By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 has a chance to outsell the Xbox 360 in 2009?

@goddog

yeah I noticed there were a couple posters who seemed really cool that I haven't seen around the site, and some familiar faces who've not been around as much lately.

Around the Network

just a note from an old thread:

CrazzyMan

vg$ -2,728.77
(08/09/07, 11:18)
i think, ps3 will surpass x360, when ps3 gets 399$ price and FFXIII, MGS4, GT5, Killzone2 are released. =)

i think, many people will buy x360 Falcon premiuim with hdmi, with silent dvd, better cooler and without RROD problem for 299$. Well, i actually will do.

Will do that for lost odyssey, blue dragon(maybe), cry on, infinite undiscovery, eternal sonata, pgr4 and etc.
I think, many people will do that. =)

anyway, winner between ps3 anx x360 will be decided, by who sooner will get a price around 199$-249$."

damn crazzyman wasnt always crazy what made him into the man he is today

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

^

yeah I know I saw that and almost spit out my Kool-Aid. Seriously I never expected something like that out of him. Though Leo-J was still up to no good. He said that Resistance 2 had the potential of being Halo. Damn that thread is so epic I'm still reading through it, I'm on page 21 right now (i do 10 posts per page)

Boshaman1992 said:

I think think Sony can do it.

Reasons

1. In 2009 PS3 will have many new Exclusive Games released on it, such as God of War III.

2. Even if Sony gives the PS3 a $50 price cut by the Holiday season, it should sell much faster.

3. More and more people are now realizing the power of the PS3.

4. The PS3 has outsold Wii in Japan for 5 weeks (I believe). If it can do that it can outsell the Xbox 360 in the United States.

5. Microsoft has no announced any BIG games for the 360 in '09.

But what do you guys think, I believe the PS3 can achieve this feat.

1, 2, & 3 are all ok reasons, although it isn't why sony is behind right now.  Sony's problem isn't that they don't already have good games or the price or that people don't realize the power of the system.  Sony's problem is extremely poor support here in the America's.  A lot of their core fanchises just aren't popular here and the sony brand has been getting hammered pretty heavily here as well. 

4.  This is a temporary bump due to FFXIII demo bundle, they are almost equal now.  You also have to realize Monster Hunter 3 is coming out exclusively for the wii, which will drive huge numbers of wii's.  Also, the japanese market really doesn't have any bearing on the US market.  Two completely different cultures with very different interests. 

5.  This is kind of premature, as E3 hasn't happened yet which is where MS typically does most of their big game announcements.  You have to understand that most the ps3 games that have been announced coming out this year, have been announced for a long time and most of them have missed their initial release dates.  That is why 2009 is so loaded for Sony prior to E3.  Still, Microsoft still has Halo odst which will probably sell more than any other title this year. 

Fact of the matter is, Sony needs to fix their american business.  Console sales gain momentum based on install base.  The more people that own a system, the more people that want it.  People tend to buy the console their friends have.  Take me for example, I live in the u.s.  I have every console, but if I want to play online, I pretty much have to play on my 360.  I have over 70 people on my friends list on xbox live compared to 8 on psn.  I only know 8 people with ps3's.  As it is though, Sony needs to do something drastic to drive sells.  Having good games coming out isn't going to be enough to drive ps3 sales, Sony is going to have to do more.