By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people criticize PS3 for sales

I would HOPE that the PS3 is #1 on Amazon.uk.....It's coming out, isn't it? I am certain the 360 was #1 on the UK charts during its launch. Nothing really amazing. What's more important is that it stays #1 for awhile.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

vanguardian1 said: Wha? 4 million launch? Sell-out? I don't know what you're smoking, but you can keep it. :p And last we heard the PS3 still has plenty of pre-order units available from the "1 million" launch numbers that were the last confirmed numbers. Yes, the PS3 will get a huge boost this month, but I think you guys are staring at the sun too much. 0,o
Wow, I do not believe I missed this. "Initial shipments" in both japan and america sold out. Lol, what a rumor. Dance around it, make jokes, but it is highly likely that the first shipment will sell out. Your just worried cuz it would put the PS3 ahead of the Wii in terms of worldwide sales.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

ok to make it fair lets compare number just from NA and Japan. Here is how it stands......(VG Charts Numbers) 6.14 million Xbox 360 4 million Wii 2.09 million PS3 so the PS3 is still almost 2 million behind it's closest competion in the same areas but who knows what it will be by the end of the month if they can sell 2mil (I don't know who many was shipped) it could be a good race, but 2mil in a month is alot to sell.

roadkillers said: Lynn said: ---------PS3---------360------------- Nov 197,000 511,000 Dec 490,700 1,100,000 Jan 244,000 294,000 Even without the 1 year head start the 360 is beating the PS3 in sales. This gap will only widen when the 360 has a price drop and Halo 3 is released. Do you realise that the PS3 couldnt sell that many because there wasnt enough units for launch in Nov, Dec, and part of Jan? When PS3 units were then getting on shelves it was half way through Jan, and it looks like the 360 is only about 55,000 copy's above.
Same thing for the WII. Or better say... that counts more for the WII. Do you realize how many people like for example in the Netherlands are "still" waiting for the WII? I've contacted Nintendo a few times as a friend of mine is still waiting as well while 3 pre orders are still running since December! They say that they're at maximum production for all regions but still can't fill the shelves as in no time the console is sold out again as soon as they're coming in. If the WII would be much more available the sales would have been higher then that. I'm positive sure about that. PS3 hasn't fully sold out with release at least not in the BeNeLux, about 25.000 pre orders and 50.000 units available, people are still able to reserve their console and stores say that the console will be available even if you didn't have a pre order. Considering my friend again with his 3 pre orders at 3 different stores and still no WII after three months? I call that a huge difference. And I hate it when Playstation fanboys are targeting on Nintendo and on the WII so I'd say join the club

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Good post Alacrist. The big issue with the PS3's sales for me is that its not closing the gap on the 360 or the Wii, it is falling further behind each month. Maybe the Euro launch will help Sony reverse that trend. We should find out in the next two weeks. BTW Welcome to the forums WiiGirl76. Wii's are hard to find everywhere it seems They are difficult to find here in the US as well. Nintendo is supposed to be upping production by 300,000 units a month soon. So hopefully that will help with availibility.

Around the Network

Darc Requiem said: Good post Alacrist. The big issue with the PS3's sales for me is that its not closing the gap on the 360 or the Wii, it is falling further behind each month. Maybe the Euro launch will help Sony reverse that trend. We should find out in the next two weeks.
Mmm ,in the two markets that it is competing it is closing the gap .FOr example in January it sold 40K consoles less in NA but more than 40K more than the X360 in Japan .Once it launches in Europe this will become more apparent .

