By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GAMING'S WORST CONSOLE LAUNCHES

I'm surprised the Nintendo 64 isn't on the list. Sure, it had two fantastic games at launch in Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64....and then almost nothing for several months afterwards.

And I mean that literally. There were almost no games for the thing for months after the launch.

Or does this thread only care about launch day, rather than launch windows?

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
noname2200 said:
I'm surprised the Nintendo 64 isn't on the list. Sure, it had two fantastic games at launch in Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64....and then almost nothing for several months afterwards.

And I mean that literally. There were almost no games for the thing for months after the launch.

Or does this thread only care about launch day, rather than launch windows?

Before the PS2, it was the console with the most anticipated launch, and rightfully so. That system was fantastic and DID also, take the console industry by storm, Super Mario 64 anyone? Fan-fuckin'-tastic game!!!

Yeah, but like I said things dried up real quick after that. Thinking back on it, I believe the only worthwhile titles in the first six months were Mario, Pilotwings, Shadows of the Empire (which hasn't aged well at all) and Wayne Gretzky's 3D-Hockey. I might be missing one or two, but if you were an N-64-only owner in that timeframe, you had nothing new to play for months.

And while the system definitely amassed a great library over time, the dry spells...well, let's just say that those complaining that Nintendo's not released much on the Wii for about a year clearly didn't live through those days.

But I digress.

Yeah, the DS sure didn't get any big game releases around the launch of the DSi in the US.

Hey guys, I've been playing these really niche franchises lately that I want to introduce you to. One is called Grand Theft Auto, and the other was pokemans or something like that

CGI-Quality said:
Mirson said:
PS3 should be higher.

What we have here is someone who didn't do his research. The PS3 DID NOT have a bad launch. I know that's hard to swallow, but it didn't.

It did have a bad launch. There were games worth owning other than Resistance and some blu-ray movies. A lot of launch titles were delayed and were available after the 360's version. After a week of its release, there were piles of PS3 at every store. Australians weren't too thrilled with the PS3. I know that's hard to swallow.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/games/playtime-for-midnights-children/2007/03/23/1174153291466.html

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps3-launch-was-fairly-catastrophic-stringer

I dont think the DSi should be on that list. Replace it with the saturn. The DSi has sold well and thats honestly what should matter in the long run.

Long Live SHIO!

Around the Network

Not the best list the 360 should be on the list for the failure rates, I know it turned me off from buying one at the time. If my memory serves me correct I believe the Gamecube came out with 12 games at the launch, while the N64 came out with a whopping 2 games, again if I recall right I remember articles at the time stating people in Japan that had bought the system returned them shortly after when they had beaten Mario 64 and no new games were coming out. Sega Saturn should obviously be on the list, you cant have a worse launch in my opinion.

I wouldn't think you would put a console launch on the list because of high failure rates. As bad as they have been, I am pretty sure most of the old 360 at least worked for a few months and then broke. The list doesn't seem to really care for accuracy at all and just puts the whatever mainstream consoles it wants for whatever reason it wants. I am pretty sure the console launch for the 64DD was much worse than the Gamecube's.

Man, maybe I should look at ebay for 64DD prices.

lol? where's Saturn, 3DO and Jaguar?
and DSi seriously? also gamecube launching with 3 games in america? so i guess they forget about the other 9 and the fact that gamecube launch games are considerate as the best launch line-up ever(Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, Batman Vengeance, Crazy Taxi)

YES DC japan launch was CRAP. But I still give SEGA credit for the NORTH AMERICAN launch 9/9/99 which was the most awesome launch ever.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

i agree ps3 had the worst launch of all consoles and handhelds from this and last generation(if we're talking about big 4).
- high price
- in EU almost every game from 3rd party publisher was like 6months old and already on 360 and those that weren't were released later on 360 way better then they were on ps3(Virtua Fighter 5).
- not to mention that 2 worst ps3 games were released on the launch(Crossfire and Sonic the Hedgehog) in Europe.
still i think that North America launch was even worse cause there was only 2 games that were good and weren't already on 360(counting Ridge Racer 7) cause europe had 5 of them(if you count broken version of Virtua Fighter 5 and Ridge Racer 7).

plus lack of support from 3rd parties in first few months after release. so yeah ps3 had the worst launch in the past 2 generations.