By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - New Book - "Why Did the PS3 Fail?"

GranTurismo said:
I don't think the PS3 has failed, the thing costs $600, did they expect it to sell better then a system priced at $250.

Yeah.  They did.  We already established that point.

I'm sure you did too a year ago. 

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network
GranTurismo said:
I don't think the PS3 has failed, the thing costs $600, did they expect it to sell better then a system priced at $250.

Of course you don't think it's failed, you're a Sony fanboy.

-------

A book like this would benefit the market greatly if given more time before its release to better encompas all the factors that contributed to the PS3's lack luster performance. The launch is but one factor, Sony's mismanagement, poor console design, corporate funds, and lack of games are all other factors as well that can teach the industry a great deal of how to avoid this disaster in the future.

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/author.php?author=8

This man is very insightful and wise, read it. 

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

What the hell have these forums been discussing for the last few months? Obviously the discussion has revolved often enough around this topic. So obviously it is not too early to analyze the situation. For the good of the industry it should be discussed at length. Can the industry afford a wait and see attitude? I would say no not with development cycles, and contrary momentum.

I do not think it is too early to judge. You have to start judging at some point in time, and with the anniversary fast approaching now is as good a time as any. Right now is when the discussion is most relevant. The reason any poster might think it is too early is they might still be banking on success, but really given what has happened how likely is that at this point?

I wonder what Gelmer was thinking 5 years ago , when the Gamecube , no matter what id did , remaind on last spot . Or he/she is one of those supporters whom shift there sides whenever a console is more successful ? Being a fanboy is not a sin , as long as you dont try and show it in your every post . Also being a PS fanboy is not a sin either especially because there are plenty of games to satisfy any gamers need .

The PS3 did not flop ... it will probably sell much batter in a year or so . If not than Il take of my hat in front of this writer , whom actually predicted its doom .

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

GranTurismo said:

Mr. Turismo.  With all do respect, SONY expected it to.  Sony expected to trounce the competition even at their 599 price tag.  This was a calculated move by Sony to equip their game system with a new format player to monopolize the dvd market.  They felt that there would be enough people like you around that would buy whatever was put in front of your face, as long as it said Playstation.  That is why the Sony fans are so vehement and passionate around here.  You know you got bamboozled by Sony, yet you wish more of us did so that you would feel secure with your console of choice.

Granted, Playstation had some great years.  And they earned them.  But when they turn around and try to work our emotions against our wallets it feels a little painful.  Sony had nothing lined up.  With all the effort they put into their system you would think they would have gotten the third-parties on board, too.  Instead most consumers are waiting until 2009 for the PS3 to even resemble the kind of system the PS2 was.  

So while this book may be a bit early (right on time from a publishers standpoint, mind you) it is dead on target.  If the PS3 only attains a 5-10 percent lead over the competitors, then the PS3 has failed.  Get your mind out of the idea of whether the PS3 is a good sytem and makes you happy.  This is about investor's dollars and market share.  You are not so blinded by passionate Sony love that you can not tell that Sony is in some serious trouble this generation.

Around the Network

Sorry but when the PS3 has actually failed to make a profit for Sony by the end of this gen(in 5-6 years) then you can write this book but until then you cant.No body wrote a book on why the Xbox failed? and the Xbox actually failed because it never made a profit.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

Why don't we make a book about how Nintendo home consoles had being doing very bad for over 20+ years. Each console selling worse then the one before, Nintendo failed big time.

Its also funny how you say the PS3 failed but it will sell more then the xbox and the GC sold combined.

GranTurismo said:
Why don't we make a book about how Nintendo home consoles had being doing very bad for over 20+ years. Each console selling worse then the one before, Nintendo failed big time.

Write it.  There is plenty of room on the shelves for videogame analysis.  I think the more exposure this sector gets the better.  I would love to read abook about NIntendo's missteps throughout the generations.  What is funny though, is that right now the book would have a happy ending, or at least an optimistic one.  Of course that all depends upon your editiorial slant.  What would you call the last chapter, Turismo?

GranTurismo said:

Its also funny how you say the PS3 failed but it will sell more then the xbox and the GC sold combined.

you're just looking for arguments now, cause you can't find anything relevant related to this generation of game consoles.

Let's make a book about how Nintendo regained its throne, i'm sure people will be interested in it way more.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

GranTurismo said:

Gran Turismo, you'd also have to do an analysis to state why Nintendo's home consoles have still made more profit than their competition for the past 20 years despite them selling fewer and fewer units than the competition. That would really be interesting.

on topic, I do not think that the PS3 has failed. Nor do I think it will sale as well as the Xbox 360 or the Wii. There is noting wrong with the PS3 selling less than the other two competitors. Sony will have acheived a couple of things. First developers will have become familar with the Cell Processor, keeping the cell processor arcitecture will make the PS4 cheaper, and Sony can launch the PS4 two years earlier than the other competitors.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba