By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Same point in time: PS3 3.5 million sales ahead of X360

Nice find

Around the Network
PS3beats360 said:
Very valid argument here. Those disagreeing with this reasonable argument are haters. PS3 and XBox 360 aligned from their launches 2.5 years results in PS3 having a 3.5 million lead over XBox 360.

No one is denying that actually.  People are just saying it really doesn't matter.  And they're right.

alrite, so my question is, what happens if the ps3 does pass the 360? is anything different or is it all pretty indistinguishable from the way things are now? to me, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal who is ahead of who as long as everything sells well. the ps3 was supposed to be in the lead anyway a long time ago but hasn't, yet it still isn't doing bad. as long as i can still play the games i want on the console i want, i would be fine with ps3 in the lead even though i own a 360.

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
nightsurge said:
PS3beats360 said:
Very valid argument here. Those disagreeing with this reasonable argument are haters. PS3 and XBox 360 aligned from their launches 2.5 years results in PS3 having a 3.5 million lead over XBox 360.

Oh give it up.  We get it, you like the PS3, but aligning the launches does nothing to change the fact that the PS3 is behind in sales by over 8 million.

In fact, since people want to count the 360's head start where it pleases their goals, I bet that if the 360 hadn't launched early, and launched side-by-side with the PS3, it would have destroyed the PS3 even more!  A year later would have meant better hardware, cheaper price, and more games at launch.  All 3 would be combinations that would catipult it even farther ahead than it is now.

There are reasons the 360's first year had so few sales, it was the only console, and contrary to what many fanboys think, this hurts sales because people don't want to make a purchase until they have seen all the options.  That's why after the PS3 launched, the 360 has outsold it each year.

I get that you like the 360, but looking only at absolute sales does nothing to change the fact that PS3 is selling faster than 360 and at a much higher price.  And in Japan and EU, 360 is already so cheap that it's hard to imagine any subsequent price cuts helping it very much.  It's already seen as, well, cheap.  PS3, on the other hand...

No one is denying the absolute lead in sales that 360 has.  But it's fucking hilarious to watch some of you fight tooth and nail to deny any positive outlook for PS3.  It's true that Sony stumbled and got bloodied a bit early this gen, given how absolutely dominant PS1 and PS2 were, but nonetheless PS3 is selling faster than the 360 did over the same period.  Microsoft couldn't sell 360's like Sony has sold PS3's since release, in other words.  Microsoft certainly couldn't and never will match something like the PS2 success, which was Sony's success.  Sony's performance this gen has resulted in sales that are faster than 360's.  But we all know that's a step down from what they could have accomplished.

If MS thought they could have done better with a later launch, they would've launched later.  But they knew they would have gotten steamrolled.  360's earlier launched helped sustain the better multiplats for 360 earlier on, because devs got a headstart working with the 360 hardware.  360 sales weren't higher during the first year mostly because of 360's price.  And PS3 still has yet to drop below $399.

How is this a positive outlook for the PS3?  I'm not fighting, just showing how this gives a flawed "sense of well being" for the PS3 which it indeed does not have.

The PS3 is not selling "faster" per say.  It is selling more because the 360's first year is a very flawed year when added to the comparison.  I've already told you why the 360's first year had such low sales.  Being your fanboy self you ignored my logic and simply think of the headstart as only a positive for MS, when in fact it could also be considered a negative.  As I said earlier, if the 360 had launched side by side with the PS3, the "aligned" launch would show the 360 MUCH higher.  It would have launched with better hardware, cheaper price, more games, and in a direct comparison with the $500/600 console, it would have absolutely steamrolled the PS3.  The only reason it basically didn't do this anyway was because of the awful failure rate brought on by RROD and the early launch.  It is actually quite remarkable that the 360 is still selling so well after all the bad rep it took the first 3 years.

Oh, and the Pro 60GB console is the dominantly selling 360 out of the sku's as quoted by Aaron Greenberg.

Lol, Rpruett agrees with you... and he would because he has just as flawed of an outlook on the situation as the majority of you PS3 fanboys.

So take consolation or whatever you can get out of "feeling" like you've sold more, but the 360's fourth year is showing YoY growth, and the PS3's third year is showing YoY decline.  So even if it may have had a larger start from "aligned" launches, it will likely have a much worse end.

nightsurge said:

The PS3 is not selling "faster" per say.  It is selling more because the 360's first year is a very flawed year when added to the comparison.  I've already told you why the 360's first year had such low sales.  Being your fanboy self you ignored my logic and simply think of the headstart as only a positive for MS, when in fact it could also be considered a negative.

So launching early could be considered a negative and a positive?   Who cares?  It is what it is.  They released a year early and grabbed some early adopters of the system. 

As I said earlier, if the 360 had launched side by side with the PS3, the "aligned" launch would show the 360 MUCH higher.  It would have launched with better hardware, cheaper price, more games, and in a direct comparison with the $500/600 console, it would have absolutely steamrolled the PS3.  The only reason it basically didn't do this anyway was because of the awful failure rate brought on by RROD and the early launch.  It is actually quite remarkable that the 360 is still selling so well after all the bad rep it took the first 3 years.

Any bad 'rep' that the 360 took...The PS3 took 2x as much for it's high price and list of mis-steps along the way.   There is no way to determine if the PS3/360  launched at the same time that the 360 would have steam rolled anything. 

If the 360 released at the same time as the PS3....The RROD failure would have been a MUCH bigger deal.  Being on the market a year early helped early adopters make the jump to Microsoft and get some positive impressions of the console prior to the launch of the PS3.

Oh, and the Pro 60GB console is the dominantly selling 360 out of the sku's as quoted by Aaron Greenberg.

Lol, Rpruett agrees with you... and he would because he has just as flawed of an outlook on the situation as the majority of you PS3 fanboys.

Lol.  You know what's funny?  The person who throws out the 'fanboy' card about 10x in a single response?  Is usually "THE" fanboy.  Keep up the diversion techniques friend.  We all see right through it. 

So take consolation or whatever you can get out of "feeling" like you've sold more, but the 360's fourth year is showing YoY growth, and the PS3's third year is showing YoY decline.  So even if it may have had a larger start from "aligned" launches, it will likely have a much worse end.

Well assuming similar hardware price reductions and expected boosts in sales relative to the price reductions of the hardware the PS3 will clearly continue to outsell the 360.  The only real questions that need to be asked is :

- Can Sony keep up with the price reductions necessary? To keep fueling sales into the future?  I would imagine they can handle it just fine.

- Can the PS3 outlast the 360 in the minds of consumers?  If the answer is yes?  The PS3 almost assuredly will outsell the 360 Lifetime.  If the answer is no?  The 360 will almost assuredly outsell the PS3 lifetime. 

But hey calling other people fanboys.....While you claim the 360 "Would have steam-rolled the PS3 if launched at the same time"  while the PS3 sits at higher sales in identical time frames on the market? Is so...L-a-u-g-h-a-b-l-e.

Around the Network

^It is laughable. I based my wording off of the PS3 fanboy that you so lovingly quoted and agreed with.

So I guess you are of mixed mindset? You agree with PS3 fanboy's usage of the words, but if I mimic him it is not ok? Rpruett, you sad, sad fellow.

So launching early could be considered a negative and a positive?   Who cares?  It is what it is.  They released a year early and grabbed some early adopters of the system.

Apparently all these PS3 fanboys care because they base this early launch in their "aligned" launch figures.  Pretty laughable, really.  They'll do anything to try and make it look like the PS3 is doing better than it is.   I guess they don't realize that the 360 is likely to continue outselling the PS3 year after year until the next generation, so the whole "aligned" launch tactic means nothing since they will never catch up sales-wise.

Sony:  "Oh we sold 3.5 million more over 5 years than Microsoft did!"
MS:  "But you still ended up selling 8 million less by the end of the generation thanks to our 6th year!  SUCKERS! YOU LOSE!"

If the 360 released at the same time as the PS3....The RROD failure would have been a MUCH bigger deal.  Being on the market a year early helped early adopters make the jump to Microsoft and get some positive impressions of the console prior to the launch of the PS3.

Under the assumtion that an extra year's development time would have easily given MS plenty of time to add some better cooling into the 360 and add bumpers to the DVD drive, I would bet that the 360's RRoD would be non existant and the 360 would have sold even more.  I don't think a "high price" really compares to "high failure rate" when it comes to rep.  I have a feeling the 360 lost a lot more potential sales this way because people could just save for a few more weeks and get the PS3 anyway and avoid a failing console hassle.

kowenicki said:
Lets face it... as the PS3 passing the 360 in normal circumstances becomes less and less likely, the sony fanboys here resort to spurious methods of justification.

It is as simple as that really.

Hmm, spurious was more last year though... This year is more batshit insanity applied by a select few.

Tease.

Pathetic

Hey, stop being so negative ya Tool.

Tease.

Well... I don't really see a point on this. I mean, how pathetic is that someone has to create a thread like this???? Are really ps3 fans that desperate???? Do sells really matter that MUCH?????