By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Same point in time: PS3 3.5 million sales ahead of X360

well i figured that and its not very surprising but i want the sales of the present to be good not the past

Around the Network

If PS3 was outselling 360 all along, and would be ahead now if they launched the same day because of a 3.5m difference.... how is 360 ahead by 8.2m?

If they launched same day, wouldn't the math indicate that PS3 would "only" be losing by around 5m?

Maybe I'm too drunk to understand fanboyism right now...

Believing in the PLAYSTATION®3......IS.......S_A_C_R_I_L_E_G_E

Argument has little merit.

You need to take into account that in 2006 the 360 was being sold with a huge shadow overhead. The followup to the most successful console ever created was coming. This caused many consumers to hold off on any purchase of the 360. Sony even boasted that Next Gen doesnt start until they said so. Gaming publications asked the question "Is the Xbox 360 the next Dreamcast?". All kinds of things like that held down the initial year of sales.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Denial of responsibility: This form of denial involves avoiding personal responsibility by blaming, minimizing or justifying. Blaming is a direct statement shifting culpability and may overlap with denial of fact. Minimizing is an attempt to make the effects or results of an action appear to be less harmful than they may actually be. Justifying is when someone takes a choice and attempts to make that choice look okay due to their perception of what is "right" in a situation. Someone using denial of responsibility is usually attempting to avoid potential harm or pain by shifting attention away from themselves.

360 came out first just like PS2 came out first, sales are sales, so stop making dumb threads like this.

PREDICTIONS:
(Predicted on 5/31/11) END of 2011 Sales - Xbox 360 = 62M;  PS3 = 59M;  Wii = 97M

Around the Network

I am loving this thread. It really should be named the "PS3 fan consolation prize thread".

Here is an idea.

If you align Wii launch with PS2, it is clearly outselling PS2. The only reason P2 is winning now is because it has a 6 year head start. Also, PS2 already had its first price cut within the first 2.5 years of launch while Wii does not yet to have any price cut. So Wii is actually the best selling console although there is a 76 millions gap between PS2 and Wii.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

saicho said:

Here is an idea.

If you align Wii launch with PS2, it is clearly outselling PS2. The only reason P2 is winning now is because it has a 6 year head start. Also, PS2 already had its first price cut within the first 2.5 years of launch while Wii does not yet to have any price cut. So Wii is actually the best selling console although there is a 76 millions gap between PS2 and Wii.

Wii dosent count!

Seriously, it does not matter to me if the ps is doing better than the xbox in the future, because I have both consoles and I love them both the same

saicho said:

Here is an idea.

That's not what people are saying though.

First of all you are comparing two different generations (But whatever). 

Secondly,  People ARE saying that the PS3 is doing fine in comparison to the Xbox 360 and in reality is seeing stronger sales at identical points in it's lifespan.  This isn't crazy or irrelevant in any way, shape or form.  This is reality.   This is especially good news for the PS3 when you factor in it's extremely high price compared to the competition.  As the price lowers,  you should see an even greater percentage of people opt for the PS3 over the 360.  Now this certainly doesn't guarantee the PS3 will 'win this gen'  over the the 360, it certainly bodes well for the PS3 assuming that the market in fact views it as the better, longer lasting product.

The Wii is certainly tracking better than the PS2 which is why MANY people (Especially Nintendo folks, think so highly of it).  Can it keep it up?  Who knows, but as long as it remains tracking higher than the PS2 it will eventually be the biggest selling console of all time and bump the PS2 from that throne.