By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PS3 Will Dominate (In 3~5 Years)

@Mirson

Lulz

Around the Network

against 360 likely but wii no way

Rpruett said:
nightsurge said:
@Rpruett
So basically there is no "generations," because you gave like 4 different reasons why/how they advance and still then basically made the claim that they don't really exist.

I guess what Sony is saying then means nothing, as they shall win nothing and dominate in something that doesn't exist.

Nope. I clearly stated what I believe a new generation is defined as : 

I would say the last generation is over when all of the players for the following generation (Lets just say : Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft)  have ALL released new consoles.

Reason #1:

Eventually the PS3/360/Wii won't be nearly as popular as they are now and will eventually dwindle down to lower amounts of sales.  The primary reason these companies release new consoles and new systems is for this reason.

Reason #2:

only the people in the stands can determine based upon their support of each racer.   If you the people in the stands stop supporting a specific racer,  that doesn't mean the race ends that just means, that specific racer is no longer apart of the race.

You don't get to start a new generation whenever you want. The market determines this.

Reason #3 and where you state that "generations" only exist for comparisons and don't really matter:

Generations are not some definitive thing here.  The only reason we have them is to make comparisons easier for us. The only reason a generation 'Ends' is because of the consumers on the market.  They ultimately tell the producers when it's time for a new generation.

And all that after your original belief of which you quoted for me above.

So basically the generation can end based on the market, the consumers, lack of popularity/dated hardware, and the corporations behind the consoles making a new one, but you yourself only believe one changes when all the next consoles have been released.

At the same time, generations are not a definitive thing and we only use them to make comparisons easier, thus "generations" don't really stand for anything and have any amount of vague terms, so Sony wins nothing and dominates nothing.

I actually sort of like the idea of making a console span longer. If Sony has the PS3 out for 10 years or 2 classic generations of time(apx). It will have some excellent games since devs will have had 10 active focused years.

In the end though Sony and the PS3 are trying the perfect forumula of old console design. It however will be and is being disrupted by a new model. The PS3 will not be the dominant console for the generation. It will be the Wii Family. That's right I used the word Family. Nintendo has out right stated they are moving to a new business formula. The Wii is the console DS. What formula are we seeing with the DS? DS Phat, rudimentary, but it got out their and penetrated the market. DS Lite streamlined and what should have been released. DSi the distant market, but also upgrades the features. It's not a new system, but it enhances it.

The Wii family will maintain market dominance because their will be enhanced Wii. So as the new features extend to the distant market and sell to some of the current market the Wii and Wii Enhanced will be clearly the dominant machine. I both like and dislike this model. It will be nice that all games are compatible and developers won't be abandoning ship once Wii+ comes out. But for us a bit more techi it's going to cost us more since we will be buying more Wiis. Then again how many PS core fans bought PS2? I now some who have bought as many as 4. Though most I know bought 2. So it's not unreasonable that Wii owners like PS2 owners will be buying the system more than once.

This is probably a safer and more cost efficient model of development. It allows an ease of technology and development rather than gambling on features.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

nightsurge said:

So basically the generation can end based on the market, the consumers,lack of popularity/dated hardware, and the corporations behind the consoles making a new one, but you yourself only believe one changes when all the next consoles have been released.

The market is the consumers.  The reason these companies MAKE new consoles is because the market (consumers) aren't there. Popularity directly ties into the market and consumers interests and dated hardware is a big reason why these consoles lose popularity.   None of these are defined for counting when a generation ends or begins.  

They all play a factor in why a company stops making a console, which factors into why a company makes a new console. When all companies make that new console the generation ends. 

At the same time, generations are not a definitive thing and we only use them to make comparisons easier, thus "generations" don't really stand for anything and have any amount of vague terms, so Sony wins nothing and dominates nothing.

Generations aren't some definitive, set, framed thing. They are only tried to be made so by (people like us) who are discussing things pertaining to them. If I had to pin down what factors decide when a new generation begins?  When all companies who plan on making a console have made a console. 

