By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Charts Week 17 (04/20/09 - 04/26/09)

If this is accurate, then I'm somewhat officially disturbed by the Japanese market. PS3 3k under what Id expected and Wii 6k under what I expected. Perhaps people are waiting for Golden Week sales?

Around the Network

Let's face it - MH failed. Badly. Right now it's one of the biggest franchises in Japan so fact it barely outsold PS2 version (when series were nowhere close to it's current popularity) means nothing. This game won't sell anywhere close to it's handheld incarnation. Believe and mark my signature.

Perhaps the japanese are just moving towards handheld gaming?

mM
kber81 said:

Let's face it - MH failed. Badly. Right now it's one of the biggest franchises in Japan so fact it barely outsold PS2 version (when series were nowhere close to it's current popularity) means nothing. This game won't sell anywhere close to it's handheld incarnation. Believe and mark my signature.

it's only a port of the PS2 game.

Ail said:
Star Scream said:
Hero_time88 said:
Perhaps it's just me but shouldn't Wii Sports Resorts 2 not mostly appeal to those people who already have a Wii for Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wii Fit?

Exactly what I've been thinking...

I coudn't agree more....

In the same way that I don't see Punch Out giving a bigger boost in the West than MHG did in Japan...

The Wii sold like mad because it was everywhere in the news ( heck even on OpraH) and it was hard to find.

Both those things are over and combine that with the recession and you will find out that the majority of gaming purchases are once again going to be made by more traditional gamers.

The people that got on board with Blue ocean are now moving on to things like the Iphone....

Allow me to defend the Wii for a moment but...

The strength of the Wii has been a steady stream of ultra-casual titles that continue to appeal and cater to new Blue Ocean members. First, we had Wii Sports/Play, then Fit, then other decent games to hold the Wii into mid 2008 before the wheels started to come off. I don't see Fit being some sort of huge spectacle that was the Wii's last gasp of catering to the casuals.

WSR will come out, and Nintendo may cut the price on the Wii in Japan, and market the heck out of WSR. As much as it will appeal to the current base, thanks to the WM+ I think that it's a fun-looking title that may look to get more adopters that have been outside of the current stream of owners. The Wii is casual, but the price may not quite be there yet. A price drop and a AAA casual game (not so much AAA in quality, but in fun and playability for casuals) could do wonders. We may have the best days of the Wii behind us, like Winter/Spring 08's heyday when we had Fit, Kart and SSBB, but I think that Nintendo can get the Wii back to solid 30k+ sales with a few easy moves.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
jonop said:

it's only a port of the PS2 game.

Nope. It's Monster Hunter Tri demo with so cool and entirely fresh attempt to controls in MH universe. lol

Zlejedi said:

Looks like MH3demo moved grand total of 5k systems :D

I think that's a pretty decent bump actually.  It's not as if the demo was bundled with Monster Hunter decaled Wii systems like the Final Fantasy demo. 

I do expect Media Create to have it lower though (based upon the recent data differences between in and Famitsu).

kopstudent89 said:
outlawauron said:
alfredofroylan said:
k1s3k1 said:
next week is golden week, so should be bump in sales

For who ? That's the question.

Everyone. It should be interesting to see how it plays.

@ Star Scream

I agree to an extent. This should just prove that MH is simply a better game on a portable.

still a 3-4 yr old port of the game sold that much... imagine MH3 tri numbers

Oh, the game itself sold well. It just didn't move hardware.

I thought the demo would push more if it were to actually be growing franchise rather than a portable megahit.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

@Star Scream: Do you know any sales figures for Demon's Souls for the past week?

Ail said:
Lol go Wii !

So over the last few months we heard :
- Muramasa, then Deca Sports 2, then Monster Hunter G will boost sales.

What is the next savior now ?
And you guys were laughing your ass at PS3 fanboys mentioning a new PS3 savior every 6 months...

And yeah the Japanese preview is so unreliable, I'm not even sure why we still run that...

Ail, I think you love the Wii more than the PS3.  You talk about and seem more concerned about its performance far more than you do the PS3.

As for a "savior", the Wii doesn't need a savior and I haven't heard anyone say that.  And Monster Hunter G did boost sales.