staticneuron said: vanguardian1 said: Wha? 4 million launch? Sell-out? I don't know what you're smoking, but you can keep it. :p And last we heard the PS3 still has plenty of pre-order units available from the "1 million" launch numbers that were the last confirmed numbers. Yes, the PS3 will get a huge boost this month, but I think you guys are staring at the sun too much. 0,o Wow, I do not believe I missed this. "Initial shipments" in both japan and america sold out. Lol, what a rumor. Dance around it, make jokes, but it is highly likely that the first shipment will sell out. Your just worried cuz it would put the PS3 ahead of the Wii in terms of worldwide sales.
Didn´t Sony want to ship "one" million PS3´s to Europe? I mean how could they ship 4 million units when there are 2.09 million sold and they want to ship 6 million maximum worldwide till march 31? Will they stop shipping units to the US and Japan? Honestly when the Wii launched in Europa everyone was excited because 700k consoles were sold so fast. That was the fastest launch we ever had in europe and it was an awesome thing that there were no consoles left. Believe me, one week before the Wii launched everyone exepcted there would still be plenty of consoles left because there was NEVER such a huge sell-out before the Wii. So we were surprised 700k consoles were sold in 2 weeks. How should Sony sell 4 million in launch period? That would be impossible...?

Kwaad said: All I gotta say is. The PS3 is gonna fail horribly in Europe. #1 PS3 #1 #2 360 #18 #3 Wii #78 Heh... Horribly... Horribly fail... Yes indeed... Fail... fail... fail... buhahahahahahaa... Ok seriously. The PS3 is rocking amazon.co.uk
First off you realize that performance on a single site does not represent a larger trend, right? On top of that it is only a sales ranking which doesn't really give much information. Hypothetically speaking, amazon.co.uk could have been receiving very small shipments of Wii systems because they are not a large retailer for Nintendo in the UK ... On the other hand maybe Sony said that they would ensure Amazon had enough systems to fill all pre-orders ... Or maybe the PS3 is just disproportionately popular in the UK ... Consider www.amazon.fr: #2 Wii #8 PS3 #9, #10, #90 DS Lite #22 DS #40 VSmile Pocket www.amazon.de: #7 Wii #29,#40 DS Lite #58 DS #64,#86 Gameboy Micro *Not sure about germany... don't speak german

Diomedes1976 said: Darc Requiem said: Good post Alacrist. The big issue with the PS3's sales for me is that its not closing the gap on the 360 or the Wii, it is falling further behind each month. Maybe the Euro launch will help Sony reverse that trend. We should find out in the next two weeks. Mmm ,in the two markets that it is competing it is closing the gap .FOr example in January it sold 40K consoles less in NA but more than 40K more than the X360 in Japan .Once it launches in Europe this will become more apparent .
-------Wii----------PS3-----------------360 Nov 06 538,500 Nov 06 222,250 Nov 06 587,250 Dec 06 704,750 Dec 06 537,750 Dec 06 1,320,250 Jan 07 485,000 Jan 07 275,500 Jan 07 332,250 How is that outselling in NA? Now since Japan charts aren't monthly i'm not going to post them(it takes to long) but you do have a point there because the PS3 has a 397,000 unit lead over the 360 now on the other hand the Wii has a 1,050,250 unit lead on the PS3 and continues to outsell it every week in Japan (even though it was much closers with the release of Gundam). So as far the 360 yes it's catching up but will it surpass without the numbers picking up in NA, and as far the Wii will it suppass it at all? (That's if the Wii keeps selling like it is)

I think it was Shams who nailed it. People are coming down on the PS3 because it's not repeating the smashing success of the PS2. It's having lackluster sales as compared to it's competition, and it's not the system with momentum. Also, I'd like to add that the PS3 hate wouldn't be as high if any of the following occured 1. The PS3 was released earlier, in which case it would be quite close to the 360 in sales 2. Nintendo's new system wasn't the innovative, low priced, headline grabbing and high selling Wii. If Nintendo had a gamecube 2 out right now, they'd have few systems sold and few people interested in it, leaving most people criticizing them instead of Sony 3. It were cheaper. Really, it's the most expensive system since the 3D0. That's the kind of thing that warrants criticism 4. If it had one or two more good launch titles. Most people complain because they can say "It only had one good title, and a bunch of 360 ports!" This is one complaint thats getting harder to make as more games come out though. 5. There is no 5 6. If it launched simultaneously in Europe. I say this only because the lack of a launch there leaves it to speculation. Speculation that goes both ways of course, with some people claiming that Europe will be the PS3's saviour. But for those that do criticise it, it allows them to make bold - and likely wrong - statements about how the PS3 will fare there once released.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.