By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people criticize PS3 for sales

People say it fails exactly because of what you said. They are in last place in sales, so technically they fail in comparison. Your right about it not being launched in Europe and not having a year head start, but their not selling out. It doesn't mean thats bad, but it is just another stupid fact people like to throw around for fan wars. It really doesn't mean anything and you should just ignore people who use such numbers for that kind of bullcrap.

Around the Network

They don't criticize because of units sold, they do it because it sucks.

Well it's not selling bad by historical launch standards. The only way it could be spun as selling bad is by saying "hey, it's a Sony system so shouldn't it be selling better than that?" In the end unless anyone here has a crystal ball stop judging how the PS3 will ultimately do by its first few months. It's stupid. The PS2 had its peak selling month in Dec of 2002, over two years into it's lifespan. Maybe the PS3 won't be at it's peak for three years. Console cycles are marathons. Sony has a long term approach with the PS3. The Wii and 360 are certain to do better in the short term, but they're just less well built for success five years from now. I'm not calling the PS3 the future winner however as that would be equally as silly as calling it the loser.

PS3 has been doing bad b/c it's more-developed games haven't came out yet. It takes time to make good games and within 2-3 months, we will see what the PS3 really has to offer in terms of hardware. Secondly, it will rue the day for the following: 1. Future price reductions 2. Home, and future versions of game downloads, which is probably one of Sony's biggest strengths. 3. The blu-ray capability. Also, keep in mind that sony made a system that would be able to reach consumer's ever more ambitous standards in terms of quality, and did this for what they thought that the consumers would demand a few years from now. So, while it might be too much of a hot-ticket now, that problem will be blunted with time.

Btw, the PS3 is standing at about 38% of the Wii's worldwise sales..I expect it to break to around 43 or 44% of the Wii's sales this month and increase after that as well, but we'll just have to see.

Around the Network

All I gotta say is. The PS3 is gonna fail horribly in Europe. #1 PS3 #1 #2 360 #18 #3 Wii #78 Heh... Horribly... Horribly fail... Yes indeed... Fail... fail... fail... buhahahahahahaa... Ok seriously. The PS3 is rocking amazon.co.uk

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

All I know is that there is a high chance that the 4 mill lined up for europe will pretty much sell out. Initial shipments of most consoles sell out. That number might very well put the PS3 over the Wii in terms of worldwide sales. After this happens I wonder if people will continue to say the PS3 is doing horrible.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Wha? 4 million launch? Sell-out? I don't know what you're smoking, but you can keep it. :p And last we heard the PS3 still has plenty of pre-order units available from the "1 million" launch numbers that were the last confirmed numbers. Yes, the PS3 will get a huge boost this month, but I think you guys are staring at the sun too much. 0,o

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

I have heard rumours from within SCEE that the figure for consoles available in pal countries is now much closer to 1.4 m . I believe the UK is being allocated an extra 50k taking it close to 300k . I think there aint anyway in hell that they will all be sold at launch . It's march ffs not xmas and i think the main reason for the excess is there aren't going to be many more coming in b4 xmas .

Proud owner of Ps4/3ds xl/pc/vita/wii u and others.

Gamer till I die

I can't really speak for continental europe, but in the UK I have very little doubt the PS3 will sell well. My local game was still promising launch day consoles despite having taken 160 pre-orders. THis really helped confirm to me the theory that the numbers being made available were far higher than for other launches, it's especially impessive given the strong 360 sales and high demand for the Wii.