By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - id Boss: 3rd-Party Wii Development "Not Really Justified"

Guess this video fit here perfectly3.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Around the Network

I think that the wii remote is what turns alot of developers away from the wii. Now if the wii had a more "traditional" game pad more developers might be willing to make a serious effort. The wii remote is still seen as sort of a gimmick to alot of people.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

My Most Wanted Games: StarCraft II, Diablo III, Next console Zelda, and Final Fantasy VII remake.

NJ5 said:

4- Good quality 3rd party titles have had success on the platform.

You already know what the next response is going to say, right?

I think what he means to say is developers just don't/can't/won't take advantage of the Wiimote the way Nintendo obviously has to appeal to a mass casual audience. Conduit, Mad World etc, that can be done on the HD consoles but Wii Fit would require extra peripherals.

noname2200 said:
NJ5 said:

Something about Madworld?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
NJ5 said:

Oh I know! It'll ask what quality third party games the Wii actually has!

NJ5 said:

Something about Madworld?

puffy said:

Oh I know! It'll ask what quality third party games the Wii actually has!

Little from Column A, little from Column B. Just another day-in-the-life, I suppose.

NJ5 said:

Just one more thing:

if you're a third-party developer, I would say, "Show me what makes such a compelling case for the Wii.

Here is what makes a compelling case for the Wii:

1- It has nearly 50% of market share.
2- It's the platform which sells the most 3rd party software.
3- It's the platform with the cheapest development costs.
5- By developing for the Wii, you'll make your company and franchises known to many new gamers, and keep the previously existing ones mindful of them. The alternative is to let Nintendo regain most of the attention and brand recognition.
6- Focusing on the other platforms is proving financially disastrous.

Aren't those enough reasons to make a serious effort with Wii development?

With SO MANY companies posting losses (despite record revenue), I guess not.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

id is a company that produces game engines, and in particular are focused on the latest and greatest. Of course they aren't going to promote the Wii, not that there is anything wrong with that, it just isn't their market. What he is saying is just common sense for a company in their position.

NJ5 said:

Just one more thing:

if you're a third-party developer, I would say, "Show me what makes such a compelling case for the Wii.

Here is what makes a compelling case for the Wii:

1- It has nearly 50% of market share.
2- It's the platform which sells the most 3rd party software.
3- It's the platform with the cheapest development costs.
5- By developing for the Wii, you'll make your company and franchises known to many new gamers, and keep the previously existing ones mindful of them. The alternative is to let Nintendo regain most of the attention and brand recognition.
6- Focusing on the other platforms is proving financially disastrous.

Aren't those enough reasons to make a serious effort with Wii development?

Hmm, numbered lists are too inviting...

1) depending on your game, the effective target market share is much smaller. Let's say id wants to create a fps/racer, they look at the Wii and they see the sales of MP3, COD:WoW. From those the audience potentially interested in their games can probably be estimated into 7-8M.

2) the total number across genres is irrelevant for id.

3) false in this case. They are developing a multiplatform game for PC/360/PS3. It takes +30% more rather than developing it only for - say - PC. Enters the Wii: having lower res doesnt save them money. They already had to create the assets once, in HD and great detail. It is the only version that is radically different from the other ones in scaling down assets, scope, CPU requirements. In the end the Wii version is the most expensive port for them.

The mantra of lower cost must be taken with a pinch of salt.

4) a general statement. Would their game port be a good investment for them, given the limited audience and the extra costs? If Rage on Wii ends up selling 1M and they had to develop a port that took as much investment as an exclusive, was it worth?

5) you might have a point here

6) has to be proven in general. i don't think id or Valve are in financial troubles.

PS: I also wonder what game-centric IP means...

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman