By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii's Weak Online Support

ookaze said:
This study is flawed anyway. It's clearly apparent by the methodology used. The study being in the USA with the XBox 360 having one year lead and the most marketshare, you bet that they wrongly conclude that online games sell better. They're fortunate to not have counted handheld games, which would completely destroy their argument.
But I can't say I'm surprised. Knowing who paid for this study, or who it was intended for, will be more insightful that this poor job, which clearly follows an agenda.
This stupid conclusion is the same nonsense that says M rated games sell better, going against every evidence from history. Hell, there's a chance it comes from the same stupid study actually.

Remember, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

I'm not quite sure what you are so upset about. Just because you don't agree with the results doesn't mean the study is flawed.

"They're fortunate to not have counted handheld games, which would completely destroy their argument." Please elaborate.

What does the 360 coming out a year before other consoles have to do with anything??? What's to say they didn't compare multiple 360 games with online functionality vs 360 games without it. 

Around the Network

Yea, Nintendo's online is pretty weak (Hell, Dreamcast had better online support) but I think they are at least they are trying. The wii can actually go online now without buying some bullshit adaptor; so thats one improvement. The wii actually has downloadable content; another plus. IT IS FINALLY GETTING SOME ONLINE GAMES FROM EA; that is a big plus for me. Hell, never before has a company as big as EA put out online games for any other nintendo console. Sure there are few online games to choose from now but there are still more online games on the wii than there are on the gamecube. I know that isn't much of an acheivement but the wii is relatively new. Give it time to mature and i'm sure Nintendo will have a large number of online games. I think Brawl and Mario Kart will show Nintendo's commitment to online; if those games aren't online then I don't see much of a future for Nintendo's online service in terms of online games.

W29 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
The games out currently were being made at Wii's launch or perhaps just afterwards. Online kits were sparse, support was obviously not there, and we knew the Wii's online would get better later.

Time goes by slowly, but by next year we'll be seeing online support from games that are being developed at this moment...so I'm not that worried. The technology and ability to have online Wii games is there...so they'll come.

When?

October/November, I forget has Medal of Honor I believe, with 32 players online FPS.  Brawl is like 75% chance online in December, Mario Kart is online early next year, there's quite a few games in between I'm sure as well.  More leaderboards in other games as well.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Arcturus said:

Some developers appear to be shifting to the model of releasing stripped-down games, and then making add-ons and additional content available for download.

Personally I'd rather not have crippled games with the interntion of bleeding additional money out of the consumer then online support.

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arcturus said:

"as another recent article states that games with online functionality tend to sell better than those without it."

The data presented in that 'press release' was out of context and misleading.  All that was compared was revenue among games for all three systems in the US since the launch of the 360.  Nothing was taken into consideration regarding how many consoles have been sold in the territory versus how many copies of the games were sold.  One would expect that the 360, a console focused on online gaming that also happens to have the largest installed base in the US, would dominate the sales data collected. 

No numbers were provided to back up the company's claims since this 'announcement' was designed to drum up business for sales of this company's 'research'.  Also keep in mind that they are the same company who declared that M rated games sell more than any other titles.  Apparently, Guitar Hero, Madden, and Pokemon need to add some adult content soon or face extinction.   

If anyone has access to this report, I'd love to see the data they've put together and how they came up with these 'conclusions'.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Around the Network
Steve 3.2 said:
Arcturus said:

"as another recent article states that games with online functionality tend to sell better than those without it."

The data presented in that 'press release' was out of context and misleading. All that was compared was revenue among games for all three systems in the US since the launch of the 360. Nothing was taken into consideration regarding how many consoles have been sold in the territory versus how many copies of the games were sold. One would expect that the 360, a console focused on online gaming that also happens to have the largest installed base in the US, would dominate the sales data collected.

No numbers were provided to back up the company's claims since this 'announcement' was designed to drum up business for sales of this company's 'research'. Also keep in mind that they are the same company who declared that M rated games sell more than any other titles. Apparently, Guitar Hero, Madden, and Pokemon need to add some adult content soon or face extinction.

If anyone has access to this report, I'd love to see the data they've put together and how they came up with these 'conclusions'.

I agree that the press release lacks detail as to how they reached their conclusions, but why are some of you assuming they only compared games across consoles (i.e. a Wii game against a 360 game). Whats to say they didn't compare games only by the same console (360 game against a 360 game)?

Regardless, it's not particularly illuminating. Perhaps they only compared 360 games with online to 360 games without online. Your averages are skewed because virtually all of the big budget 360 games have online functionality, while you've got a bunch of throw-aways and movie games without online functionality. Gears of War and Madden were going to outsell Harry Potter whether they had online or not.

You really need to control for budget when running this sort of thing.

I'd just love the option of being able to play online multiplayer, but since I live out in the country (as beautiful as it is), I don't get that option. ;_;

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

1. The article is effective up to June 1. Nintendo didn't release their online network until June 25th with Pokemon Battle Revolution.

2. Wii developers didn't receive Wii Online dev kits until January. Every game out right now was already in development so adding online content is difficult if it's not allocated for from the beginning.

3. Considering both of the above, many games now include it to some degree and dozens more have been confirmed it will be included in future titles.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

twesterm said:
What does that report count as online functionality? Like would Bioshock be counted as online since it's connected to Live?

Huh?  I'm confused, what do you mean by "connected to Live"?  Aren't ALL Xbox360 games connected to Live to the same extent that BioShock is? 

This says 23% of Xbox360 games don't have online support, Metacritic lists 246 Xbox360 games, so that would be around 56 games, and I assume that includes BioShock. 

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick