By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 has a chance to outsell the Xbox 360 in 2009?

I highly doubt that the PS3 will have $100 price cut. Do you know how much technology Sony would have to take out of the PS3 to do that? I'm sorry, but at best you can hope for a $50 drop.

Around the Network

I think PS3 has a good chance yes, but still it is hard to be achieved. MS is not gonna sit still watching sony grab all the money.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Soundwave said:

The only reason Wii sales have slowed in Japan is because Nintendo has released absolutely nothing for the system in the first six months of the year aside from the niche Another Code 2. 

And Sony can still barely outsell Nintendo there with RE5 + Street Fighter IV + Yakuza 3 + FF13 Demo Bundle. 

To me that doesn't really say a lot about the PS3 ... it's sort of like saying "yeah ... I could beat you up in a fight ... if you were asleep". lol 

You aint been here long have you?

PS3 just did 4x the Wii numbers this week...

S.T.A.G.E. said:
I highly doubt that the PS3 will have $100 price cut. Do you know how much technology Sony would have to take out of the PS3 to do that? I'm sorry, but at best you can hope for a $50 drop.

theres a rumor that it will drop 100euros in EU arounf E3 i belive therell be a 300$ ps3 b4 the year ends  OPEN ME

Play Me

There is always a chance, look at the egg on the faces of the PS3 fanboys last year when they claimed the 360 was dead and the price cut would have no effect. I pesonally doubt we'll see a meaningful PS3 price cut until at least September and then it will be down to Microsoft if they counter or not. Looking at the current PS3 sales I'd leave Japan and the EU alone and put a price cut in effect in America at E3 if they can afford it.

Around the Network

I wouldn't rule out anything but I think it's unlikely that Microsoft isn't going to answer Sony.

slowmo said:
There is always a chance, look at the egg on the faces of the PS3 fanboys last year when they claimed the 360 was dead and the price cut would have no effect. I pesonally doubt we'll see a meaningful PS3 price cut until at least September and then it will be down to Microsoft if they counter or not. Looking at the current PS3 sales I'd leave Japan and the EU alone and put a price cut in effect in America at E3 if they can afford it.

LOL i remember that!!!  I'm surprised some of them aren't dead from the amount of crow they had to consume >_>

Carl2291 said:
Soundwave said:

The only reason Wii sales have slowed in Japan is because Nintendo has released absolutely nothing for the system in the first six months of the year aside from the niche Another Code 2. 

And Sony can still barely outsell Nintendo there with RE5 + Street Fighter IV + Yakuza 3 + FF13 Demo Bundle. 

To me that doesn't really say a lot about the PS3 ... it's sort of like saying "yeah ... I could beat you up in a fight ... if you were asleep". lol 

You aint been here long have you?

PS3 just did 4x the Wii numbers this week...

Because of a one-week spike. Call me when the PS3 can do that regularily because the Wii has outsold the PS3 by a 3x-4x factor routinely. 

And even with that huge 4x surge this week ... guess what ... the PS3 still is basically only tied with the Wii for the year despite having like 4 or 5 big releases versus nothing for the Wii. 

Basically that shows Sony, when they try really hard, can keep pace with the Wii ... when Nintendo is sleepwalking. It's a pretty pathetic situation (for both companies) right now when you really think about it. 

Well...With a $100 US price cut right before the holiday season, and some awesomely hyped up game coming out for the PS3 in the same time period, it might stand a chance of outselling the 360. But with the price where it is, and the fact that the BluRay and HDMI are not as big yet as some of you seem to think (The American consumer hasn't caught up to the Hi def craze yet, and with the economy where it is, that process has slowed even more). Those two features are not console movers and will not be till the majority of gamers have HiDef TVs. This having been said, other than a few fanboys wishing death upon anything not Sony, the PS3 is not the best value for the majority of consumers.

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

Boshaman1992 said:

I think think Sony can do it.

Reasons

1. In 2009 PS3 will have many new Exclusive Games released on it, such as God of War III.

2. Even if Sony gives the PS3 a $50 price cut by the Holiday season, it should sell much faster.

3. More and more people are now realizing the power of the PS3.

4. The PS3 has outsold Wii in Japan for 5 weeks (I believe). If it can do that it can outsell the Xbox 360 in the United States.

5. Microsoft has no announced any BIG games for the 360 in '09.

But what do you guys think, I believe the PS3 can achieve this feat.

You should be beaten, burned to ashes then someone should throw your ashes from a plane