's been saying it for months now. He's usually good on his word, so if he says he has a tidbit of insider info, I'll believe it.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

RPG said:

If business was that straight forward why is Left 4 Dead, Lost Planet 2 a console exclusive as well as FF Versus?

No way to know, too many variables. I would bet money hatting or developer bias was involved though.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

RPG said:

If business was that straight forward why is Left 4 Dead, Lost Planet 2 a console exclusive as well as FF Versus? Deals are made behind the scenes (I know shocking) and I doubt Konami asked for much after 1 year to keep it PS3 exclusive. If anything else it will be a bragging right Sony has and will want to keep.

What bugs me about the "leak" is that this new MGS4 Oxide is a 360 exclusive, why would Konami fuck over PS3 owners and an install base which has sold 4 million copies of MGS4? If it was multi-plat I woulf not doubt the news but that was just a little too fishy.

The thing is, I don't think MGS4 is a bragging right for Sony any longer. They no longer bundle it, they don't advertise for it, it's major sales have come and gone. It's still a third party title, meaning it's making them far less than their own published titles do. Similar to how Microsoft let's their "exclusives" go after a year, I don't think Sony would have a need to keep this going forever. It's the fans that would like this.

To answer the second paragraph, I agree it's kinda fucked up, but that's how things are. Look at Sony, they have a policy to do just that every single time they get a late port. "Give us exclusive content!". It's just that little incentive to nudge people one way or another without having to purchase exclusivity outright, or a publisher's incentive to get people to double dip, and take a moneyhat simultaneously.