By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo: We're the only console producer with "powerful" software teams

Did Nintendo not get the memo with all of those quality SONY 1st party titles coming out for the PS3 and PSP?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
noname2200 said:

Well this is highly disappointing. I thought they were above that sort of behavior now...=^/

It's just a bit bragging for the stockholders. I'm sure you wil find it in other financial reports.

But there is some truth in their words. Nintendo's Ip's are one of the best franchises in the world. If i owned them, i would boast about them to everyone.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Euphoria14 said:
Did Nintendo not get the memo with all of those quality SONY 1st party titles coming out for the PS3 and PSP?

It's their financial report they're going to say whatever the shareholders wanted to hear. I don't know why people get to angry at this, every company do the same

leo-j said:
starcraft said:
They are for the most part.

Lets face it. What serious platform shifting in-house games do Microsoft and Sony have? GT from Polyphony and until recently Halo from Bungie.

They arent the only company to make 1st party games

Nintendo is the only actual videogame maker and Sega still makes their games. Microsoft and Sony don't.

I wonder if that's a mis-translation but it sure sounds like an arrogant statement to make. MS barely has any inhouse development left but there's no denying Sony's.

Around the Network
JGarret said:
noname.. everyone, including Nintendo, is an asshole every once in a while.

Oh, Nintendo's always been kind of an a**hole, and likely always will be. But recently, they've been above this kind of crap, and I was hoping it would stay that way.

Stefan.De.Machtige said:
noname2200 said:

Well this is highly disappointing. I thought they were above that sort of behavior now...=^/

It's just a bit bragging for the stockholders. I'm sure you wil find it in other financial reports.

But there is some truth in their words. Nintendo's Ip's are one of the best franchises in the world. If i owned them, i would boast about them to everyone.

You won't even have to look in financial reports: Sony's and Microsoft's executives have routinely made idiotic statements like these without prompting. And I whole-heartedly agree that Nintendo's IPs are overall the best in the world, which is why I keep buying all their products.

But there's a fine line between bragging about how awesome you are, and indirectly slinging mud at the competition. I feel that they crossed the line this time, and while it's hardly the end of the world (it's more a throwback to the Yamauchi days, if anything), I have to admit that I'm still disappointed that they lowered themselves like this. I was hoping that at least one of the big three would try to take the high road and act like an adult.

P.S. Welcome to the site! I just noticed that you're new.

Euphoria14 said:
the only hardware platform producer with powerful in-house software development teams.

Sorry, I love Nintendo but that is just complete bullshit.

I thought Nintendo was better than this.

Agreed in full.

alfredofroylan said:

Nintendowill strive to expand its business and increase revenue and profit by capitalizing on being the only hardware platform producer with powerful in-house software development teams

Here. This way it sounds better.

I love how people are defending Nintendo for this statement but if Microsoft or Sony were to say this all hell would brake loose. Plain and simple this is Nintendo trash talking like the other 2 do, and after everyone thought they were too high and mighty for it.

If that's the most inflammatory comment we get from Nintendo all year then you'd have to be impressed with their restraint. Plus having worked in a foreign country for 5 years i always dubious about translations, no matter how good someone is, subtlety is often lost in translation. For example the word powerful in that last sentence seems like an odd choice.

noname2200 said:
starcraft said:
They are for the most part.

I disagree. While I certainly favor Nintendo's games over everyone else's (and make no bones about it), it seems absurd for them to claim that Sony and Microsoft don't also have good software teams. I don't even need to get into list warz: any reasonable and objective person can tell you that the other two put out great games too, even if that person favors other software.

Which is great, except we aren't talking about talented developers, we're talking about powerful developers.

With the exceptions I listed above, no other in-house team really has the ability to shift the console wars like some Nintendo ones can.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS