By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do people criticize PS3 for sales

I just wanna say this. I was talking to someone... somewhere in europe... I dont rember where *crys* and he said he made like 300,000/year. And most of his friends made 200,000/year. After converting the currency to USD. That was like 50,000-75,000$/year. These guys were 19-22. Makeing more than a career person in america. They could EASILY afford a 1000$PS3. Compared to me trying to buy a 600$ PS3. 75,000$ - 1,000$ = 74,000$ 1.4% of yearly income. 14,000$ - 600$ = 13,400$ 5% of yearly income. I wish I lived there, and could pay 1000$ for my PS3. Compared to income, I payed, 3x more.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

Kwaad said: I just wanna say this. I was talking to someone... somewhere in europe... I dont rember where *crys* and he said he made like 300,000/year. And most of his friends made 200,000/year. After converting the currency to USD. That was like 50,000-75,000$/year. These guys were 19-22. Makeing more than a career person in america. They could EASILY afford a 1000$PS3. Compared to me trying to buy a 600$ PS3. 75,000$ - 1,000$ = 74,000$ 1.4% of yearly income. 14,000$ - 600$ = 13,400$ 5% of yearly income. I wish I lived there, and could pay 1000$ for my PS3. Compared to income, I payed, 3x more.
hmm can that somebody be me :) well most of my friend is around there, but I guess somewhere around 20-23. Hehe I have a friend that just stated to work in Norway, damn he is making a lot of money 35000 SEK a month. The money is there but at least my friends isn't buying it. It is not like everyboy feal that it is worth it yet. (I do think that in the long run ps3 will start moving some units, but they need a more casual games and price). I mean we in europe love guitarr hero, singstar and Buzz. ;) I do think that first in early 2008 ps3 will start to sell really well in Eu. (and 300k SEK = 42k USD, or actully less now when the USD is going up again. So it is 2.3% of the yearly income before tax) EDIT: ohh I live in Sweden, Gothenburg. But you get better payed in Norway :) (oil can do a lot) EDIT2: and that is before tax (30%)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Yea, I do not know what I am smokin' but for some reason I thought they had 4 mill up for launch. Please ignore my stupidity.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

Kwaad said: I just wanna say this. I was talking to someone... somewhere in europe... I dont rember where *crys* and he said he made like 300,000/year. And most of his friends made 200,000/year. After converting the currency to USD. That was like 50,000-75,000$/year. These guys were 19-22. Makeing more than a career person in america. They could EASILY afford a 1000$PS3. Compared to me trying to buy a 600$ PS3. 75,000$ - 1,000$ = 74,000$ 1.4% of yearly income. 14,000$ - 600$ = 13,400$ 5% of yearly income. I wish I lived there, and could pay 1000$ for my PS3. Compared to income, I payed, 3x more.
Well, when I first moved into Web-application development I was contracting out at $50 per hour (which, with how much I was working, put me in the $120,000 per year range); I'm currently working as an employee because I was advised that another year experience would make finding contracts earlier. I wouldn't have bought a PS3 when I was a contractor because I was saving for a house. A couple of my friends younger brothers went up to the tar-sands to work (at 21) and are making (roughly) $150,000 per year; the unfortunate problem is they can't really afford a PS3 because being a roughneck is hard work and they don't want to do it for long (so they're saving every penny) and they pay $3000 per month on rent in Fort-Mac. My point is, even if you're making a crap-load of money does not make something instantly inexpensive.

staticneuron said: Yea, I do not know what I am smokin' but for some reason I thought they had 4 mill up for launch. Please ignore my stupidity.
Even if they did, it wouldn't mean they would sell out, just because its a launch. They just wouldn't have any shortages. That's the bit I didn't understand.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Since the launch of Playstation, Sony put a focus on sales data. They where, of course, pimping their numbers because they where no.1. But now they are paying for it.

HappySqurriel said: My point is, even if you're making a crap-load of money does not make something instantly inexpensive.
The point is that what is considered expensive is relative. Special situations make it so that people cannot be able to afford it. I make between 42-45k a year. The PS3 is not that expensive to me.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

What a nonsense. People talking about salaries that a few people make. If the market of the PS3 is $75k+ salaries, it's bound to fail completely. I don't know for USA actually, but in France, I make in this range, and I'm in the 10% of the France population making the most in salary (meaning 90% of the population don't make as much). Some years ago, the mean was like 1600€ (before taxes !). Then again, this is the salary before taxes, food, lodging, commodities, kids, ... Calculating something from this without removing all the charges is meaningless. You calculate what it costs you from what you have left once all your mandatory charges are paid for ! Then you have some money left, and that's what you use to know how much it will cost you. And I'm not even counting the HDTV set yet. So less than 10 % homes in France could buy it at this rate. And England is 20 % of Europe in sales, and France 18 %. And NO, 19-22 people making $50k-75k range in salary is not the norm either, that's a very few elite people. Knowing lots of wealthy people because you yourself are wealthy, doesn't make everyone wealthy.

HappySqurriel said: Well, when I first moved into Web-application development I was contracting out at $50 per hour (which, with how much I was working, put me in the $120,000 per year range); I'm currently working as an employee because I was advised that another year experience would make finding contracts earlier. I wouldn't have bought a PS3 when I was a contractor because I was saving for a house. A couple of my friends younger brothers went up to the tar-sands to work (at 21) and are making (roughly) $150,000 per year; the unfortunate problem is they can't really afford a PS3 because being a roughneck is hard work and they don't want to do it for long (so they're saving every penny) and they pay $3000 per month on rent in Fort-Mac. My point is, even if you're making a crap-load of money does not make something instantly inexpensive.
I don't know if the Europeans make more or less than in North America. Things tend to be more expensive there in general so I don't know that I'd want to live there. I've also heard there is unemployment in some countries that make it look like a depression. Do you live in Canada Squirrel? I assume that's what you mean by the Tar-Sands. You web programmers! You must have been living it up in the 90s. I work as a mechanical engineer right now and despite all that education the average salary for an ME has not gone up for a while. It was 45k Median in 2000. I got out in 2004 and got the job I wanted in 2005 making 45k a year. I wasn't a slouch either, I was like #2 or #3 in GPA in my class. The job market got ridiculous after 9/11. And they outsourced a lot of the engineering jobs to India and China. I had an offer to work for Slumberge down in Texas and I would be on Oil Rigs in the gulf and down in South America. I also have a minor in Spanish so this would have worked, but I have a pretty bad knee and I have trouble standing all day. I would have been on 18-hour shifts for 2 weeks then off 1 week, and then back on, and so on. It would have been nice though, they paid for housing and food. I would have saved a buttload, but it would have been terrible. To the guy in France, I think they said something like 28% of American households make more than 250k a year. So yeah, there are a lot of rich people. America has 8 million millionares not counting the equity of their primary residence (meaning they have 1 million in cash, stock, or bonds). Still, I wouldn't target the rich is I wanted to be successful with normal eletronic products.

Stromprophet said: Do you live in Canada Squirrel? I assume that's what you mean by the Tar-Sands. You web programmers! You must have been living it up in the 90s. I work as a mechanical engineer right now and despite all that education the average salary for an ME has not gone up for a while. It was 45k Median in 2000. I got out in 2004 and got the job I wanted in 2005 making 45k a year. I wasn't a slouch either, I was like #2 or #3 in GPA in my class.
I live in Calgary and wasn't a web-programmer in the 90's ... I was cheap "labour" at a tiny and poorly run game developer for a few years (durring University and for about 2 years after I graduated), tried to start my own development house with friends and ran out of money before we could find a publisher and moved into web-development about 2 years ago; I worked as a contractor for about 15 months and took a position as an employee when I was told by several other contractors and head-hunters that with 3 years of experience as a web developer contracting will become much easier. Currently in Calgary anyone can find a job (my company is looking to hire 30 software developers) but the wages have not matched the cost of living increases; my rent on a 500 square foot apartment is $1200 per month.