By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - New Book - "Why Did the PS3 Fail?"

MontanaHatchet said:
I swear I've seen almost the exact same thread before...

You've seen it, but did you read it?

Around the Network
lenardo said:
why did the ps3 fail? they need a BOOK to analyze this? jeezzz.

1. Cell processor problems during development. poor yields etc.
2. having to halfway thru the dev process get a graphics chip since the cell was not panning out for graphical ability.
3. lack of MUST HAVE games at release
4-10000 PRICE!!!!

i can guaranttee that if the ps3 came out at 299 for the 20gig and 399 for the 60gig that the ps3 would have wiped the floor with the xbox360 and most likely the wii as well.

price is everything for the mass consumer.

I can guarantee that if the ps3 came out at 299 and 399, the Wii and the Xbox 360 would come out at 50 and 150, thus rendering your fantasy-world argument useless.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Way to early for this book

I found it interesting to read this comment from the blog, since I had never heard about any such problems for Sony in Japan:

"Reading comments from other sites that have been responding to this, I’m actually really surprised at how positive the English community thinks about the PS3. And I used to think that I knew the English community when it came to gaming…

Sony has a really bad name with Japanese communities on the net because they had an army of employees who would talk about how awesome their games were in every gaming blog and forums, then they got exposed everywhere because they always posted with a Sony IP."

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It is obviously not too early to label the PS3 as a failure in particular if you're talking about it from a marketing and business perspective ... The fact is that the PS3 was supposed to be the most popular system of this generation and sell amazingly well right out of the gate, and it is struggling to not get left behind.

Even if you look at the sales expectations of Sony you will understand that the PS3 is performing far below their expectations. On March 31st Sony "Shipped" 5.5 Million consoles and expected to sell an additional 11 Million consoles before March 31st of 2008; even if you give them a 2 Million unit buffer that leaves them selling 10 Million units in a little over 6 months (a realistic estimate would be 4 million units over the next 6 months)

Around the Network

The battle in this thread will be epic.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
Space20man said:

I believe the author is saying the current situation is a failure. But... to use an analogy, if a person fails kindergarten it doesn't mean they can't graduate from college with honors.

I hate threads like this.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

regin2005 said:
I hate threads like this.

i hate prediction sigs

especially ones that have a 100% chance of failing *cough* Wii +3m minimum *cough* :D:D

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

fkusumot said:
Space20man said:

I believe the author is saying the current situation is a failure. But... to use an analogy, if a person fails kindergarten it doesn't mean they can't graduate from college with honors.

I would use a slightly different analogy ...

The PS3 is in a school system which doesn't allow a student to be held back regardless of performance. The PS3 failed to learn the alphabet in kindergarden and because of that failed to learn how to read in grade 1; it is now entering grade 2 without the necessary skills needed to perform well in that grade. There is nothing that says they can't graduate from college with honors, but right now it will have a difficult time graduating high-school without some sort of intervention.