By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii's Weak Online Support

zackblue said:
I wouldnt say it has weak online support.
Then would you say they have a plethora of piñatas...I mean....online support?

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Around the Network
mancandy said:
zackblue said:

I think it would be more fair to judge the games released since the Wii's first online game against these numbers. The Wii still has less online games but there have been some games that use the Wii's online to pass data back and fourth between friends and we can see clearly that online games are coming. I would say that before the Wii's online officially launched... it's a no draw there... games had no online as it didn't exist. Now that it does exist give the Wii the same amount of time as the other two and count up how many games have online comparitively. I still believe that due to the amount of Wii games which are being shoveled out we'll still see a lot less online games for quite awhile. By the end of the generation the total number across each system might be closer but there will be huge percentage gaps between each systems own games with/without online.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

BenKenobi88 said:
Chadius said:
How much would casuals benefit from online play? Nintendo's online model so far is that you should only play with Real Life friends. A very different model from the X360/PS3.

Well actually, I may agree with you. I game online with PC, and online gaming on 360 is fun, but I generally play Wii with my friends in the same room...and that's the way it mainly should be.

Playing the Wii with my friends together is very fun, such as playing Strikers, SSBM, whatever. But if I wanted to play against my friends in different states on Strikers, I have the option. Having the option in most games is nice. I don't NEED online for Brawl, but it would certainly rock, because then I can play with my friends anywhere, as well as play against online friends like people on this site, or perhaps online tournaments as well.

So it's all beneficial...not totally necessary to me though. Not every Wii gamer is a "casual" by the way.

Good points. More options are good (usually.) Especially for 3rd party developers, who would stop calling the Wii port handicapped (see Midway's opinions on the Wii Mortal Kombat game.)

I'm well aware that Wii Owner != Casual Gamer. Sorry if I implied otherwise.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

2%, thats quite pathetic.

3rd partys sure wont be jumping to make wii games online, its just much easier on the 360 or PS3. So its all on nins shoulders.

Hus said:
2%, thats quite pathetic.

3rd partys sure wont be jumping to make wii games online, its just much easier on the 360 or PS3. So its all on nins shoulders.

^ I'll let someone else respond to that comment.

Didn't nintendo just recently let 3rd parties make online games for the wii? Maybe thats why so far not many wii games are online.

Official member of the Sonic Support Squad!

Bet with OriGin: Within 1 year Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be ahead of Mario Kart Wii (when aligning the one whole year from each region). 2 week ban from Vgchartz for the loser. Edit: Darn! Looks like OriGin will win.

Around the Network

This study is flawed anyway. It's clearly apparent by the methodology used. The study being in the USA with the XBox 360 having one year lead and the most marketshare, you bet that they wrongly conclude that online games sell better. They're fortunate to not have counted handheld games, which would completely destroy their argument.
But I can't say I'm surprised. Knowing who paid for this study, or who it was intended for, will be more insightful that this poor job, which clearly follows an agenda.
This stupid conclusion is the same nonsense that says M rated games sell better, going against every evidence from history. Hell, there's a chance it comes from the same stupid study actually.

Remember, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Just like people say without RPG's 360 is going to lack in that department. Well the Wii lacks in the online department and needs improvement quick!

BenKenobi88 said:
The games out currently were being made at Wii's launch or perhaps just afterwards. Online kits were sparse, support was obviously not there, and we knew the Wii's online would get better later.

Time goes by slowly, but by next year we'll be seeing online support from games that are being developed at this moment...so I'm not that worried. The technology and ability to have online Wii games is there...so they'll come.

When?

mancandy said:
zackblue said:

El Jefe, do you even know what a plethora is? /on topic I think most of the big devs are going to try and implement their own online and leave Nintendo (and friend codes) out of the loop like EA is doing.

Here is the full article from the firm that conducted the study: http://www.eedar.com/news/article.aspx?id=8

Sample findings include:
  • Despite online connectivity being a big marketing aspect for these new consoles, 45% of retail games are not utilizing it in any way. 98% of Nintendo Wii games have no online functionality at all.
  • Mature rated titles, comprising 10% of all US retail games examined, have both the highest average Metacritic scores and the highest average gross sales in the United States. This is despite not being offered for sale at some major retailers.  
  • Games which achieved a Metacritic score above 90 grossed sales up to 531% more than the industry average, but were less than 2% of all titles released.
  • The Action genre is the most prevalent in the market at 24% of all available titles, through the Shooter genre has the highest gross sales. 
  • The Nintendo Wii released more than twice the number of retail and downloadable game titles than either the PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 during the first 7 months each platform’s launch.
The comprehensive report also includes a full listing of all retail and downloadable games for the period, along with an industry summary and detailed analysis of each console and its available game titles, performance metrics and market position.

Research Methodology

EEDAR gathers its information from a variety of sources.   Where information is publicly available from an authoritative source, such as the issuer or the responsible industry agency, that data is used as authoritative.  All authoritative information is then double checked by an EEDAR researcher through direct observation or by cross referencing the data with other authoritative sources. 

Where information is not publicly available, EEDAR's internal staff performs directed studies to gather the appropriate data.  Each researched fact has an objective observation system which ensures that researcher bias is eliminated.  Our data research is performed by multiple researchers simultaneously to ensure that individual facts are crosschecked before being input into the classification system established for that fact.  Once information has been entered in the EEDAR Games Database, quality assurance staff review the data using boundary analysis tools to identify errors and pinpoint difficulties in the classification systems.  Our quality assurance team maintains rigorous performance metrics and ensures that each report is validated to the highest quality standards.

About EEDAR

Headquartered in San Diego, Calif., EEDAR is a research firm founded by interactive entertainment veterans in 2007. The company's mission is to serve the contemporary needs of publishers and developers in understanding and navigating the electronic entertainment and games market. For more information on EEDAR, please visit www.eedar.com.