By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo: We're the only console producer with "powerful" software teams

http://kotaku.com/5243654/what-is-nintendos-game-plan

Nintendo offered a look behind the curtain, a peek at how the company operates. In its financial earnings, the Kyoto-based game maker explained is mid-term and long-term strategy.

According to the company, Nintendo will continue to go after "Gaming Population Expansion" by "putting smiles on many people's faces by offering brand new entertainment that anyone can enjoy, regardless of age, gender or gaming experience."

DS-wise, Nintendo is positioning the portable as "a machine that enriches its owner's daily life". What's Nintendo's strategy? "Nintendo's strategy is to accelerate current sales momentum from 'must-have for every family' to 'must-have for everyone.'"

As the DS is supposed to be a "must-have for everyone", the Wii is planned to be "'a machine that puts smiles on surrounding people's face' while encouraging communication among family members in the living room and offering enjoyment of their 'new life with Wii'".

Nintendo says it will continue to offer packaged software and provide content via the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shopping Channel.

Then there's this: "In the challenging and competitive gaming industry, which consistently requires new and innovative products, Nintendowill strive to expand its business and increase revenue and profit by capitalizing on being the only hardware platform producer with powerful in-house software development teams."

Well this is highly disappointing. I thought they were above that sort of behavior now...=^/

Around the Network

They are for the most part.

Lets face it. What serious platform shifting in-house games do Microsoft and Sony have? GT from Polyphony and until recently Halo from Bungie.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

noname2200 said:

http://kotaku.com/5243654/what-is-nintendos-game-plan

Nintendo offered a look behind the curtain, a peek at how the company operates. In its financial earnings, the Kyoto-based game maker explained is mid-term and long-term strategy.

According to the company, Nintendo will continue to go after "Gaming Population Expansion" by "putting smiles on many people's faces by offering brand new entertainment that anyone can enjoy, regardless of age, gender or gaming experience."

DS-wise, Nintendo is positioning the portable as "a machine that enriches its owner's daily life". What's Nintendo's strategy? "Nintendo's strategy is to accelerate current sales momentum from 'must-have for every family' to 'must-have for everyone.'"

As the DS is supposed to be a "must-have for everyone", the Wii is planned to be "'a machine that puts smiles on surrounding people's face' while encouraging communication among family members in the living room and offering enjoyment of their 'new life with Wii'".

Nintendo says it will continue to offer packaged software and provide content via the Nintendo DSi Shop and the Wii Shopping Channel.

Then there's this: "In the challenging and competitive gaming industry, which consistently requires new and innovative products, Nintendowill strive to expand its business and increase revenue and profit by capitalizing on being the only hardware platform producer with powerful in-house software development teams."

Well this is highly disappointing. I thought they were above that sort of behavior now...=^/

Above putting out good games?  (At least thats what I took from it)

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

noname2200 said:

It's their financial report. What were you expecting?: "Dear shareholders our games are bad"

starcraft said:

Lets face it. What serious platform shifting in-house games do Microsoft and Sony have? GT from Polyphony and until recently Halo from Bungie.

They arent the only company to make 1st party games

mM
Around the Network
starcraft said:

I disagree. While I certainly favor Nintendo's games over everyone else's (and make no bones about it), it seems absurd for them to claim that Sony and Microsoft don't also have good software teams. I don't even need to get into list warz: any reasonable and objective person can tell you that the other two put out great games too, even if that person favors other software.

alfredofroylan said:

It's their financial report. What were you expecting?: "Dear shareholders our games are bad"

I expect a bit of class, rather than juvenile trash-talking. And that isn't what the quote was saying: rather than pointing out that Nintendo has kick-a** software teams (an indisputable position) it's going a step further and implying that neither Sony nor Microsoft have good first-party developers (an indefensible position).

WTF? Than how come Wii have smallest number of games with Metacitic score above 80%? Also they have the same old IPs they had 15 years ago. Maybe 2 new

the only hardware platform producer with powerful in-house software development teams.

Sorry, I love Nintendo but that is just complete bullshit.

I thought Nintendo was better than this.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

This is quite debatable. While Nintendo games sell well they are arguably at the back of the pack in terms of elevating video game software to an accepted art form. Sony and their partners such as Team ICo and That Game Company have been running circles around Nintendo in not just focusing on fun but on trying to create mind expanding experiences that legitimize video games as artform and not just toys.

noname.. everyone, including Nintendo, is an asshole every once in a while.