By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Same point in time: PS3 3.5 million sales ahead of X360

Very valid argument here. Those disagreeing with this reasonable argument are haters. PS3 and XBox 360 aligned from their launches 2.5 years results in PS3 having a 3.5 million lead over XBox 360.

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:
Very valid argument here. Those disagreeing with this reasonable argument are haters. PS3 and XBox 360 aligned from their launches 2.5 years results in PS3 having a 3.5 million lead over XBox 360.

Oh give it up.  We get it, you like the PS3, but aligning the launches does nothing to change the fact that the PS3 is behind in sales by over 8 million.

In fact, since people want to count the 360's head start where it pleases their goals, I bet that if the 360 hadn't launched early, and launched side-by-side with the PS3, it would have destroyed the PS3 even more!  A year later would have meant better hardware, cheaper price, and more games at launch.  All 3 would be combinations that would catipult it even farther ahead than it is now.

There are reasons the 360's first year had so few sales, it was the only console, and contrary to what many fanboys think, this hurts sales because people don't want to make a purchase until they have seen all the options.  That's why after the PS3 launched, the 360 has outsold it each year.

i don't get this place. with all the numbers at people's fingertips, they still choose to post like post-lobotomy patients.

overall sales numbers are the only way to assess the war? really? does this kind of mindlessness fly elsewhere in life?

the 360 had a 6 million unit head start, and that lead was being cut handily before the last price cut late in 08. the ps3 is selling faster than the 360 was, despite the fact that it has a higher price tag.

the last refuge of the xbox is in the illusion of sales. the halo orange is practically juiced out, and they lack the quality franchises to carry the momentum against a competitively priced ps3.

every way that the ps3 was called a failure has been shown to be not the case. i honestly don't understand the preternatural proclivity to portray the playstation as a pariah (extra points for alliteration). perhaps if the roles were reversed sony fans would act with the same childishness. oh wait, they were reversed last generation. i know i didn't even pay that much mind to the xbox, save for thinking i wanted to play halo (until i did).

so any other sony fans want to confess to videobigotry and prejudice in the previous gen?

art is the excrement of culture

Boring!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Oyvoyvoyv said:

The Ps3 isn't competing with the X360 of 2008, it's competing with the X360 of 2009.

yeah but it wont be long before the xbox 360 is left to wither in third place..

trust me ps3 wont be left in third place this gen..

and it certainly wont be the wii in third place.

hello how are you.

Around the Network
Rpruett said:
saicho said:

Here is an idea.

If you align Wii launch with PS2, it is clearly outselling PS2. The only reason P2 is winning now is because it has a 6 year head start. Also, PS2 already had its first price cut within the first 2.5 years of launch while Wii does not yet to have any price cut. So Wii is actually the best selling console although there is a 76 millions gap between PS2 and Wii.

That's not what people are saying though.

First of all you are comparing two different generations (But whatever). 

Secondly,  People ARE saying that the PS3 is doing fine in comparison to the Xbox 360 and in reality is seeing stronger sales at identical points in it's lifespan.  This isn't crazy or irrelevant in any way, shape or form.  This is reality.   This is especially good news for the PS3 when you factor in it's extremely high price compared to the competition.  As the price lowers,  you should see an even greater percentage of people opt for the PS3 over the 360.  Now this certainly doesn't guarantee the PS3 will 'win this gen'  over the the 360, it certainly bodes well for the PS3 assuming that the market in fact views it as the better, longer lasting product.

The Wii is certainly tracking better than the PS2 which is why MANY people (Especially Nintendo folks, think so highly of it).  Can it keep it up?  Who knows, but as long as it remains tracking higher than the PS2 it will eventually be the biggest selling console of all time and bump the PS2 from that throne.

first of all, when we talk about console war in the forum on this site, a lot of people keep claiming Wii doesn't count since it's not HD. So I was just aligning it with the non-HD console.

secondly, I'm not denying that PS3 is seeing stronger sales than 360 at the identical point in its console cycle. However, OP is claiming that PS3 will sell more than 360 in the end like it's a fact and spin about the price cut. I'm just applying the same logic to the Wii statement. At least I did not put any spin on the price cut part.