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
nightsurge said:

So basically the generation can end based on the market, the consumers,lack of popularity/dated hardware, and the corporations behind the consoles making a new one, but you yourself only believe one changes when all the next consoles have been released.

The market is the consumers.  The reason these companies MAKE new consoles is because the market (consumers) aren't there. Popularity directly ties into the market and consumers interests and dated hardware is a big reason why these consoles lose popularity.   None of these are defined for counting when a generation ends or begins.  

They all play a factor in why a company stops making a console, which factors into why a company makes a new console. When all companies make that new console the generation ends. 

Generations aren't some definitive, set, framed thing. They are only tried to be made so by (people like us) who are discussing things pertaining to them. If I had to pin down what factors decide when a new generation begins?  When all companies who plan on making a console have made a console. 

Oh so this generation hasn't even fully started yet since OnLive isn't out yet and neither is that other Zeebo or whatever it was called.

So we are still in the PS2 generation then.

Too many vague terms.  From now on I will just consider a generation useless and just consider sales from the beginning of the first console in that gen to arrive, and end at the first "next gen" console to arrive.  Makes it a lot easier than to have all these other random terms.

nightsurge said:
Rpruett said:

Oh so this generation hasn't even fully started yet since OnLive isn't out yet and neither is that other Zeebo or whatever it was called.

So we are still in the PS2 generation then.

Too many vague terms.  From now on I will just consider a generation useless and just consider sales from the beginning of the first console in that gen to arrive, and end at the first "next gen" console to arrive.  Makes it a lot easier than to have all these other random terms.

You can make it more difficult if you want to suit your point. Lol.  That's fine by me.   We all in reality know that currently there are only three companies vying for the Video game pie. And when did Zeebo/OnLive set to release?  If they released today they would fall in the PS3/360/Wii generation. 

Random terms?  What random terms?  

I've said it simply.  A generation ends/begins when all the competitors within that market (In this example, Sony Nintendo, Microsoft) all make their next consoles. 

Regardless,  this is a pointless debate.   No one is right or wrong.  

In my point of view,   each company has their own view of a generation.  The next generation can't start for Sony until they have released their next console.  Same goes for Nintendo/Microsoft and whomever else.   The problem is,  we are trying to objectively look at when we should start a generation.  The only logical choice is when all people have joined the generation.

HAHA LMFAO in 3-5 years the next gen will be out and the PS3 will be like the PS2 (at best).

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

n1337 Gamer said:
HAHA LMFAO in 3-5 years the next gen will be out and the PS3 will be like the PS2 (at best).

Yeah I am thinking the samething. PS3 will be like the PS2 and the new PS4 will be like a PS3 now.

jesus kung fu magic said:
forevercloud3000 said:
Carl2291 said:
forevercloud3000 said:
why do people give Sony so much grief when they are simply doing what they do best.

What will it matter if the other two consoles drop out with their newer models in 3-5 years? It only means that the PS3 can survive this gen as well as going into next gen. At the moment the PS3 is the most powerful gaming console to date. By the time the next Wii and xbox come out they will have more comparable, if not better hardware. This will put the PS3 at a technological disadvantage but a userbase advantage over the competition. Does this not sound familiar to any of you? PS2 vs Gamecube and XBOX much? THe PS3 will have a lower price tag then both next gen consoles and still be comparable, enough for people to start picking it up like the PS2 or Wii.

Sounds like the perfect plan to me. Create a system that can survive two console gens by making it BEFORE it's time. This will assure their 10 year plan as well as keep them profitable.

Great post. I agree 100%

Thx! At least one other person has some rationality in this thread. ^_^

And I also believe that when the next gen consoles release in the next few years the PS3 might still have a very strong edge on them. If you remember, Sony has sealed off one of the cell processors in the system, that no one knows what it is even for. I am thinking this is a fail safe, to assure their system is not TOO FAR behind the next set. The current gen console makers can barely handle the amount of cells they have access too. They must of thought it best to wait it out to unleash that one.

BluRay and the Cell will keep Playstation ahead.

This was by far the saddest sequence of posts the J mans ever laid his eyes on.

Seconded that was quite pathetic

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!