By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Charts Week 17 (04/20/09 - 04/26/09)

Rei said:

This either means that Monster Hunter is still nowhere near as popular as Final Fantasy in Japan and people do not wish to buy a home console for it, or that Nintendo didnt really bother to make many hardware bundles with it like Sony did with ACC.

Edit: There is a bundle with the classic controller, however, so ...

The bundle only includes the Classic Control, not the console and it's sold pretty well. I'm not sure about the number but Final Fantasy, Drafon Quest and Pokemon are more popular than Monster HUnter. (Now I'm wondering why Nintendo doesn't make a MMO type version of Pokemnon for consoles)

Around the Network

LOL! Why did I get carried away by people? I should have stood by my prediction that Wii was going to be outsold by the PS3 this week.

But I stand by this prediction, that the worst Wii HW numbers ever will be seen in between May and July for the Wii in Japan. I won't trust the Japanese preview anymore when it comes to HW.

Now there's no chance Wii will see a bump in sales by any of the upcoming games until WSR. And there's a chance that most of the upcoming games will sell very poorly (Kizuna, Tact of Magic, ARF, PES09) It won't be until September or beyond when MH3 arrives that Wii will see an increase in sales. If the MH3 Demo didn't help and PS3 still outsold the Wii it's time to get worried about the Wii in Japan.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Lol go Wii !

So over the last few months we heard :
- Muramasa, then Deca Sports 2, then Monster Hunter G will boost sales.

What is the next savior now ?
And you guys were laughing your ass at PS3 fanboys mentioning a new PS3 savior every 6 months...

And yeah the Japanese preview is so unreliable, I'm not even sure why we still run that...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

outlawauron said:
alfredofroylan said:
k1s3k1 said:
next week is golden week, so should be bump in sales

For who ? That's the question.

Everyone. It should be interesting to see how it plays.

@ Star Scream

I agree to an extent. This should just prove that MH is simply a better game on a portable.

still a 3-4 yr old port of the game sold that much... imagine MH3 tri numbers

kopstudent89 said:
outlawauron said:
alfredofroylan said:
k1s3k1 said:
next week is golden week, so should be bump in sales

For who ? That's the question.

Everyone. It should be interesting to see how it plays.

@ Star Scream

I agree to an extent. This should just prove that MH is simply a better game on a portable.

still a 3-4 yr old port of the game sold that much... imagine MH3 tri numbers

MH3 might do well.

The real question after this week is : 'Will it boost Wii hardware sales that much'

And I'm not sure the answer is yes...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Perhaps it's just me but shouldn't Wii Sports Resorts 2 not mostly appeal to those people who already have a Wii for Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit?

I think Mediacreate will have the Wii under 20K and the PS3 over 23K

Um Ail

No one ever claimed Wii would

a) be saved in Japan. You can't be saved when your 5m ahead

b) get a long term boost from these titles

You think you are over-reacting much?

Second, Deca Sports 2 wasn't just my expectation as a big title. Hudson shipped 80,000 copies the first week. With those figures you have to figure Nintendo and Hudson both expected at least a bit of a bump. Finally, Monster Hunter G did boost sales for Wii this week. I'll give you Muramasa - that should never have been pitched as a boost. But the other two titles were sound expectations.

Alot of you were ready to massacre me for calling for a 40k PS3 drop this week, even though thats exactly what happened. If your going to knock me for missing Wii by 5k, at least recognize I got the harder prediction, the scale of the PS3 drop - correct.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

Bigger drop off than expected for PS3 (i figured it would hold to about ~23k) and smaller rise than expected for Wii. Its pretty much official that the systems will be tied in 2009 until Wii Sports Resort releases sometime in June. Since Wii is trending positively into Golden Week through (up 33%) while PS3 is not (down 66%) Wii is probably going to outsell PS3 over Golden Week.

But why u believe Wii will continue to rise, i mean Wii got a boast this week cuz of MH3 demo and bundle and PS3 went down cuz its coming from a FF7ACC week.. so definitely PS3 had to go down and Wii had to rise.. but next week there is not going to be any boast for Wii due to any reasonably known game.. so golden week will boast sales for both the consoles and i believe PS3 has more chance to get a bigger boast cuz of more well known games launched for it recently..

Japan market is hard to predict so just my opinion from outside.

Hero_time88 said:
Perhaps it's just me but shouldn't Wii Sports Resorts 2 not mostly appeal to those people who already have a Wii for Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit?

I agree. I don't see why people belive it will move tons of hardware.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB