By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS3 Will Dominate (In 3~5 Years)

I'm not sure what you expect the gaming landscape to be when the next gen comes out, but this is what I see: (let me know what you think)

As has been said many times this generation is different. Even with a clearly dominant console, all three are doing well and receiving support. There is no terrible component deal or languishing sales to make anyone take Jr off the market when Sr comes to play. So we may have:

$100 Xbox 360
$120 PS3
$120 Wii

"Current Gen" (learning lessons)
$300 - 400 Xbox 720
$300 - 400 PS4
$250 - 300 Wii2

So, who is going to buy PS3s in droves?
- People not in this generation yet? After being beat over the head with every price cut possible, the only people left will be ultra casual... and they will most likely buy a Wii.
- Current Wii owners? The hardcore will be lining up for miles to get the Wii2, the moderates and casuals will wait.
- Current 360 owners? Same as the Wii, with fewer waiting because of HaloX

Also, what will the software landscape be?
Big budget games will be reserved for the current generation. There will still be considerable past gen support, but devs will have no reason to not go multiplatform because they are no longer trying to please the hardcore.

"You can never jump away from Conclusions. Getting back is not so easy. That's why we're so terribly crowded here."

Canby - The Phantom Tollbooth

Around the Network
forevercloud3000 said:
why do people give Sony so much grief when they are simply doing what they do best.

What will it matter if the other two consoles drop out with their newer models in 3-5 years? It only means that the PS3 can survive this gen as well as going into next gen. At the moment the PS3 is the most powerful gaming console to date. By the time the next Wii and xbox come out they will have more comparable, if not better hardware. This will put the PS3 at a technological disadvantage but a userbase advantage over the competition. Does this not sound familiar to any of you? PS2 vs Gamecube and XBOX much? THe PS3 will have a lower price tag then both next gen consoles and still be comparable, enough for people to start picking it up like the PS2 or Wii.

Sounds like the perfect plan to me. Create a system that can survive two console gens by making it BEFORE it's time. This will assure their 10 year plan as well as keep them profitable.

Except the next generation consoles will use that very userbase to help justify game development as pretty much any next gen game would likely also play on the PS3/Xbox 360 as well.

Tease.

Forget that. If they drop the price (even by $50) the Ps3 will begin to dominate right away.

The Ps2 had over 100million owners, and I'm sure a lot of them were thinking "I'll wait until a price drop and some good games come out until I buy the Ps3". Well, now that the games are coming out, people are just waiting for the price drop. Even something as small as $50 is enough to get people to crack.

"I don't have time to play video games anymore, but if I did, I would definitely choose the PlayStation 3 instead of the 360" - President Barack Obama

infamous8 said:
Forget that. If they drop the price (even by $50) the Ps3 will begin to dominate right away.

The Ps2 had over 100million owners, and I'm sure a lot of them were thinking "I'll wait until a price drop and some good games come out until I buy the Ps3". Well, now that the games are coming out, people are just waiting for the price drop. Even something as small as $50 is enough to get people to crack.

Dominate what exactly? The PS3 when it was $400?

Tease.

and ps4 will dominate the market from 2020 to 2030 XD

jugando ahora: Super Street fighter 4, ninokuni "ds"
playing now: NINOKUNI, Super Street fighter 4, kof 13
waiting for: 3ds to play street fighter 4 and zelda

Around the Network

Guys and Girls don't forget that Microsoft has made it painfully clear that the X360 will be on the market for as long as the PS3 plus one day!! I'm sure many of you have heard of this, yet you say the war will be over in 2014!! Even if 720 launches, 360 will still be present to compete with Sony's PS3.

Ultibankai said:
Guys and Girls don't forget that Microsoft has made it painfully clear that the X360 will be on the market for as long as the PS3 plus one day!! I'm sure many of you have heard of this, yet you say the war will be over in 2014!! Even if 720 launches, 360 will still be present to compete with Sony's PS3.

Yup. It's up to the consumers though to determine which product lasts on the market longer.   Given what we have seen with a PS3 with a more competitive price.  I (and most) would be inclined to say that a competitively priced PS3 will outsell the 360 week to week.

Microsoft (As we've seen in the past) or any other company won't be forcing a product nobody wants down people's throats.

chriscox1121 said:
Sony lost the Chest match before it ever began. The infamous 600 dollar price tag ruined them from the get go.

Dang - I love chest matches. One breast fighting the other. Yes, sir!

OT: It has been stated over and over. The PS3 will make money eventually, but has squandered the profits that the PS1 and PS2 earned. Where are they going to get the money to develop the PS4? If the machine endures that long, what real incentives will prospective buyers have? It's not like how MS is still - I repeat - still making copies of Halo and Halo 2 - or just unloading them as needed. What folks only here will be content buying old technology, when it's obvious Blu Ray will be much cheaper? Why buy an Xbox now? I'd rebuy one just to play a few games. And it's not cheap enough for me to do it, just to play a few games.

The words are out of Sony's mouth. It really just boils down to denial - to believing something if you say it long enough. Sony can win this gen, but what joy will they have when Ninny and MS has rolled out their newer, faster machines - with sick games - and Sony is sputtering to the finish?

Sony, give it up.

forevercloud3000 said:
why do people give Sony so much grief when they are simply doing what they do best.

What will it matter if the other two consoles drop out with their newer models in 3-5 years? It only means that the PS3 can survive this gen as well as going into next gen. At the moment the PS3 is the most powerful gaming console to date. By the time the next Wii and xbox come out they will have more comparable, if not better hardware. This will put the PS3 at a technological disadvantage but a userbase advantage over the competition. Does this not sound familiar to any of you? PS2 vs Gamecube and XBOX much? THe PS3 will have a lower price tag then both next gen consoles and still be comparable, enough for people to start picking it up like the PS2 or Wii.

Sounds like the perfect plan to me. Create a system that can survive two console gens by making it BEFORE it's time. This will assure their 10 year plan as well as keep them profitable.

Is this post serious? PS3 even if it's more powerful than the 360 it's barely nothing. You will see at E3 this year what the 360 is capable of. One of the following games will win Graphics of 2009. Alan Wake, Forza 3, Splinter Cell Conviction or Ninety nine nights 2. ( All these now confirmed for 2009 )

The PS3 is not ready to cross 2 generations. LOL. PC's right now are already 3-4 times more powerful for games than PS3. The next Xbox is likely to be being made now. Generally when they first come out they are on par with PC or a year ahead.

So by 2012 that would probably make Xbox 3 about 8-9 times more powerful than PS3. About the same that PS3 and 360 are over Xbox 1.

If anything the way sales show, Wii and 360 will last longer than PS3 in terms of years selling.

It has been explained countless times that the PS3 isn't really "more powerful", while it has a super cpu, it is crippled by memory, fill rates, and blu-ray disc reading speed. But let people believe what they will *rolleyes*