Lastly, if you think Nintendo folks think so highly of the sale number for Wii, I can also say that Sony folks think so highly of the sale number for PS3. When PS3 sells decently(>25% WW or highest sale in Japan in a week), it's considered selling well. When PS3 is the only console dropping YOY or <20% WW in a week, it's considered selling well based on the high price point. So basically PS3 has never sold poorly since it launched and yet it has the smallest market share. I don't see why Nintendo folks wouldn't think so highly of the sale number for Wii since it's actually selling well by having close to 50% market share.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Paperdiego said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

The Ps3 isn't competing with the X360 of 2008, it's competing with the X360 of 2009.

wow... just wow

nightsurge said:
PS3beats360 said:

Oh give it up.  We get it, you like the PS3, but aligning the launches does nothing to change the fact that the PS3 is behind in sales by over 8 million.

In fact, since people want to count the 360's head start where it pleases their goals, I bet that if the 360 hadn't launched early, and launched side-by-side with the PS3, it would have destroyed the PS3 even more!  A year later would have meant better hardware, cheaper price, and more games at launch.  All 3 would be combinations that would catipult it even farther ahead than it is now.

There are reasons the 360's first year had so few sales, it was the only console, and contrary to what many fanboys think, this hurts sales because people don't want to make a purchase until they have seen all the options.  That's why after the PS3 launched, the 360 has outsold it each year.

I get that you like the 360, but looking only at absolute sales does nothing to change the fact that PS3 is selling faster than 360 and at a much higher price.  And in Japan and EU, 360 is already so cheap that it's hard to imagine any subsequent price cuts helping it very much.  It's already seen as, well, cheap.  PS3, on the other hand...

No one is denying the absolute lead in sales that 360 has.  But it's fucking hilarious to watch some of you fight tooth and nail to deny any positive outlook for PS3.  It's true that Sony stumbled and got bloodied a bit early this gen, given how absolutely dominant PS1 and PS2 were, but nonetheless PS3 is selling faster than the 360 did over the same period.  Microsoft couldn't sell 360's like Sony has sold PS3's since release, in other words.  Microsoft certainly couldn't and never will match something like the PS2 success, which was Sony's success.  Sony's performance this gen has resulted in sales that are faster than 360's.  But we all know that's a step down from what they could have accomplished.

If MS thought they could have done better with a later launch, they would've launched later.  But they knew they would have gotten steamrolled.  360's earlier launched helped sustain the better multiplats for 360 earlier on, because devs got a headstart working with the 360 hardware.  360 sales weren't higher during the first year mostly because of 360's price.  And PS3 still has yet to drop below $399.

weaveworld said:
Paperdiego said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:

wow... just wow

you think wii will be in third place??

hello how are you.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
nightsurge said:
PS3beats360 said:

I get that you like the 360, but looking only at absolute sales does nothing to change the fact that PS3 is selling faster than 360 and at a much higher price.  And in Japan and EU, 360 is already so cheap that it's hard to imagine any subsequent price cuts helping it very much.  It's already seen as, well, cheap.  PS3, on the other hand...

No one is denying the absolute lead in sales that 360 has.  But it's fucking hilarious to watch some of you fight tooth and nail to deny any positive outlook for PS3.  It's true that Sony stumbled and got bloodied a bit early this gen, given how absolutely dominant PS1 and PS2 were, but nonetheless PS3 is selling faster than the 360 did over the same period.  Microsoft couldn't sell 360's like Sony has sold PS3's since release, in other words.  Microsoft certainly couldn't and never will match something like the PS2 success, which was Sony's success.  Sony's performance this gen has resulted in sales that are faster than 360's.  But we all know that's a step down from what they could have accomplished.

If MS thought they could have done better with a later launch, they would've launched later.  But they knew they would have gotten steamrolled.  360's earlier launched helped sustain the better multiplats for 360 earlier on, because devs got a headstart working with the 360 hardware.  360 sales weren't higher during the first year mostly because of 360's price.  And PS3 still has yet to drop below $399.

Couldn't of said it better myself.