By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii's Weak Online Support

I think most of us are aware of the Wii’s current lack of online support for games. A recent article stated that only 2% of Wii games have online functionality (compared to 67% for the PS3, and 77% for the 360). Online functionality for games seems to be quite important to both gamers and developers as another recent article states that games with online functionality tend to sell better than those without it.

There is also the question of additional content for games. Some developers appear to be shifting to the model of releasing stripped-down games, and then making add-ons and additional content available for download. To date, the 360 version of Guitar Hero II has sold over 650,000 song package downloads (over 2,000,000 individual songs).  While the Wii version of Guitar Hero III will support online play, it has yet to be determined whether the Wii version will support additional song downloads.

How do you think this affects Nintendo? Could Nintendo lose developer support, and ultimately momentum/market share over this? How can Nintendo overcome this obstacle? What are your thoughts?

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=133148

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/1987/206/

Around the Network

They need more online games, PRONTO!!!!

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Yeah, that is one thing I am really looking forward to as 2008 rolls by. wii online support. We have to remember that Nintendo has only had 1 year to build infrastructure. MS and Sony have been doing it for a lot longer on PC games.

With the exception of Massively Multiplayer games, most games which have online multiplayer tend to only have a small portion of the people who bought the game ever use the game online. With a game like a Sports Game or Racer where implementing the online portion of the game is minimal (because single player maps are the same as multiplayer maps) it makes sense to implement this feature anyways ... In other games (including FPS like Bioshock or Unreal Tournament) I think it is important that developers focus on what they're good at rather than trying to implement features because they are cool among a small portion of the population.

What does that report count as online functionality? Like would Bioshock be counted as online since it's connected to Live?

Around the Network

The games out currently were being made at Wii's launch or perhaps just afterwards. Online kits were sparse, support was obviously not there, and we knew the Wii's online would get better later.

Time goes by slowly, but by next year we'll be seeing online support from games that are being developed at this moment...so I'm not that worried. The technology and ability to have online Wii games is there...so they'll come.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

twesterm said:
What does that report count as online functionality? Like would Bioshock be counted as online since it's connected to Live?

The report states "The study, which examined more than 400 games for Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii through June 1, found that titles supporting online multiplayer bring in twice the amount of sales than those without. Even games with minimal online support tend to make almost 25 percent more revenue than offline games."

So I guess connected to Live counts.

How much would casuals benefit from online play? Nintendo's online model so far is that you should only play with Real Life friends. A very different model from the X360/PS3.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

I wouldnt say it has weak online support.

2008 end of year predictions:

PS3: 22M

360: 25M

wii: 40M

Chadius said:
How much would casuals benefit from online play? Nintendo's online model so far is that you should only play with Real Life friends. A very different model from the X360/PS3.

Well actually, I may agree with you.  I game online with PC, and online gaming on 360 is fun, but I generally play Wii with my friends in the same room...and that's the way it mainly should be.

Playing the Wii with my friends together is very fun, such as playing Strikers, SSBM, whatever.  But if I wanted to play against my friends in different states on Strikers, I have the option.  Having the option in most games is nice.  I don't NEED online for Brawl, but it would certainly rock, because then I can play with my friends anywhere, as well as play against online friends like people on this site, or perhaps online tournaments as well.

So it's all beneficial...not totally necessary to me though.  Not every Wii gamer is a "casual" by the way.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )